There are no good films that are not previously books. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherposter)
    Since when was JRR Tolkien not an 'actual writer?'
    ^ This is what I want to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holson)
    Inception? Avatar?

There are lots of amazing literary adaptations, but it's not 'stealing', they're bringing a book to life. They pay the author, who usually has a lot of input in the film. JK Rowling, for example, produced the last film and edited the script to her standards.

Filmmakers these days don't want to take a risk and make a completely new idea into a film, in case it bombs. If the book/comic/whatever has been popular, there is already a guaranteed audience of the film, meaning they will almost definitely make profit.

It's all about money I'm afraid!
    Avatar is not original, it is alien Pocahontas.

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of good movies that are not based on novels... Look at directors like Lubitsch, Orson Welles, Hitchcock or the French New Wave... Of course they're not commercial movies, but what are we talking about here? Cinema in general or blockbusters/commercial cinema in particular?

And even if we don't focus on classics, there are still plenty of masterpieces but I suppose they're not popular enough and people don't think of them, that's all.

(Original post by holson)
    No need to get nasty.
    Just because you don't believe HP is one of the world's greatest series of movies, doesn't make it fact. Opinions aren't facts. It just makes you look like a ****.
    It's not a matter of considering HP as great movies or not, if you want facts, well you can't deny the truth: there are classics, universally considered as masterpieces, and which are original scripts. It's a bit easy to only mention commercial stuff.

(PS: commercial movies can be great, don't get me wrong.)

ReputationRep:
    Troll? :ninja:

Just have a look through the Oscar wins (and nominations) for Best Original Screenplay and I'm sure there will be a film to compete with I Am Legend and the Harry Potter series.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Just thought i'd list my top 10 films

Gummo (original screenplay by harmony korine)
    Fear, Anxiety and depression (original screenplay by tood solondz)
    dancer in the dark (original screenplay by lars von trier)
    buffalo 66 (original screenplay by vincent gallo)
    slap shot (original screenplay by nancy dowd)
    poolhall junkies (original screenplay by mars callahan and some other guy whos name i forgot)
    pulp fiction (original screenplay by quentin tarantino)
    down by law (original screenplay by jim jarmusch)
    anything else (original screenplay by woody allen)
    benny's video (original screenplay by michael haneke)

All of these films have original screenplays, all but one are written by directors, not full time writers. There have been some wonderful movies adapted from books (jack clayton's the great gatsby, frank darabont's shawshank redemption, francis coppola's the outsiders) but in my opinion the best films are written originally by the director, because only by doing that can the films be truly auteured. and to say its not written by an "actual writer" isn't true at all, if you're a screenwriter and not a novel writer, you're still a writer, but a completely different kind of writer. most books that are made into films are rewritten by a screenwriter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    Lord of the Rings is the only exception here.
    LOTR was based on a book..

(Original post by bestofyou)
    I can't think of a single good film not based on a book.
    Right, here we go.
    500 Days Of Summer, Being John Malcovich, Black Swan, Bottle Rocket, Casablanca, Castle In The Sky, In The Loop, Inception, Juno, Local Hero, Memento, Moonrise Kingdom, My Neighbor Totoro, Ponyo, Rain Man, Rushmore, Sideways, Silver Linings Playbook, Spirited Away, The Blues Brothers, The Darjeeling Limited, The Graduate, The Italian Job, The Life Aquatic, The Social Network, The Truman Show, Toy Story 1,2,3, Up, Wall-E.
    To name a few. Though I haven't actually checked one or two of those may have been adapted.

ReputationRep:
    Pulp Fiction, Blade Runner, The Siege of Firebase Gloria. All three are amazing movies, there's countless more. Don't refrain from watching a movie because it doesn't look good. At the end of the day, most movies have something to offer and aren't completely terrible.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.