Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

There are no good films that are not previously books. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I mean, not a single good film has been made that I have seen unless it has been written by an actual writer. Lord of the Rings is the only exception here.

However all the worlds greatest films, Shutter Island, I Am Legend, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, I could go on for a long time, but you get the point.

Why can't film makers make good films?

Why do they need to steal other people's ideas?

I can't think of a single good film not based on a book.

ReputationRep:
    Inception? Avatar?

There are lots of amazing literary adaptations, but it's not 'stealing', they're bringing a book to life. They pay the author, who usually has a lot of input in the film. JK Rowling, for example, produced the last film and edited the script to her standards.

Filmmakers these days don't want to take a risk and make a completely new idea into a film, in case it bombs. If the book/comic/whatever has been popular, there is already a guaranteed audience of the film, meaning they will almost definitely make profit.

It's all about money I'm afraid!

ReputationRep:
    Without checking whether each of the films i like were books beforehand, there is no way to disprove your theory... Are all the Stanley Kubrick films made from books?

ReputationRep:
    The writer has to accept the adaptation so it isn't stealing, really. The Hunger Games is hardly one of the world's greatest film but it comes down to opinion. However, to support your argument, Fight Club, A Clockwork Orange...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)

all the worlds greatest films I Am Legend, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games

lol.

There are a lot of good films that aren't book adaptions. You just need to look harder for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShaunR)
    The writer has to accept the adaptation so it isn't stealing, really. The Hunger Games is hardly one of the world's greatest film but it comes down to opinion. However, to support your argument, Fight Club, A Clockwork Orange...
    Fight Club is based on the novel by Palahniuk.

ReputationRep:
    Lost in Translation is one of my favourite films, which isn't based on a book. I kind of wish it was, as it covers all the themes I love to read about.

The Artist is also a fantastic film. Let's not forget the Indiana Jones Trilogy! (The forth film doesn't exist, in my mind).
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Going by the IMDB top 25, I have bolded the ones that were not originally books:

1. 9.2 The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
    2. 9.2 The Godfather (1972)
    3. 9.0 The Godfather: Part II (1974)
    4. 8.9 Pulp Fiction (1994)
    5. 8.9 The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
    6. 8.9 12 Angry Men (1957)
    7. 8.9 The Dark Knight (2008)

8. 8.9 Schindler's List (1993)
    9. 8.8 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
    10. 8.8 Fight Club (1999)
    11. 8.8 Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    12. 8.8 The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
    13. 8.8 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
    14. 8.7 Inception (2010)
    15. 8.7 Goodfellas (1990)
    16. 8.7 Star Wars (1977)
    17. 8.7 Seven Samurai (1954)
    18. 8.7 Forrest Gump (1994)
    19. 8.7 The Matrix (1999)
    20. 8.7 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
    21. 8.7 City of God (2002)
    22. 8.6 Se7en (1995)
    23. 8.6 Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
    24. 8.6 The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
    25. 8.6 Casablanca (1942)

12/25, just off half of the supposed top 25 films.

ReputationRep:
    Acording to IMDB - 118 of its top250 movies, were based on books..

so it seems fairly evenly spaced apart, between the two?

ReputationRep:
    False.

Twilight.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, not a single good film has been made that I have seen unless it has been written by an actual writer. Lord of the Rings is the only exception here.
    Why have you counted LOTR as an exception? You say that all good films are based on books, so the only way you can see LOTR as an exception is if you think they were good films yet not based on books.

ReputationRep:
    That says more about yourself really than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    Despicable Me
    Wall-E
    Wreck-It Ralph

All awesome.

However all the worlds greatest films, Shutter Island, I Am Legend, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, I could go on for a long time, but you get the point.
    :rofl: I can't take you seriously now. Financial success doesn't always match quality.

Ever heard of Alfred Hitchcock? You must be clueless about cinema. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I also agree with the point made up there^ that said it says more about yourself than anything else. Maybe you just prefer adaptations!

ReputationRep:
    I'd argue that the only books worth reading are the ones made into films, and that the existence of said films makes reading the books redundant.

Come at me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    :rofl: I can't take you seriously now. Financial success doesn't always match quality.

Ever heard of Alfred Hitchcock? You must be clueless about cinema. :rolleyes:
    No need to get nasty.
    Just because you don't believe HP is one of the world's greatest series of movies, doesn't make it fact. Opinions aren't facts. It just makes you look like a ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Going by the IMDB top 25, I have bolded the ones that were not originally books:

1. 9.2 The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
    2. 9.2 The Godfather (1972)
    3. 9.0 The Godfather: Part II (1974)
    4. 8.9 Pulp Fiction (1994)
    5. 8.9 The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
    6. 8.9 12 Angry Men (1957)
    7. 8.9 The Dark Knight (2008)

8. 8.9 Schindler's List (1993)
    9. 8.8 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
    10. 8.8 Fight Club (1999)
    11. 8.8 Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    12. 8.8 The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
    13. 8.8 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
    14. 8.7 Inception (2010)
    15. 8.7 Goodfellas (1990)
    16. 8.7 Star Wars (1977)
    17. 8.7 Seven Samurai (1954)
    18. 8.7 Forrest Gump (1994)
    19. 8.7 The Matrix (1999)
    20. 8.7 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
    21. 8.7 City of God (2002)
    22. 8.6 Se7en (1995)
    23. 8.6 Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
    24. 8.6 The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
    25. 8.6 Casablanca (1942)

12/25, just off half of the supposed top 25 films.
    Isn't only half of godfather 2 from the book? The bit in the 'present' with Al Pachino is original for the film isn't it? Or have I remembered that wrong?

And Dark Knight is based on the batman comics so that's a bit iffy.

And the film of shawshank is actually a lot better than the book I think. One of those rare occasions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    I'd argue that the only books worth reading are the ones made into films, and that the existence of said films makes reading the books redundant.

Come at me.
    Crazy fool!

With Lord of the Rings even the 12+ hour extended editions don't even come close to covering all the book! The films are great but they can't capture the magic of the books it totally different.

ReputationRep:
    The Lion King is Hamlet.

Just chucking that out there.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.