The Student Room Group

Chemistry Enthalpy Hypothesis

Yo,

How does Temperature, Pressure and Volume affect Enthalpy in a neutralisation reaction?

I would appreciate if temperatuare and pressure points were explained briefly, while volume was explained more 'scientifically', as my hypothesis will be based on volume.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.
Original post by flawless97
Yo,

How does Temperature, Pressure and Volume affect Enthalpy in a neutralisation reaction?

I would appreciate if temperatuare and pressure points were explained briefly, while volume was explained more 'scientifically', as my hypothesis will be based on volume.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Enthalpy is dependent upon the volume and pressure change of the reaction.

H=U+pV

Therefore

Delta H= Delta U + Delta pV
Reply 2
Original post by JMaydom
Enthalpy is dependent upon the volume and pressure change of the reaction.

H=U+pV

Therefore

Delta H= Delta U + Delta pV

hey, firstly thanks for replying.

BUT, that doesn't really tell me how it affects it and why, also I don't really know what pV, H, U, or what this Delta stuff is ://
hey, firstly thanks for replying.

BUT, that doesn't really tell me how it affects it and why, also I don't really know what pV, H, U, or what this Delta stuff is ://

This comes from basic thermodynamics. You should look this up if you want to cover enthalpy properly as it is very much Thermodynamics.
Reply 4
Yo,

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

thing is you don't even have a hypothesis yet. so get on with reading appropriate materials and start asking more directive questions.:wink:
Reply 5
Original post by shengoc
thing is you don't even have a hypothesis yet. so get on with reading appropriate materials and start asking more directive questions.:wink:

i do but in these ****ed up tasks you need to discuss all relevant factors instead of just a hypothesis on one factor

@JMaydom thanks ill look it up
Enthalpy AS definition: The number of ways in which particles can be arranged
Enthalpy A2 definition: The number of ways in which particles, and their associated quanta (energy) can be arranged.
Overall, entropy basically measures the degree of which particles are disordered in a system

Solids are highly organized and liquids are still somewhat ordered. Gases however are highly disordered moving around mostly independent of other atoms. Therefore gases have the highest entropy. I'm sure you can apply this general rule to the increase of temperature, pressure and volume :smile:
Original post by Simple Symphony
Enthalpy AS definition: The number of ways in which particles can be arranged
Enthalpy A2 definition: The number of ways in which particles, and their associated quanta (energy) can be arranged.
Overall, entropy basically measures the degree of which particles are disordered in a system

Solids are highly organized and liquids are still somewhat ordered. Gases however are highly disordered moving around mostly independent of other atoms. Therefore gases have the highest entropy. I'm sure you can apply this general rule to the increase of temperature, pressure and volume :smile:

As to your definitions of enthalpy.... if these are the definitions of enthalpy they are WRONG!
This is the definition of entropy! :smile:

I assume this was just a typo!

Quick Reply

Latest