Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Did I get caught?? Help please Watch

ReputationRep:
    Generally speedometers on your car over reads by about 10%, I can confirm this with most cars by using a GPS. If it was indicating 38MPH on your speedo, its likely that you were probably going about 34-35MPH. If lucky, you should get away with it. Most speed cameras in 30 zones don't trigger till 36MPH or so, I heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
    Please provide proof when making a ridiculous statement like that...

You're not really ALLOWED to anything over 30 when the legal speed LIMIT is 30 but due to speedos not being completely accurate, and the possibility of people accidentally going over for a second or two while looking at the road and not at the speedo, there does appear to be some leniency, otherwise a lot of people would have speeding tickets for going at 31mph.

I know people who have been fined for doing between 32-35mph however
    It was an oversimplified statement.

The law says the maximum you can legally travel is the posted speed limit or the national speed limit where there is no posted speed limit.

However according to the Association of Chief Police Officers you will not be prosecuted if you're within the the 10%+2 mph bracket, much like how the law says you can't eat a mince pie on Christmas day- you won't be prosecuted if you do.

Its interesting to note the 85th percentile speed on a motorway is, near enough 80mph- if everyone who was outside the speed limit was prosecuted the police would be issuing many millions of tickets each day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selnec)
    It was an oversimplified statement.

The law says the maximum you can legally travel is the posted speed limit or the national speed limit where there is no posted speed limit.

However according to the Association of Chief Police Officers you will not be prosecuted if you're within the the 10%+2 mph bracket, much like how the law says you can't eat a mince pie on Christmas day- you won't be prosecuted if you do.

Its interesting to note the 85th percentile speed on a motorway is, near enough 80mph- if everyone who was outside the speed limit was prosecuted the police would be issuing many millions of tickets each day.
    I know people have had tickets for doing 32-34 though, is this just for traffic police with speed guns? I'm sure there is a leniency, but I'm guessing a speed camera is fully automated to clock anyone doing anything over 30?

Also, thumbs up on that mince pie law lol, never knew about that

Edit: guess I repped you already

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.