Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Girls: Do you like being given flowers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    flowers are so cute- especially if you know her favourite colour or flower

personally I would prefer chocolates or a surprise home made meal as I wouldn't know what to do with flowers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But of course!

ReputationRep:
    id love it

ReputationRep:
    "I'd like some flowers" =/ "I will want to have sex with the person who gave me the flowers"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    "I'd like some flowers" =/ "I will want to have sex with the person who gave me the flowers"
    Yeah, I would give flowers to a girlfriend, not a girl I want to be my girlfriend. If you want a girl to go out with you, you'd be better off hinting that you would get her flowers if she went out with you, than actually giving her flowers.

To the girls saying flowers die- true, but they usually last longer than chocolates, and they don't make your arse bigger.

ReputationRep:
    There have been more responses than I thought there would be! Overall I get the feeling that the majority (not all) appreciate receiving flowers. The next question is do I give her a bouquet or an orchid? And remember this is just a spur of the moment thing, there is no reason for this (Not sure if that would influence the decision) I'm probably going to bring some chocolate and strawberries so we can cook some deserts too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TreeOfKnowledge)
    There have been more responses than I thought there would be! Overall I get the feeling that the majority (not all) appreciate receiving flowers. The next question is do I give her a bouquet or an orchid? And remember this is just a spur of the moment thing, there is no reason for this (Not sure if that would influence the decision) I'm probably going to bring some chocolate and strawberries so we can cook some deserts too
    Are orchids her favourite type of flower? If so then yeah, she'll probably appreciate you remembering her favourite. If not, a risk as she might not like them and with a bouquet you can get several different flowers in there.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't want them as a gift, as I like things I can keep and cherish. As a random gesture it would be really sweet though.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't see why so many girls like them. I can understand why they might appreciate the gesture, but the flowers themselves? They just sit somewhere, looking pretty, and then they die. The appreciation of them just goes over my head really.

Like I said though, that's just my personal preference and I know loads of girls do like them. It's just that in my case, I'd prefer something like chocolate.

ReputationRep:
    As a general rule, only give flowers to your girlfriend or a girl you're already dating not a girl you hardly even know that you're trying to attract. Flowers do NOT attract women. Real life isn't like those Hollywood movies.

ReputationRep:
    I love flowers but my boyfriend has never got me any in 4 YEARS :cry2:

Not everyone likes them but even if so, I can't think anyone would be disgusted or offended to receive them, surely?

EDIT: Stick with bouquet. She'll have to look after an orchid and she may not want to. Perhaps if you get to know her better and find out she's a plant person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigling)
    I love flowers but my boyfriend has never got me any in 4 YEARS :cry2:

Not everyone likes them but even if so, I can't think anyone would be disgusted or offended to receive them, surely?

EDIT: Stick with bouquet. She'll have to look after an orchid and she may not want to. Perhaps if you get to know her better and find out she's a plant person.
    Maybe you should get a friend to mention it to your boyfriend like :poke: "get her some flowers, you fool"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelephant)
    So.... most girls don't count as normal?

OP, if it were for a Birthday present or something it'd be a bit of a cop-out present, but still quite a nice gesture. As a totally random gift though, I'd be delighted =P I suppose because it shows you've been thinking about her and wanted to do something to make her happy
    There are alternatives to just flowers to make a girl happy....

:bl:

ReputationRep:
    Awww you are such a cute boyfriend and so sweet ^-^

Make sure she doesn't drain the wallet T_T

Usually as a young girl, not speaking from experience, but I can imagine them wanting to tell their friends about it, something that gives off the vibe as young would be an orchid, it's bright pink colored and symbolizes the relationship (assuming you are fairly recent bf/gf)

I would say bouquets are for when you are together for a long time, there's a lot of variation in it which might symbolize your more developed relationship.

Cheesus Christ. And they say that girls over think things

ReputationRep:
    Also, it's good that flowers die. Otherwise they'd just be like all the other ornamental gifts which junk up your house and you don't really want past their novelty value.

I've only received flowers once, from my mum :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    course flowers are lovely..who wouldn't want them

well i suppose if your allergic and possibly if you don't have anywhere to put them

chocolates are lovely too

unless your allergic :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desdemonata)
    Maybe you should get a friend to mention it to your boyfriend like :poke: "get her some flowers, you fool"
    That would spoil it because he'd know it was me :p:

HE MUST THINK OF THE FLOWERS HIMSELF :stomp:

(With just a little hinting )

ReputationRep:
    Here's a hint- whatever you give her, say there's a specific reason. Like do you know her favourite colour? Or you could say they match her eyes. Just say something that makes it sound more meaningful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigling)
    That would spoil it because he'd know it was me :p:

HE MUST THINK OF THE FLOWERS HIMSELF :stomp:

(With just a little hinting )
    I would normally agree, but if he hasn't gotten the idea in 4 years, I reckon a more direct order :giggle: from a friend would help. And they could remind him to get them every once in a while from then on

ReputationRep:
    Personally no, I do not like to be given flowers.

I had an ex who regularly used to get me flowers. It was really sweet of him do to so but ultimatley I wish that he had saved his money.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.