You will know for definite in a couple of weeks :tongue:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Original post by InconspicuousGuy
You will know for definite in a couple of weeks :tongue:

Then I'll be losing my sleep for couple weeks damn u
Reply 3
Did you see a flash?? There's usually a flash.
Reply 4
Original post by amholcroft
Did you see a flash?? There's usually a flash.

Is the flash from front or back?

I actually can't recall any flashes because I panicked and the car behind were closing in soo I don't really know
I'm sure you get some leeway, so it would depend on just how fast you was going when the camera starts to watch/record.

I'm always scared of this happening to me, so now I make sure I always have my sat nav up because it tells me the speed limits and bleeps when there's cameras and goes red if there's a camera and your over the limit. it's quite useful for me lol

Reply 6
Original post by Prolite

I actually can't recall any flashes because I panicked and the car behind were closing in soo I don't really know

The flash would have been from the back I've been in a car that sped through a camera you would know it.
Reply 7
Original post by NatashaLee
I'm sure you get some leeway, so it would depend on just how fast you was going when the camera starts to watch/record.

I'm always scared of this happening to me, so now I make sure I always have my sat nav up because it tells me the speed limits and bleeps when there's cameras and goes red if there's a camera and your over the limit. it's quite useful for me lol

I am same as you i got tomtom but today me being me trying to find my way without using tomtom messed up real bad today hopefully I didn't get flashed else am pissed

The flash would have been from the back I've been in a car that sped through a camera you would know it.

Hopefully didn't get flashed mate else I am pissed do you know if it flashes ones or twice Dere seem to get mixed reviews online also did you get flashed in morning or night? Is it also noticeable in daylight?
Reply 8
Original post by Prolite
I am same as you i got tomtom but today me being me trying to find my way without using tomtom messed up real bad today hopefully I didn't get flashed else am pissed

Hopefully didn't get flashed mate else I am pissed do you know if it flashes ones or twice Dere seem to get mixed reviews online also did you get flashed in morning or night? Is it also noticeable in daylight?

I saw it in the day.
Reply 9
I saw it in the day.

Alrite thanks a lot
Original post by Prolite

It flashes from the back on a Gatso speed camera, otherwise the flash might dazzle you and cause you to have a crash. This is the most popular camera in the UK.

If it's a Truvelo camera, it faces the driver and doesn't flash. The rubber strips in the road calculate your speed and the Truvelo Camera just captures your vehicle registration and face for prosecution later.

Have a look at this helpful website for more info/pics of what speed camera you might have encountered: http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/guide.htm#Traffic
Reply 11
You're allowed to do speed limit+ 10%+ 2mph so in your case that's 35. If you slammed your brakes on and went down to 20, you're probably going to be alright.
Reply 12
Original post by Hustler-1337
It flashes from the back on a Gatso speed camera, otherwise the flash might dazzle you and cause you to have a crash. This is the most popular camera in the UK.

If it's a Truvelo camera, it faces the driver and doesn't flash. The rubber strips in the road calculate your speed and the Truvelo Camera just captures your vehicle registration and face for prosecution later.

Have a look at this helpful website for more info/pics of what speed camera you might have encountered: http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/guide.htm#Traffic

Hey I looked in the website but what I am trying to find is that do the camera take pictures when your on the line or before or after you don't happen to know this do you?

X
---> lllllllllllll
........... l

I stopped like half way as above

---> my car
X camera
Original post by Selnec
You're allowed to do speed limit+ 10%+ 2mph so in your case that's 35. If you slammed your brakes on and went down to 20, you're probably going to be alright.

Is that for all camera or only 30mph
Original post by Prolite
Hey I looked in the website but what I am trying to find is that do the camera take pictures when your on the line or before or after you don't happen to know this do you?

X
---> lllllllllllll
........... l

---> my car
X camera

My understanding is it takes two photos and calculates your speed, it knows how far ypuve gone in between the two photos and the time between the two so as speed = distance/time it can work it out.
Original post by Prolite

X
---> lllllllllllll
........... l

---> my car
X camera

Apparently the 10% + 2mph is a guideline the police use. You CAN be fined for just 1mph over the limit but it would take a really lousy copper to bother doing it.
Reply 15
Yeah the 10%+ 2mph is a guideline, however cameras trigger at this speed (as far as I know- don't rely on it in future).

It applies to all speed limits.

The camera takes two pictures and then works it out the average speed over a short distance, as explained above
Reply 16
It might also be worth noting that not all cameras are active (have film in to capture photos if you're speeding) but there's no real way of knowing for a couple of weeks, especially if you're not sure if there was a flash.
Reply 17
Original post by Selnec
Yeah the 10%+ 2mph is a guideline, however cameras trigger at this speed (as far as I know- don't rely on it in future).

It applies to all speed limits.

The camera takes two pictures and then works it out the average speed over a short distance, as explained above

but which two points does it take pictures at? or is this random

Original post by Jlrxx
It might also be worth noting that not all cameras are active (have film in to capture photos if you're speeding) but there's no real way of knowing for a couple of weeks, especially if you're not sure if there was a flash.

hopefully you are correct 10 more days to wait :smile:
Original post by Selnec

Please provide proof when making a ridiculous statement like that...

You're not really ALLOWED to anything over 30 when the legal speed LIMIT is 30 but due to speedos not being completely accurate, and the possibility of people accidentally going over for a second or two while looking at the road and not at the speedo, there does appear to be some leniency, otherwise a lot of people would have speeding tickets for going at 31mph.

I know people who have been fined for doing between 32-35mph however
Reply 19
Original post by Prolite
I was driving my car to Uni today I thought the road speed was 40 so I was doing around 38 then suddenly as I went into camera lines I noticed its 30 mph so I slammed my brake and my speed came right down to 20 i then changed gear and slowly moved away...

So you guys think I should be okay?? Because I braked like half way to the lines

Thanks

Do not worry. It's just a warning
Don't lose sleep.

Latest

Trending

Trending