The Student Room Group

Dress code for City law

(Just realised I put this in the vac scheme sub-forum by accident, forgive me for re-posting it!)

I know it seems like a silly question, but I wanted to get a couple of views about what colours/styles are suitable in terms of guys. Is a black suit for guys a no-no? Haven't seen many around in the City. Are there any suitable shirt colours outside white, light blue, light pink and light lilac? Also interested to see what people think about waistcoats and brown shoes. Any general advice for people is welcomed too, hopefully lots of people can make use of this thread!
Reply 1
Original post by flavius11
Black suits are perfectly normal, and indeed overwhelmingly common from every experience I've ever had! You don't tend to see wild shirt colours, nor would you expect to in a professional environment. Waistcoats may be ok for a certain kind of firm (posh, with more traditional clients) but are likely to make you look a bit odd at a more modern firm. Brown shoes seem a bit of an odd choice; black would be much safer and generic looking.

Apart from the shoes, this is all terrible advice.

Black suits are reserved for those in mourning and waiters; are you either? No? Then don't dress like one.

Waistcoats are an absurd affectation for anyone under 45. You'll be old soon enough: why mar your youth by dressing like it?
Reply 2
Original post by Diplock
(Just realised I put this in the vac scheme sub-forum by accident, forgive me for re-posting it!)

I know it seems like a silly question, but I wanted to get a couple of views about what colours/styles are suitable in terms of guys. Is a black suit for guys a no-no? Haven't seen many around in the City. Are there any suitable shirt colours outside white, light blue, light pink and light lilac? Also interested to see what people think about waistcoats and brown shoes. Any general advice for people is welcomed too, hopefully lots of people can make use of this thread!

Wear a grey or blue two piece suit. Subtle chalk stripe is ok. Brevity is right on black suits.

Don't entirely agree with Brevity on three piece suits. Three piece suits: if you have to ask, don't. You'd know if you could do it. (A friend can pull one off, most people our age can't.) I wouldn't wear an odd waistcoat at all.

Re shirts, the colours you said or subtle stripe variants. I wouldn't wear a solid lilac shirt, though a lilac stripe is ok. You can be a little more adventurous with ties within reason.

No brown shoes. And for God's sake shine them properly.

Keep it conservative as a vac schemer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by flavius11
What the hell are you on about? Ignore this muppet; black suits are perfectly fine and far less risky than grey of navy.

Two situations where a black suit is acceptable:

- Somebody has died
- Your job is protecting the President

If neither of the above apply, then you should be wearing navy/grey instead.
Reply 4
I would go with jjarvis, prefer grey/navy suits to black, seems very reserved and old for work enviroment.
Original post by Sync
Two situations where a black suit is acceptable:

- Somebody has died
- Your job is protecting the President

If neither of the above apply, then you should be wearing navy/grey instead.

:rofl: nice one

A black suit would not be a complete disaster but it is not advisable - black suits are normally associated with funerals. Wear dark blue or grey instead. I would also avoid very light grey and super-skinny trousers from Topman.

A lot of people are wearing smart checkered shirts these days, but if in doubt stick to white or light blue. I like waistcoasts but they are quirky and unusual, vac schemers should steer clear.

Brown shoes with a smart suit are a crime against fashion. Avoid.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jacketpotato

Original post by jjarvis

Original post by Brevity

Great advice so far guys! One last thing: skinny ties? I get the feeling that they might be a big no-no, but just to get confirmation...
It is very obvious when a vac scheme has started because you start seeing wannabe-Topman models rocking super skinny light grey suit trousers, skinny ties and shaggy haircuts. There will be other vac schemers wearing that stuff but personally I would avoid.
Reply 8
Original post by jacketpotato
It is very obvious when a vac scheme has started because you start seeing wannabe-Topman models rocking super skinny light grey suit trousers, skinny ties and shaggy haircuts. There will be other vac schemers wearing that stuff but personally I would avoid.

Message received, thank you! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Diplock
Great advice so far guys! One last thing: skinny ties? I get the feeling that they might be a big no-no, but just to get confirmation...

I'm going to go against the grain on this one and say they're OK. My reasoning is that for slim men, normal cut suits and ties (given prevailing trends) tend to overwhelm the body. As such, sensibly thinner lapels and ties can be much more flattering.

