Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I will be 20 when i go to uni...will i feel out of place or will it not matter that i am older??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    I will be 20 when i go to uni...will i feel out of place or will it not matter that i am older??
    Me too. I'm a bit worried that I might be the only older one

ReputationRep:
    Wow, a 20 year-old first year. They will all point at you and go "Look at the old one - what a freak!!!" Really, 20... shouldn't you be planning your retirement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    Me too. I'm a bit worried that I might be the only older one
    how old are you?

ReputationRep:
    how old are you?
    20 so I'll be turning 21 in the 1st year. You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    20 so I'll be turning 21 in the 1st year. You?

same!!

yay!!!!

i figure i can have a big party with all my new uni friends!!

ReputationRep:
    I will be 23 when i start uni but my mum started when she was 48 so i wouldn't worry too much

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry about it seriously i'm friends with people of all ages from uni. 20 is young anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry too much, one of my best friends here is 25...and there are still people on my course who are older! I'm a first year and i'd say at least 1/3 of my course are over 20.

Saying that though, all the people I live with (excluding the foreign students) have come straight from school so we're all the same age. But it won't make a difference really...you've just got more life experience (and probably more stories to tell in those awkward silences in the first few days)!

ReputationRep:
    thanks, i feel better now

suz 19- where are you going to uni??
    am i right in thinking you are going to live at home??

ReputationRep:
    thanks, i feel better now

suz 19- where are you going to uni??
    am i right in thinking you are going to live at home??
    Yeah, looks like me and you are in exactly the same boat! If only we were doing the same course at the same uni- I wouldn't be so worried then!

Grrr..this server's a nightmare tonight, apologies if this gets posted more than once!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21.5 and in the second year, I am not by any means the oldest person on the course by far. Don't worry about, two years is not going to make any difference. However I do think some of the 18 year olds can be quite immature at times. It does seem young :mad:

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter....loads of people in the same year as you will be in the same kind of situation as you...people who've taken a gap year or repeated a year....or done both.

People won't look at you differently at all....especially once they get to know you....they'll treat you just like anyone else!!

G

ReputationRep:
    well one of my friend is 22 in her first year of uni and she's getting on fine, theres even a 21 year old in my college and she's got loads of mates, don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be 19, by just over a month.
    I was like the youngest in my year however so I'll probably be around the same age as everybody else in my classes. Not to mention there are going to be a lot of gap year people

ReputationRep:
    There are also those like me (in Scotland there are a lot of mature students) who are returning to education after bringing up a family or those who are interested in a career change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mumofamonster)
    There are also those like me (in Scotland there are a lot of mature students) who are returning to education after bringing up a family or those who are interested in a career change
    That must be so hard to do that. I mean my sister went and qualified after 3-4 years of work to be Primary School teacher whilst bringing up three kids and being a services wife (a lot of hard work). I'm so proud of her and now that the eldest two are at boarding school she can start work properly at the same school where her son is.
    I raise my hat to you!

ReputationRep:
    Its not the easiest of things to do but once you get back into the habit of studying (still can't quite remember what that is yet or how you are meant to find time for it) it starts to get easier.

Besides if you really want to do it (and you have my stubborn disposition) you will get there in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mumofamonster)
    Its not the easiest of things to do but once you get back into the habit of studying (still can't quite remember what that is yet or how you are meant to find time for it) it starts to get easier.

Besides if you really want to do it (and you have my stubborn disposition) you will get there in the end.
    Good for you!!! You are an inspiration to us all!!! I just wish i had your kind of determination at the moment!!! oh well....i'm sure it'll kick in once exams are looming!!

G

ReputationRep:
    I will be almost 20 when i go to uni...will i feel out of place or will it not matter that i am older??
    My mate will be 20 too. She missed a year due to illness and is currently 19 and doing her A-Levels and will be 20 about the first week into uni. you won't feel out of place - think of all the ppl on gap years!

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.