Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Sheffield Heavy Metal scene Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is there one?
    I'm an international student and the last time I visited UK I was 13, so I wouldn't really know.
    I'm not talking about festivals or major concerts though, just about its underground music scene. Because, where I live (Karachi, its a city in Pakistan), we have lots of gigs and local bands playing here and there, and I really don't want to give all that up.
    Of course, I wouldn't want to miss out on a proper concert especially LOG's or Black Dahlia's or even Killswitch's (i'm actually saving money incase I have to FLY to one) but I've always found something strangely 'mystifying' about underground gigs. I'm not really a nightclub person, so my university choice might largely depend on the number of metalheads rather than reputation It seems that some areas have a more dominant music scene than others though, atleast in my country.
    But most people seem to only talk about Sheffield's nightclubs and such, so I'm just wondering...

ReputationRep:
    Leeds has a great scene like that. I'll be attending this year, and the metal scene was quite the deciding factor for me.

I can't comment for sheffield, but there is one great metal/rock bar, Corporation there.

Although you mentioned underground gigs,i can't comment for those either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnwardstoVictory)
    Leeds has a great scene like that. I'll be attending this year, and the metal scene was quite the deciding factor for me.

I can't comment for sheffield, but there is one great metal/rock bar, Corporation there.

Although you mentioned underground gigs,i can't comment for those either.
    I was going to apply to Leeds too! But I'm doing psychology and I didn't meet their O level maths requirement so had to forget about it. But, congratulations!
    I've got offers from Reading and Southhampton too, and still waiting for Holloway, but Sheffield just seems more...I don't know, 'vibrant' I guess.
    I'll sound dumb, but we don't have bars here let alone a metal or rock bar, so I have to ask, what are they like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DitzyWanderer)
    I was going to apply to Leeds too! But I'm doing psychology and I didn't meet their O level maths requirement so had to forget about it. But, congratulations!
    I've got offers from Reading and Southhampton too, and still waiting for Holloway, but Sheffield just seems more...I don't know, 'vibrant' I guess.
    I'll sound dumb, but we don't have bars here let alone a metal or rock bar, so I have to ask, what are they like?
    Yeah Sheffield is quite vibrant, i have a friend who's at Uni there. And thankyou!
    Well, i have never been to Corporation as i'm only 17, but there is a rock bar where i live in Barnsley called Quassimodo's. I'm often in there on nights out. The people are really friendly, and great to get along with, the drinks are cheap and the music choice is definitely something to be reckoned with
    I'm very interested in what Karachi is like, it seems an interesting place.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Sheffield is quite vibrant, i have a friend who's at Uni there. And thankyou!
    Well, i have never been to Corporation as i'm only 17, but there is a rock bar where i live in Barnsley called Quassimodo's. I'm often in there on nights out. The people are really friendly, and great to get along with, the drinks are cheap and the music choice is definitely something to be reckoned with
    I'm very interested in what Karachi is like, it seems an interesting place.
    Sounds fun to me! I've al felt more at home at gigs and stuff compared to dance parties, less douchebags, better taste in music and more brains. I have something to look forward to now
    Karachi's interesting, but its like a place you have to discover rather than visit. I've lived here all my life, but even I didn't know much till I was like 14 and met the right kind of people.
    But our music scene is GOOD.
    Metal and even rock isn't very popular generally so we have something of a close-knit community now, and that makes it all the more interesting since everyone knows each other one way or the other.
    Pakistan isn't really known for its strict laws, so the gigs here are risky or fun, depending on how 'brave' you are. :P
    And then there's the experimental part of it, since we have bands doing 'Pakistani metal' now; thats basically like screamo vocals in 'urdu'. Oh and then there's the bit about being able to openly smoke up, if you're into that stuff. Sometimes you'll get caught. And the policemen will share weed with you, or steal yours and tell you to run off and 'not do it again'. :P
    But seriously, as a city its really diverse. We have ghettos, and we have the 'elite'. Where I live, you'll find all the 'posh' chicks, the tea parties, fashion shows etc and its just a slightly shabby version of 90210. But there are high risk areas 'ruled' my drug lords, politicians and terrorists. If I had to describe it, I'd say its like GTA San Andreas come to life.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fun to me! I've al felt more at home at gigs and stuff compared to dance parties, less douchebags, better taste in music and more brains. I have something to look forward to now
    Karachi's interesting, but its like a place you have to discover rather than visit. I've lived here all my life, but even I didn't know much till I was like 14 and met the right kind of people.
    But our music scene is GOOD.
    Metal and even rock isn't very popular generally so we have something of a close-knit community now, and that makes it all the more interesting since everyone knows each other one way or the other.
    Pakistan isn't really known for its strict laws, so the gigs here are risky or fun, depending on how 'brave' you are. :P
    And then there's the experimental part of it, since we have bands doing 'Pakistani metal' now; thats basically like screamo vocals in 'urdu'. Oh and then there's the bit about being able to openly smoke up, if you're into that stuff. Sometimes you'll get caught. And the policemen will share weed with you, or steal yours and tell you to run off and 'not do it again'. :P
    But seriously, as a city its really diverse. We have ghettos, and we have the 'elite'. Where I live, you'll find all the 'posh' chicks, the tea parties, fashion shows etc and its just a slightly shabby version of 90210. But there are high risk areas 'ruled' my drug lords, politicians and terrorists. If I had to describe it, I'd say its like GTA San Andreas come to life.
    That sounds... ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE. And screamo vocals in Urdu? That's pretty awesome. The same is true for Quassimodo's, everybody knows each other and it's always a good atmosphere. When will you be coming to England? By then i'll be 18 and if you're comfortable i'd be happy to show you the nightlife

