Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

the Africa you dont see on tv. Watch

ReputationRep:
    i started a thread the other time here just to get an idea of how people think when they hear the name Africa. and i was surprised at the comments. so i decided to open another thread to show you another part of Africa you dont hear of that much.

what you hear about Africa and the middle east on western media is what someone called a "single story". the problem with single stories, she said, is not that they are not true, but that they are incomplete! so that you dont get the true picture of what a people are. what you did not say, she said, is as important the one you said.

here is a video for you. pls ignore all the nasty comments on that site. this video was made before 2007. the city is a lot better than that today. after watching it, tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot1JtsOtDqA

ReputationRep:
    Yes, this is true.

What many (including myself - a chap of African lineage) see as "Africa" is a media-tinted view - i.e. small little black children wandering aimlessly around waiting for the dashing European to come and scoop them up in his arms and feed them; war; famine; war; war; barbarism; disease; war; war; disease. You get the picture.

However, what is known as "the West" (particularly the United States and Britain) like to portray a world where "the West" is the bastion of advancement and civilisation and the rest of the world is a barbaric hellhole. Funnily enough, even in parts of the Middle East flowing with black gold, some of those countries are building skyscraper after skyscraper by the minute.

In any case, yes, indeed, there is much negativity surrounding Africa as a whole (particularly, Sub-Saharan Africa). However, take comfort - history shows that different societies fall and rise. Ergo, with the direction many countries in Africa are going now, we can be confident that the continent will be much, much more influential, powerful and wealthy in the coming decades. However, this is not to forget some of the large barren wildernesses within the continent and how such long distances affect the development of advanced societies.

Finally, we also mustn't forget the issue of resources. The continent as a whole holds the large majority of Earth's resources (some 70% or more). This is both good and bad, especially in light of the coming decades. In other words, you only need to look at China's increasing entrenchment on the continent. And rest assured, once many countries such as the United States see the oil of the Middle East dwindle (and after they're done with Iran of course which has lots of black gold itself), countries will increasingly focus on the continent once again - that is, further plunder it, unless African countries get their act together and build strong societies to safeguard against hegemonic external forces. Emphasis must be placed upon intra-continental trade and cooperation, not simply inter-continental trade.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the not writing off an entire continent - there are plenty of success stories in Africa, but...

Nigeria is pretty much the most corrupt country in the world. Most of that wealth comes from overpaid officials who are skimming off exorbitant amounts of the oil revenue. Sure life's good for middle class residents in Lagos, but the average Nigerian has actually seen their income go down following the development of the oil industry from the 1970s.

You should of probably picked Botswana if you wanted a happier example.

ReputationRep:
    Well duhh, every country has rich and poor parts. Are we supposed to be surprised or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patriot Rich)
    I agree with the not writing off an entire continent - there are plenty of success stories in Africa, but...

Nigeria is pretty much the most corrupt country in the world. Most of that wealth comes from overpaid officials who are skimming off exorbitant amounts of the oil revenue. Sure life's good for middle class residents in Lagos, but the average Nigerian has actually seen their income go down following the development of the oil industry from the 1970s.

This is very true. Corruption only causes lots of problems in African countries. However, it can be submitted that such corruption is unfortunate growing pains in the advancement of the continent - but it is for the people to stamp it out.

Lots of the oil revenue does not even trickle all the way down - I remember a recent news story regarding some missing tens of billions of pounds from oil revenue. Outrageous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sixtus)
    i started a thread the other time here just to get an idea of how people think when they hear the name Africa. and i was surprised at the comments. so i decided to open another thread to show you another part of Africa you dont hear of that much.

what you hear about Africa and the middle east on western media is what someone called a "single story". the problem with single stories, she said, is not that they are not true, but that they are incomplete! so that you dont get the true picture of what a people are. what you did not say, she said, is as important the one you said.

here is a video for you. pls ignore all the nasty comments on that site. this video was made before 2007. the city is a lot better than that today. after watching it, tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot1JtsOtDqA
    Is there a point to this other than discouraging charitable donations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolStoryBroo)
    Well duhh, every country has rich and poor parts. Are we supposed to be surprised or something
    I believe he was making a point. Everyone knows every country has rich and poor parts - however, in world as shown by the media, Africa apparently takes exception as a continent of starved, disease-ridden and war-torn lands. Clearly this is not the case. However, I disagree with the approach of the OP - a video showing a single place from years ago does not go as far to actually know more of the continent and its countries.

