Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-tie-knot.html
    Disturbing stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha... Poor boy...

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me while I pick my jaw up from the floor. Nope it's not lifting, anyone got a jack?

ReputationRep:
    Sensationalism, it's just for show, there's no living together, future obligations or, heaven forbid, sex involved at all. That said the boy looks mighty pissed off in every picture

ReputationRep:
    People in rural South Africa take the Sangoma (Witchdoctor) and concept of ancestors very seriously. Some people are so scared of the witch doctor's minion, the Tokoloshi, that they sleep with the bed raised on bricks to keep it from snatching them while they sleep. My personal theory is that someone in the wedding business needed a bit of publicity and this was used for that purpose.

ReputationRep:
    It'll never work out. She'll be at home all day and he'll be at school. They'll become almost like strangers, and with all those girls in class he's bound to stray.

ReputationRep:
    3 words:
    What. The. Hell.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Turns out you really can't get out of a Double Dare Padlock!

ReputationRep:
    He looks over the moon

ReputationRep:
    I know it's their culture (listening to witchdoctors very seriously and that) but ewwwww I cant imagine what I would do if someone told me to do that at eight...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    People in rural South Africa take the Sangoma (Witchdoctor) and concept of ancestors very seriously. Some people are so scared of the witch doctor's minion, the Tokoloshi, that they sleep with the bed raised on bricks to keep it from snatching them while they sleep. My personal theory is that someone in the wedding business needed a bit of publicity and this was used for that purpose.
    How contemporary

I do not condone that culture one bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed-)
    How contemporary

I do not condone that culture one bit.
    Well I don't think your disapproval will do much. Growing up it was a bit weird as us whites didn't take it seriously where as most blacks did. Its mostly harmless superstition though, but some disturbing things are told by some witchdoctors such as having sex with a virgin will cure HIV/Aids which led to the raping of children and babies.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Not really though, it wasn't a legal marraige just a ceremony, the boy and woman aren't actually married or living together or in any sort of relationship. The boy will actually get married for real when he is older to someone his own age as he says himself. It was just a show marriage to please the boys ancestors because as people have said this is something they take quite seriously. It really isn't as disturbing as it's made out to be.

ReputationRep:
    This was also in the independent, but ya' know, the daily mail again..

ReputationRep:
    "The widow, who works at a recycling centre, added: 'I would say that this is not wrong". Er, excuse me woman, it is wrong!

ReputationRep:
    How the hell did they get 'marry a pensioner' from 'ooh eee, ooh ahah, ting tang, wallawalla bing bang'??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Well it is the Daily Mail so it could be a loada shite?

ReputationRep:
    I totally respect to their belief,culture and all but I simply cant understand this; Why an ancestor would want their 8 years old ancestor to marry to a 61 year old woman ?

I guess maybe the ancestors wanted to prevent descendants from that line.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm notice how they don't mention their religion here. If they were Muslim, all hell would break loose

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.