Oh dear, you shouldnt be thinking about such things. *smacks*
    *smacks*you back :mad: Just the thought makes me laugh so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    *smacks*you back :mad: Just the thought makes me laugh so much
    Ah yes, but you shouldnt air those thoughts. Your a young lady

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    How far does his entitlement extend? Is he inciting racial hatred? I'd say he is. The law does not allow free speech to extend that far.
    Speach is fine, but making tapes and broadcasts are illegal. If he is doing it under the pretense of religion then he can get away with it. But he can't control who listens or who speaks in his mosque, so technicaly people could go in and heckle him. Or protest outside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I've seen that sort of thing on TV so it must be true.
    That's a really good point.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0...879505,00.html

While he has argued - with some vehemence - that it would be morally wrong for Islamic terrorists to attack Britain, his philosophy remains utterly antithetical to the supposed "British" way of life. He dislikes most of what we stand for, if we stand for anything.

And that, I think, is the true test of multiculturalism; tolerating somebody from an avowedly different culture, somebody who thinks differently to the rest of us and will not compromise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Ah yes, but you shouldnt air those thoughts. Your a young lady
    Young and a lady may be but it doesn't stop me thinking such despicable things involving a hook

ReputationRep:
    Young and a lady may be but it doesn't stop me thinking such despicable things involving a hook
    Of course, thats the key. You can think as much as you like...

ReputationRep:
    Of course, thats the key. You can think as much as you like...
    Exactly so I'm thinking nothing wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pal_sch)
    Speach is fine, but making tapes and broadcasts are illegal. If he is doing it under the pretense of religion then he can get away with it. But he can't control who listens or who speaks in his mosque, so technicaly people could go in and heckle him. Or protest outside.
    He speaks outside anyway. Isn't his the Finsbury Park mosque, the one that was closed over year ago?

Are you saying that so long as one's thoughts are not recorded the law say's it's OK to use inflamatory racist language to incite hatred in a public place?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly so I'm thinking nothing wrong
    Oh, you just dont get it do you

As a lovely and respectable youn lady which I'm very happy to be having an internet affair with because Helenia is now apparently also having an affair, you can think what you like on such topics ...but saying it is another matter! Such outbursts must strictly be kept so 'sexxy' pms.

ReputationRep:
    He speaks outside anyway. Isn't his the Finsbury Park mosque, the one that was closed over year ago?

Are you saying that so long as one's thoughts are not recorded the law say's it's OK to use inflamatory racist language to incite hatred in a public place?
    Thats perfectly common. Whats the difference between yelling to a large crowd and passing rumors quietly? The result is the same, and the latter goes on all the time. Even in a school there are strong feelings about certain groups of kids or anger at certain teachers. There are people who try to turn people against each other. This is simply the same thing on a national scale. If he wants to expose himself to hatred then good luck. He will end up in prison or in the river before the next election.

ReputationRep:
    He isn't an asylum seeker - he is a British citizen.

If you think he shouldn't be then try to get those laws changed, although it is obviously a bit late in the case of Hamza.

The idea of slinging any citizen out of this country because of their views is wrongheaded, if initially tempting in some cases. If he is guilty of inciting racial hatred then he should be prosecuted as anyone else would be, though of course you wouldn't be able to "throw him out of the country" for that. In fact, I doubt he is guilty of that, if anything he is more likely to be guilty of the similar offence relating to religious hatred that was introduced (I think).

But, yeah, I would hope it would be fairly obvious that a premise of liberal democracy would be that you can't kick a citizen out of the country because you disagree with them. Sadly, there is also something of a racial/religious element to the campaign to "kick him out". Abhorrent as his opinions are, they are pretty similar to the sort of thing the National Front or C18 come out with - but no one seems keen to "kick them out".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    He isn't an asylum seeker - he is a British citizen.

If you think he shouldn't be then try to get those laws changed, although it is obviously a bit late in the case of Hamza.

The idea of slinging any citizen out of this country because of their views is wrongheaded, if initially tempting in some cases. If he is guilty of inciting racial hatred then he should be prosecuted as anyone else would be, though of course you wouldn't be able to "throw him out of the country" for that. In fact, I doubt he is guilty of that, if anything he is more likely to be guilty of the similar offence relating to religious hatred that was introduced (I think).

But, yeah, I would hope it would be fairly obvious that a premise of liberal democracy would be that you can't kick a citizen out of the country because you disagree with them. Sadly, there is also something of a racial/religious element to the campaign to "kick him out". Abhorrent as his opinions are, they are pretty similar to the sort of thing the National Front or C18 come out with - but no one seems keen to "kick them out".

But isn't citizenship conditional for naturalized people? I thought it was. It certainly is in many countries.

If so then he can in fact be stripped of citizenship for breach of one or more of those conditions. Isn't that what the home office is initially trying to do wich is why it's taking so long to do it?

Isn't that also why he can be stripped of citizenship and kicked out whereas a British born citizen cannot?

ReputationRep:
    But isn't citizenship conditional for naturalized people? I thought it was. It certainly is in many countries.

If so then he can in fact be stripped of citizenship for breach of one or more of those conditions. Isn't that what the home office is initially trying to do wich is why it's taking so long to do it?

Isn't that also why he can be stripped of citizenship and kicked out whereas a British born citizen cannot?
    hmmm...can't say i really know the ins and outs of it.

are they actually trying to kick him out? i assumed it was just The Sun getting their knickers in a twist again. if so, what for?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, you just dont get it do you

As a lovely and respectable youn lady which I'm very happy to be having an internet affair with because Helenia is now apparently also having an affair, you can think what you like on such topics ...but saying it is another matter! Such outbursts must strictly be kept so 'sexxy' pms.
    Oh yes I get it... hmm right... :rolleyes:

I shall send you a 'cyber fun' pm later I'm glad Helenia has found herself someone else.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes I get it... hmm right... :rolleyes:

I shall send you a 'cyber fun' pm later I'm glad Helenia has found herself someone else.

They have already planned kids and everything!!!! *shrieks*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    hmmm...can't say i really know the ins and outs of it.

are they actually trying to kick him out? i assumed it was just The Sun getting their knickers in a twist again. if so, what for?
    Well, I think they are trying to get shot of the guy. It's been variouly reported that the legal aid bill has so far run to a million+

I think it's a two stage/three stage process.

a) prove crime (I assuming some terrorist related thing) to
    b) permit stripping of citizenship to
    c) allow deportation.

I no more know the in's and out's of the case than you do but it's clearly a lot bigger than the Sun's knicker related problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Apparently the case is going to take 7 years at a cost of £1m per year approx...
    Well, there you go..........

ReputationRep:
    Which makes masturbation tricky.
    good for fingering people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    good for fingering people
    Nice to be so blunt. :rolleyes:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 23, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.