ReputationRep:
    "i am very glad that my money that i donated to charities has helped nigeria to build this city" :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    Is there a point to this other than discouraging charitable donations?
    Aid is itself problematic.

The way for the human to progress is by teaching him how to fish. You do not simply continue feeding him fish.

Many countries within the continent would be served well by increasing skills, intelligence and expertise. Cash should not simply be transformed into food and supplies and then leave it at that.

If a person was simply fed for many years and not taught how to get food for himself, laziness and apathy would set in. Charity, as welfare alike, can actually be very negative for human advancement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    "i am very glad that my money that i donated to charities has helped nigeria to build this city" :rofl2:
    I believe it's construction is the result of oil revenues.... :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Funny how an actionaid advert showing a starving black african child was just on before I saw this thread .
    Africa is the poorest continent in the world period,but it's not like if you go there you would just see desert and sand with all of these african kids looking like skeletons crawling around the floor like they try to portray in these adverts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Aid is itself problematic.
    THRUTH RIGHT THERE ^^^^

I don't know how people are so stupid to think that donating money to help a family in the short term is gonna help. Obviously the short term benefit is that they'll have food to eat but their kids will be born in the same environment and in 20 year time we'll also need to donate some more for those kids to feed their kids. Meaning that in the long run we aren't actually helping them.

The only truly logical way to end poverty is to invest in entrepreneurship and infrastructures of a country, give it a few decades and you'll see the standards of living of the rest of the country rise because of that.

But obviously rich countries like U.K and U.S won't wanna do that since many African countries have natural resource which would would make them direct competitors to these rich countries if they manage to get on their feet.

ReputationRep:
    We don't have many (i can't even think of any) charities in nigeria. ALL the money you lot send from england goes to uganda, botswana etc OR our greedy government give themselves bonuses and tell us how greedy people abroad are..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patriot Rich)

THIS! It's the people in power that are corrupting everything and many people who challenge them die. It's so bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink lipstick)
    THIS! It's the people in power that are corrupting everything and many people who challenge them die. It's so bad.
    Glad i escaped Nigeria tbh too much corruption. I remember when i was little my dad's car would randomly get stopped by the police on numerous occasions and he'd have to pay them hundreds of naira's before they let us go. Lol i actually saw it as a normal casual thing back then but looking back on it now, too much corruption.

ReputationRep:
    We don't have many (i can't even think of any) charities in nigeria. ALL the money you lot send from england goes to uganda, botswana etc OR our greedy government give themselves bonuses and tell us how greedy people abroad are..
    Why on earth are you telling me this? I was quoting one of the youtube comments...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolStoryBroo)
    Glad i escaped Nigeria tbh too much corruption. I remember when i was little my dad's car would randomly get stopped by the police on numerous occasions and he'd have to pay them hundreds of naira's before they let us go. Lol i actually saw it as a normal casual thing back then but looking back on it now, too much corruption.
    Lol. Lucky you. I'm currently studying in england but i go home often and nothing has changed. Everyone is so optimistic that all the corruption will end soon but i doubt it, maybe many generations after me but in the nearer future? No way!! Its divine intervention that is needed. We are neck deep in s**t.

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth are you telling me this? I was quoting one of the youtube comments...
    Didn't know that jheez :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Didn't know that jheez :rolleyes:
    The fact that I used quotation marks might have given you a clue that it wasn't something I said...

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Lucky you. I'm currently studying in england but i go home often and nothing has changed. Everyone is so optimistic that all the corruption will end soon but i doubt it, maybe many generations after me but in the nearer future? No way!! Its divine intervention that is needed. We are neck deep in s**t.
    The government is having a huge reconstruction where i lived in Nigeria to build the streets and make thing look better so i guess there's a glimpse of hope.

And the only way Nigeria can drastically change within the next few decades is to have Nigerians that that have lived and studied in other countries as part of the government and politicians since fresh ideas and a huge change in culture is needed.

As a huge exporter of oil you'd expect it to be one of the richest countries in the world

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.