Age at Uni Watch

This discussion is closed.
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yep there seems to be quite a few 20 somthings around in the first year so you won't feel out of place. Sometimes i feel really immature because i'm a summer baby and still 18 whereas theres some of my friends having their 20th and 21st birthdays
covered farm wagon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
I will be 20 when i go to uni...will i feel out of place or will it not matter that i am older??
Me too! Also old! Turning 20 in two weeks and I'm absolutely terrified. I'm off to Warwick if anyone else is too?

Emma
xxx
alocin
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There are always lots of people who have taken gap years or years out. With societies and things you will be mixing with people from other years so you'll all balance out. It's only around birthdays that you realise how old some of your new friends are! All those candles will squash the cake...
rednirt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I'm 21.5 and in the second year, I am not by any means the oldest person on the course by far. Don't worry about, two years is not going to make any difference. However I do think some of the 18 year olds can be quite immature at times. It does seem young :mad:
18 year olds can be immature? I havn't heard anyone say they were 'X years and a half' since I was twelve lol
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Its really not a big being being older and going to uni - in fact I'm 19 and I'm in a minority out of my flat mates and course buddies - we have mostly 20 in out flat and one jut turned 21 (we're in the first year)

In lectures my friends are 19, 20, and 22 and we all get along fine. When you get to our sort of age i don't think being a year or two older makes any difference.
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm gonna be 17 when I start Uni....this is really young compared to others right?
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by vavavoom)
I'm gonna be 17 when I start Uni....this is really young compared to others right?
Yeh it is!
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well most people will be 18 or 19, so it's not that young
italianmark
Report 15 years ago
how come, are u really clever
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by italianmark)
how come, are u really clever
Nah, just started school early.
samd294
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It wont matter even the slightest bit, not at all I can assure you. 1st years are friends with 2nd 3rd and 4th years, age doesn't matter a bit at uni. There will be old gap yearers anyway who will be 20 in September of the 1st year anyway. Uni isn't like school/coolege, you wont be able to tell the difference between a first and third year anyway, everyone is pretty much on an even playing field, so dont worry at all!
Jshewan2187
Report 15 years ago
Im going to be 17 when i go to uni, my birthday is on sunday, but I don't think it'll make that much of a difference will it?? I live in Scotland so have decided to leave at the end of my 5th year and not do a 6th year providing I get my highers. Is it possible to go to uni at 17 in england?
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jshewan2187)
Im going to be 17 when i go to uni, my birthday is on sunday, but I don't think it'll make that much of a difference will it?? I live in Scotland so have decided to leave at the end of my 5th year and not do a 6th year providing I get my highers. Is it possible to go to uni at 17 in england?
I think so...but only if you've been moved forward a year in school. I don't think you can skip like your last year and go straight to uni

G
Jshewan2187
Report 15 years ago
oh well there might be some people the same age as me never really thought about the age difference being a problem!!
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I doubt it will be a problem, I work with a 22year old and we're the best of friends despite a four year age gap..........he's lovely
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jshewan2187)
oh well there might be some people the same age as me never really thought about the age difference being a problem!!
Id hate to be 17 at uni. you would still probably get served in pubs but i think 17 seems too young. you change alot between 17 and 18
Jshewan2187
Report 15 years ago
Yeah but its not that uncommon up here for people to start uni at 17. I already get served in pubs so thats not a problem also I have known what I want to do for years now so I just want to start learning and architecture is a fairly long course! By the time I finish uni my friends who are going to start the year after me will still be finished before me!!
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I will be 21 (almost 22) when I start my course in September. Age matters very little, but most people just out of college probably don't realise this until they get to uni. Through having worked for the past two years I have friends ranging from 16 to 45.

In short - don't worry about it.
Perry
Report 15 years ago
Hello, On the other hand, I think I was a year ahead, in school, and then college. I turned 18 just before i went to uni, im in my first year. I get on well with the elders, ie 21 + more then pple of my age. I am sharing a block with finalists, who are all 22+. And just to add the cherry on my milk, I will be 20 years old when I graduate.

I have had many exams continuous and non-stop, GCSE, As, A-levels, and I feel I am a bit rusty in first year. I am considering a year out.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I dont think it age really matters, I notice maturity issues in some of the people here -talking in lectures etc. which annoys me they could at least have the decency to write notes so they dont disturb other people, but I think someone of 18 can easily be more mature than people of 21+ its all in the mind.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (208)
12.78%
Excited (144)
8.85%
Worried (295)
18.12%
Terrified (367)
22.54%
Meh (149)
9.15%
Confused (35)
2.15%