ReputationRep:
    That sounds... ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE. And screamo vocals in Urdu? That's pretty awesome. The same is true for Quassimodo's, everybody knows each other and it's always a good atmosphere. When will you be coming to England? By then i'll be 18 and if you're comfortable i'd be happy to show you the nightlife
    Late September I guess? I'll come a few weeks before the term starts. And yes, I'd LOVE that!

ReputationRep:
    Late September I guess? I'll come a few weeks before the term starts. And yes, I'd LOVE that!
    Thats awesome, I'd be honoured
    if you arrive end of August then there'd be no problems my family allowing you to stay while we go and party :P

If you could either friends request my profile or message me that'd be great

ReputationRep:
    Thats awesome, I'd be honoured
    if you arrive end of August then there'd be no problems my family allowing you to stay while we go and party :P

If you could either friends request my profile or message me that'd be great
    I got your friend request, just accepted it.
    I'll just message you

ReputationRep:
    I got your friend request, just accepted it.
    I'll just message you
    Hehe great

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Corps pretty much going to be your mainstay in Sheffield due to it being the main place for metal and rock plus the cheap drinks/entry being a bonus (quadvods will get you ) but are you applying for Hallam for Uni of? I'm at Hallam and the Rock Societies pretty good, doing a fortnightly gathering at a pub called the Dove and Rainbow near Fargate and most people there are all into metal so no worries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Skies)
    Yeah Corps pretty much going to be your mainstay in Sheffield due to it being the main place for metal and rock plus the cheap drinks/entry being a bonus (quadvods will get you ) but are you applying for Hallam for Uni of? I'm at Hallam and the Rock Societies pretty good, doing a fortnightly gathering at a pub called the Dove and Rainbow near Fargate and most people there are all into metal so no worries.
    I've applied for uni of sheffield, should have applied to Hallam instead But I guess they'll have a society or two too (hopefully). I guess I'll just have to do a LOT of exploring during fresher's week, or I might end up being dragged around in nightclubs for the rest of my time there!

ReputationRep:
    There's plenty of local bands and places like the Corp that do 'underground' metal/rock gigs, and plenty of other smaller venues and pubs.

For big bands like LoG and BDM if they don't play Sheffield they'll almost definitely be at Leeds, Birmingham, Liverpool or somewhere else within about an hours train journey.

If you like rock and (extreme) metal though, nowhere in the world compares with London. Be jelly.

ReputationRep:
    For its size, Sheffield gets a lot of fairly well known bands playing and there's a few good quality local(-ish) bands. Manchester, Birmingham and London get the really big names on international tours, though.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.