Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Tea & Biscuits - To Dunk or Not to Dunk... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I try to dunk but I end up drowning it

ReputationRep:
    Get caramel digestives! The are more tea-resistant!

ReputationRep:
    I'd always done it, and then one day I was in my Mum's staffroom with a biscuit and a cup of tea, and I went to dunk it, and she turned around and said "Don't do that! You can't dunk biscuits in tea in public! It's really impolite!"

I was like . I'm 20 and I never knew that - I mean, they make biscuits specially for it. Has anyone else ever encountered this 'rule'???

ReputationRep:
    i love dipping a nice choccie biscuit into my coffee, it melts the chocolate and makes it all lovely and gooey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    I try to dunk but I end up drowning it
    you murderer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    you murderer
    The UK's most wanted biscuit murderer is on the loose.

(Original post by Octohedral)
    I'd always done it, and then one day I was in my Mum's staffroom with a biscuit and a cup of tea, and I went to dunk it, and she turned around and said "Don't do that! You can't dunk biscuits in tea in public! It's really impolite!"

I was like . I'm 20 and I never knew that - I mean, they make biscuits specially for it. Has anyone else ever encountered this 'rule'???
    Don't wanna be rude, but it sounds like your mum is talking a whole load of shizzlemanizzle. Unless she's referring to a strange form of table manners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    Don't wanna be rude, but it sounds like your mum is talking a whole load of shizzlemanizzle. Unless she's referring to a strange form of table manners.
    No, I thought it was weird too. She comes from an 'aspiring' working class background, so it's not a posh thing, but it could well be something that her mother thought was a posh thing.

I'll tell her it's a load of shizzlemanizzle from you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    No, I thought it was weird too. She comes from an 'aspiring' working class background, so it's not a posh thing, but it could well be something that her mother thought was a posh thing.

I'll tell her it's a load of shizzlemanizzle from you.
    When you tell her, make sure it's signed as

Ice Constricter ® :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I'm allergic to tea. :cry: My brother insists on doing it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schichtoe)
    The most obvious +1 rep I've ever seen. Well said.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Noo don't dunk! D:
    You just end up tasting the biscuit crumbs at the bottom of the tea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holby_fanatic)
    I'm allergic to tea. :cry: My brother insists on doing it though.
    Oh my good lord, you're allergic to tea?!?!

How do you survive life?!

ReputationRep:
    Don't use rich tea to dunk, it's too thick unless you're using a big mug.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my good lord, you're allergic to tea?!?!

How do you survive life?!
    Strawberry squash is my version of tea. I never really liked the taste of tea anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Blasphemous thread; always dunk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kittyb99)
    Get caramel digestives! The are more tea-resistant!
    These are amazing! Though totally messes up my digestive tea-timer. You can dunk for an extra 2 seconds!

ReputationRep:
    Basic question and one we've all faced.
    You're having a cup of tea, and you've got some biscuits. Do you or do you not dunk the biscuit in the tea?
    I personally NEVER dunk and I've never felt more strongly about anything than how I feel about this. Ok not really, but I dislike it.
    Dunking soggies up the biscuit, and it leaves gloop in the bottom of your tea mug. You want a bit of crisp to your biscuit and the tea comes in afterwards to cleanse your palate.
    Clearly, you haven't been keeping up with the revolutionary advances made by British scientists studying this important field ...

A TECHNIQUE for eating biscuits is likely to send ripples of pleasure through the tea parlours of middle England, courtesy of scientists who have developed the perfect dunk.

Mechanical engineers have devised a technique for dunking biscuits in hot tea that ensures they do not end up at the bottom of the cup.

According to a mathematical formula, the best dunking is done with a full cup at a shallow enough angle to ensure the top surface of the biscuit remains as dry as possible.

Dr Len Fisher, who led the research team from Bristol University, used a gold-plated digestive to investigate and concluded that the perfect dunk should be followed by smoothly twisting the biscuit 180 degrees, so that the dry side supports the weaker, soaked side.

People enjoy dunking because it releases about ten times the flavour of the biscuit compared with eating it dry, Dr Fisher said. Tests in the research, paid for by McVitie's, demonstrated that a post-dunk ginger nut is twice as strong as a dry digestive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    Clearly, you haven't been keeping up with the revolutionary advances made by British scientists studying this important field ...
    10 times as much flavour! What!

You've exposed my inadequate reading on the matter indeed... I'm really taken by the caramel digestives idea, too...

ReputationRep:
    Do not dunk coz usually the biscuit gets soggy n falls inside the cup!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    10 times as much flavour! What!

You've exposed my inadequate reading on the matter indeed... I'm really taken by the caramel digestives idea, too...
    Mmmm, caramel digestives do sound rather nice. I can't imagine the 'gold-plated digestives' used in the research I described were all that tasty.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2017
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.