Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Disadvantages of dumbells Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    At my current gym there is only 2 barbells and they are always busy at the times when I can go however they have a lot of dumbells so could someone explain any possible disadvantages of dumbells in comparison to barbells

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You may have to use a slightly lower weight if you're not used to dumbells, because they take more muscles to stabalise them and so forth, but there aren't really any major disadvantages to them.

ReputationRep:
    The main disadvantage on things like a dumbell bench is that you can kind of waste energy/tire yourself out a bit getting into position in between sets. The other thing is that typically, the weight gap between different dumbells is more than you could load a dumbbell with.

For example, at my old gym, I could increase the weight on the barbell by 2.5kg each time whereas the dumbbells went up in increments of 2kg (i.e. 4kg total). This might not seem like a big problem but if you work up to, say, a 3 rep max on dumbbells - you might even be struggling with singles on the next set up.

My solution is just to concentrate on getting stronger in a higher rep range (for DB bench anyway).

ReputationRep:
    You can use less weight with dumbbells, so they're worse for improving strength, as you aren't stressing your muscles quite as much.
    However, because you have to balance them, they give your stabiliser muscles a good workout, and they have no disadvantages in regard to mass building.
    They also help fix muscle imbalances.

ReputationRep:
    Your pbs are worthless on a dumbbell!

ReputationRep:
    Only disadvantage that springs to mind to me is that you can't lift as much weight as you perhaps can with a barbell.

You should still make gains with them though.

ReputationRep:
    dumbells are better.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    The difference between dumbbells and barbells is vice versa means their is bit change that is in dumbbells you get pressure on your wrist and arms and in barbells you feel pressure on full hand...

ReputationRep:
    I've always preferred dumbbells because of how versatile they are.

You will struggle to do squats and deadlifts with dumbbells, which is a bit of a disadvantage.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.