Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my situation.

3 years ago I completed an access course at Edge Hill University (I am 28 with a family and had no qualification that would help me). The fast track only allowed me to go on to study a handful of subjects, I chose computing. After years of working in the industry I thought it would suit me. I was wrong, I couldn't bear the thought of 3 years being told what I already know (plus the fact I wanted a change as I am not really of fond of working in the industry) so I decided I wanted a change. I dropped out knowing fully well that I would lose a years funding but that I would still have 3 left to complete a course I would enjoy.

I then spoke to the university the following year and managed to get onto the Law LLB Program and loved it. When November came and I had only received my loan of around £1200 I couldn't afford to continue, bills to pay and I had to feed my little boy some how. So the lack of Student Finance at the point forced me to drop out.

The following year I couldn't get back on the course as there were no places so I worked for a year with the aim of trying again this year (Sept just gone). I got back on the course. I then found out that I had lost a year of finance and now I would have to self fund for a year! Panic mode!

I sent in my appeal and still haven't heard back, well too late as I have just been withdrawn from my course due to my owed fee's and the have invoiced me for £4500.

Does anybody have any information or help regarding what I should do. I would be highly appreciative! It just feel's now that my dream of bettering myself and my family have just been squashed by things out of my control.

Regards,
    Jay.

ReputationRep:
    the only thing i could suggest would be taking out a loan. it won't be as good (as in, you probably will have to pay it back immediately rather than waiting til you earn a certain amount) as the student loan that studentfinanceengland provides but if you really want to go to uni/pay the fees.. that seems the only option, unless you have a rich relative.

as a mature student you might be able to get grants and loans for the university itself.

ReputationRep:
    why is it student finance's fault?

ReputationRep:
    You must also talk to the university as well.they normally have bursaries and loans available to stop this kind of thing from happening.

ReputationRep:
    Thank's for your responses guys! I unfortunately don't have an oil tycoon uncle, wish I did ha!

The University helped me with rent and essentials but when my loan hit the £1500 mark they couldn't help me anymore.

I blame Student Finance due to me doing everything they asked, endless amounts of evidence even though I had supposedly provided everything and still my payments being delayed. When you have a house, family and kids to feed the capability of being able to wait disappears very quickly. I applied early enough, but then they say they want more stuff. So I have to get it and then send it in. I then join a queue with a bunch of people who have only just bothered to register and don't have kids and in a lot of cases live with their parents. I'm thinking maybe the system could benefit from some small adjustments.

Well it looks like I'm just going to have to like it or lump it! Open University here I come, they seem to be reasonable enough and have many options available for financial support.

Oh, my evidence that got sent in months ago got lost??? So if they could open and process it before binning it, maybe I would not have been withdrawn, so yeah def SF's fault!

Regards,
    Jay.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.