Jacketpotato is right that Topman is an egregious example that has pushed this too far, but a lot of standard and respectable suit-makers make slimmer versions of suits / shirts / ties. It's definitely possible to wear without being lumped with the Topman crowd.
Reply 10
Original post by Brevity
I'm going to go against the grain on this one and say they're OK. My reasoning is that for slim men, normal cut suits and ties (given prevailing trends) tend to overwhelm the body. As such, sensibly thinner lapels and ties can be much more flattering.

Jacketpotato is right that Topman is an egregious example that has pushed this too far, but a lot of standard and respectable suit-makers make slimmer versions of suits / shirts / ties. It's definitely possible to wear without being lumped with the Topman crowd.

Excellent advice mate, cheers!
Reply 11
Great thread!

I was also thinking of starting one re the dress code for the ladies, but I thought it'd be more convenient to post here.

I was wondering about what are women expected to wear. Of course, I understand that the colour palette is the same for both genders; black, grey, navy and no bright colours. However, are women expected to wear skirts or dresses and heels? I am one of those women who are extremely uncomfortable in skirts and unable to gracefully walk on heels for more than a couple of minutes, so I was thinking a suit, a nice shirt and brogues would be the best option for me. Any opinions on that?

Also what's the rule on hairstyles? I know jewellery should be kept to a minimum and if you wear any it should always be tasteful.

Re accessories like bags, shoes, scarfs. Are patent black brogues a good idea or should I opt for black leather ones? Should the bag also be black or is grey or maroon red appropriate too? Is the regular beige trenchcoat ok, or should I be wearing a black one??

A big thank you to anyone who bothers to reply and help me out!
(edited 10 years ago)
Why so many negs on this thread?!

Always shine your (black) shoes. I tend to think it demonstrates attention to detail - admirable quality in a lawyer.

Always err on the side of caution. As a chap, you do not want your clothes to draw attention to you. Similar to being in the army I suppose
Original post by Luckypupil
As a chap, you do not want your clothes to draw attention to you. Similar to being in the army I suppose

Mmm

Reply 14
Original post by angelin

I have a vac scheme and a mini-pupillage commencing this summer and I was wondering about what are women expected to wear. Of course, I understand that the colour palette is the same for both genders; black, grey, navy and no bright colours. However, are women expected to wear skirts or dresses and heels? I am one of those women who are extremely uncomfortable in skirts and unable to gracefully walk on heels for more than a couple of minutes, so I was thinking a suit, a nice shirt and brogues would be the best option for me. Any opinions on that?

I'm not sure I completely agree with the 'no bright colours' rule. I mean, obviously you don't want over-the-top ridiculous flowery neon colours, but a smart outfit combined with a bright splash of colour here and there can work really well.

If you're not comfortable in heels/dresses, then don't feel obliged to wear them. Nothing worse than being uncomfortable when you're trying to make a good impression. Whilst a bloke is expected to wear a suit in a law firm, girls have a comparative degree of freedom. I think the unspoken rule is pretty much "If it's smart and doesn't look slutty, then it's fine."

Original post by angelin

Also what's the rule on hairstyles? I know jewellery should be kept to a minimum and if you wear any it should always be tasteful.

Assuming you don't have a bright pink mohawk, I can't see hairstyle being an issue. Again - whatever you're comfortable with. It's best to keep jewellery relatively subtle (no gigantic dangly earrings, etc)

Original post by angelin

Re accessories like bags, shoes, scarfs. Are patent black brogues a good idea or should I opt for black leather ones? Should the bag also be black or is grey or maroon red appropriate too? Is the regular beige trenchcoat ok, or should I be wearing a black one??

Now you're definitely over-thinking things!

Shoes - anything that looks smart and isn't completely ridiculous.

Bag - absolutely anything. 95% of women (and 100% of men) wouldn't be able to tell you the colour of your bag after you've been working there two weeks. The 5% of women who actually remember your bag will only have done so because they thought "Oooo, that's a pretty bag...I wonder where she got it?".

Coat - as above. Provided it doesn't look like this, you're safe.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending