Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Family member has been dismissed unfairly from work Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

He was dismissed from work even though he was physically unwell to attend any of the disciplinary meetings.

He worked for the company for 10 years and now they are terminating his contract.

Now, the way the situation was handled, he thinks it was extremely unfair.

They said he is entitled to 4 weeks notice rather than 11 week.
    They said he is physically able to work even though he provided them with substantial evidence that he's unwell.
    They lied to him and said that they had spoken to his GP even though the GP said that no one from his workplace contacted him.

I would highly appreciate it if someone could give me a template to work from. The citizen advice bureau said that I have to write a letter.

I am very stressed and don't know how to even write this letter.

I would appreciate it if you could give me a template if some sort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clubber)
    Hi,

He was dismissed from work even though he was physically unwell to attend any of the disciplinary meetings.

He worked for the company for 10 years and now they are terminating his contract.

They said he is physically able to work even though he provided them with substantial evidence that he's unwell.
    They lied to him and said that they had spoken to his GP even though the GP said that no one from his workplace contacted him.

I would highly appreciate it if someone could give me a template to work from. The citizen advice bureau said that I have to write a letter.

CAB should help you write the letter - my mum used to volunteer threre

ReputationRep:
    Just explain it all how you just have to us but write 'dear' and 'from' to the end, it's simple really. Just say you're outraged because of the mistreatment.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

First part - thats accurate providing they have made every attempt to be accommodating for his condition (including a home interview if needed)

They definitely lied about the GP - employers require your authorisation to contact your doctor for information. Your GP must also have consent from you to give it.

4 weeks notice - is about right, he'd have to read his employment contract for confirmation.

If he has written proof from his doctor (i.e signed off) then they are completely liable

And a letter from you is going to get a standard template back with a load of HR bull in it. If your family member really wants to do something he needs to instigate and unfair dismissal tribunal. And he'd better have all the paper work required to back it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    First part - thats accurate providing they have made every attempt to be accommodating for his condition (including a home interview if needed)

They definitely lied about the GP - employers require your authorisation to contact your doctor for information. Your GP must also have consent from you to give it.

4 weeks notice - is about right, he'd have to read his employment contract for confirmation.

If he has written proof from his doctor (i.e signed off) then they are completely liable

And a letter from you is going to get a standard template back with a load of HR bull in it. If your family member really wants to do something he needs to instigate and unfair dismissal tribunal. And he'd better have all the paper work required to back it up.
    We have a GP's note stating that no one from the workplace could speak to him without our consent. Its all on paper, with a signature and dated. I want to take legal action. Just because we are Asian and the employer is white does not give them the right to ******** and threaten like that. I said to the employer directly to her face that she never spoke to the GP and she was ****ing ********ting but then she went on to say 'sorry, i meant our company nurse said your family member was well enough to work'.

I just find it shocking that in this day and age that some people have to lie so much and make other peoples lives miserable. I also feel that the employer thinks that the family member is a bit retarted due to their old age and lack of English. They do not realise that the family member is well known back home and owns a land of property in some parts of the UK. The only reason why they worked this job was to fund their business and bills.

The fact that this has happened, has really stressed me out and it doesn't help when loads of bad things are all of a sudden happening to me. I want justice for what they have done.

ReputationRep:
    Get a copy of their disciplinary procedures, this should be in a work hand book. If you can prove that they did not follow their own procedures, and also have evidence that your family member was signed off sick and have a GP back this up then it sounds like you have a good case for unfair dismissal.

ReputationRep:
    We have a GP's note stating that no one from the workplace could speak to him without our consent. Its all on paper, with a signature and dated. I want to take legal action. Just because we are Asian and the employer is white does not give them the right to bull**** and threaten like that. I said to the employer directly to her face that she never spoke to the GP and she was ****ing bull****ting but then she went on to say 'sorry, i meant our company nurse said your family member was well enough to work'.

Has race been brought into the question at all? Playing the race card 'just because' is idiotic.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Never ask TSR for legal advice. That's what solicitors are for.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.