Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Please can someone kindly help me with a physics question on my assignment. The question is:

A 300kg roller coaster car starts from rest at point A and coasts down the track. If the retarding friction force is 20N along the way, how fast is the car going?

a) At point B
    b) At point C

Distance AB= 200m
    Distance BC= 120m
    Point A is 50m above point B and 20m above point C.

I know i need to use work, power and energy but don't know what equation to apply to the question.
    Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you need to bring power into this. Just energy

Work Done = Force x Distance
    Change in gravitational potential = mass x 9.8 x change in height

That's probably all you need

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolly Bolly)
    what the **** is this to do with mechanics, perhaps invest in a set of useful tools insted
    I'm pretty sure using mgh counts as mechanics. I don't see the bio link, but she might just be studying biomechanics, and a physics class might have asked this question...

ReputationRep:
    Biomechanics is the title of the unit i am studying and this question has been given to us by our teacher!!

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.