Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a year 12 student and am very interested in coming to study dentistry at your university in 2014.

I have 3A*s 5As and a B at GCSE and study chemistry, biology, maths and geography at AS level. I was wondering if my lack of A*s and my B at GCSE will be seen as a problem when applying for your dentistry course due to its high competitiveness.

I am also working on my Extended Project Qualification and am considering a question involving cleft palate/lip. Would you advise me to continue this or to choose something more closely related to general dentistry?

Finally, I am aware that interviews are compulsory should my application be successful. Do you recommend anyways in which I can prepare for these?

Thank you for your time,
    Karina Winderam
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi kawi3112!

Thanks so much for your questions.

With regards to GCSEs - the only requirements are that you have a Grade B in both GCSE English and Mathematics. So don't worry, you have fantastic grades! You can find out more about our entry requirements online on our website.

After speaking with the admissions department for you, considering a question involving cleft palate/lip is a very good idea. What matters the most is writing about something you will really enjoy and do your best at.

Preparation for interviews - interviews will follow the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) system. Interviewees circulate from one timed station to another. At each station candidates meet one or two interviewers who ask structured questions and mark the responses to the questions independently. The MMI interviews will take place between December and March and applicants should ensure they are free to attend an interview at this time as alternative dates cannot always be offered. The aim of the interview is to assess your personal qualities and to find out whether you have the potential to become a successful member of the dental profession. In this context, strong interpersonal and communication skills are most important, particularly when you consider the relationships, which dentists need to build with their patients. If you are made an offer for dentistry you will be invited to attend one of our post-offer open days.

So just practice feeling confident talking to people about Dentistry and really think why you want to study Dentistry as a subject. You will be great

For advice in what King's looks for in personal statements - please see our website.

Hope this helps - if you have any more questions, just send us another message.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, that has been a great help and reassured my plans for my EPQ.

One final question-I have done lots of work experience in private dental practices and some with an oral surgeon, however, I have completed none of this in a hospital environment. Would doing some strengthen my application?

Thank you in-advance,
    Karina Winderam
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Karina,
    It could help but I don't think it's mandatory. If you refer to the personal statement advice on the online prospectus you'll see what they are looking for: "We are looking particularly for evidence of appropriate commitment to, and realistic appreciation of, the academic, physical and emotional demands of a dental degree programme and career. We would normally expect that you will have undertaken some work experience in a caring environment and/or observation in a dental clinical setting.If this is not possible, we look for evidence that you have worked in a setting where you can interact with the general public, eg in a pharmacy or restaurant. Communication skills and the ability to work successfully in a team are of great importance."

I hope this helps. Good luck

Thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.