Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Cyber Bullying anyone? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm writing an article on bullying and cyber bullying and i am just wondering if it would be possible if anyone out there could tell me some of there own experiences on the subject.

I know that it is a hard subject to talk about for victims of bullying however i would say that by helping me to write an article on it, this will increase the awareness of bullying and help stop it in the future and also help victims of bullying come forward.

Any replies would be great.

Thanks everyone

I don't really understand the term cyber-bullying, to be honest. To me, it only applies if the people don't know each other in "real life"... and if that is the case... stop logging in to be "bullied"?? Seems like madness if you ask me.

I'm aware that, these days, a lot of kids are bullied online / on facebook by people from their school or who they know from elsewhere... but I'd just call that straight up bullying, not cyberbullying. Anyway, with regards to Facebook bullying, I think part of the problem currently is that the current generation of parents / teachers (of teenagers) aren't particularly "tech savvy"... they don't understand it really, they didn't grow up with the internet, and they just aren't particularly aware of it and the things that their teenagers are subjected to (or saying / doing themselves) on social networking sites. There's also very little education concerning the "online life" that teenagers are more and more involved in these days. Even 10 years ago, the Internet was a sort of "niche hobby" and seen as a bit geeky... now, everyone is online, and online interactions are mainly with real-life aquaintances.

I suspect it'll be slightly different in another 10-20 years, when the parents of teenagers are "our generation", who grew up around this sort of technology.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks your imput is greatly appreciated
    Do you think schools, to a degree, would be providing a greater service if they monitored students facebooks etc, although schools may not be able to do anything about it outside of school times they would however be more aware of the bullying?
    Only a very small percentage of children who are victims of bullying tell teachers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamhere112)
    I'm writing an article on bullying and cyber bullying and i am just wondering if it would be possible if anyone out there could tell me some of there own experiences on the subject.

I know that it is a hard subject to talk about for victims of bullying however i would say that by helping me to write an article on it, this will increase the awareness of bullying and help stop it in the future and also help victims of bullying come forward.

Any replies would be great.

Thanks everyone
    Cyber bullying is for the weak!
    A real bully would do it in person!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bahjat93)
    Cyber bullying is for the weak!
    A real bully would do it in person!
    Hmmm not sure i would be able to quote you in the article.
    Haha thanks though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    I don't really understand the term cyber-bullying, to be honest. To me, it only applies if the people don't know each other in "real life"... and if that is the case... stop logging in to be "bullied"?? Seems like madness if you ask me.

I'm aware that, these days, a lot of kids are bullied online / on facebook by people from their school or who they know from elsewhere... but I'd just call that straight up bullying, not cyberbullying. Anyway, with regards to Facebook bullying, I think part of the problem currently is that the current generation of parents / teachers (of teenagers) aren't particularly "tech savvy"... they don't understand it really, they didn't grow up with the internet, and they just aren't particularly aware of it and the things that their teenagers are subjected to (or saying / doing themselves) on social networking sites. There's also very little education concerning the "online life" that teenagers are more and more involved in these days. Even 10 years ago, the Internet was a sort of "niche hobby" and seen as a bit geeky... now, everyone is online, and online interactions are mainly with real-life aquaintances.

I suspect it'll be slightly different in another 10-20 years, when the parents of teenagers are "our generation", who grew up around this sort of technology.
    Must be joking if you think any of this stuff we use will be recogniseable 20 years from now!

Nanobots man, nanobots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamhere112)
    Hmmm not sure i would be able to quote you in the article.
    Haha thanks though!
    Who are your writhing for mate??
    You should make it a ground breaking article by saying how bullying builds charector .
    Or you could say that bullies hide behind the shroud of the internet

(Original post by M1011)
    Must be joking if you think any of this stuff we use will be recogniseable 20 years from now!

Nanobots man, nanobots.
    I used to think that - but then, I was on a forum that was (basically) the same, technology wise, as this one... in 1999! 14 years ago :eek:. Seems like this stuff doesn't move on as fast as you'd expect!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    I used to think that - but then, I was on a forum that was (basically) the same, technology wise, as this one... in 1999! 14 years ago :eek:. Seems like this stuff doesn't move on as fast as you'd expect!
    Yea but I bet in 1999 you didn't use to browse a forum like this on your phone, or portable tablet, or through the medium of dance. Confused about that last one? Nanobots man, nanobots.

(Original post by bahjat93)
    Who are your writhing for mate??
    You should make it a ground breaking article by saying how bullying builds charector .
    Or you could say that bullies hide behind the shroud of the internet
    Learn to spell you fool. That's right, cyber bully elite right here. The spelling Gestapo are lurking everywhere out in cyber space!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)

Learn to spell you fool. That's right, cyber bully elite right here. The spelling Gestapo are lurking everywhere out in cyber space!
    A real bully would bully me in person! You sure are a disgrace to all bullies everywhere!!
    Also mate i wrote that message from my phoneand on the bus :/. Also my predictive dictionary isn't very good either, if i want to write "Yes" my phone puts "Utah" instead o_O

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.