Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

deep/intense conditioning treatment Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, my hair at the moment really needs a bit of help! I shampoo and blow dry my hair daily, and use a heat defence conditioner every other day. I've noticed now though that the tips are incredibly dry and split. So I'm going to try a deep/intense conditioning treatment, there are so many about though I haven't a clue where to start. Any reccomendations? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahthegemini)
    Hi there, my hair at the moment really needs a bit of help! I shampoo and blow dry my hair daily, and use a heat defence conditioner every other day. I've noticed now though that the tips are incredibly dry and split. So I'm going to try a deep/intense conditioning treatment, there are so many about though I haven't a clue where to start. Any reccomendations? Thanks!
    I would avoid blow drying daily, that much heat is just terrible for your hair. When I'm going to be applying heat to my hair I use Trevor Sorbie Straightening Addict shampoo, conditioner and the protect, flatten and shine spray. Boots usually have deals on so they're a bit cheaper. I always find my hair comes out a lot smoother and seems less damaged when I use these products.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My hair is just like yours!

I've stopped shampoo-ing my hair for a start every day. I shampoo once/twice a week and use a conditioner instead.

I use the following:
    http://www.johnfrieda.co.uk/homecolo...nditioner.aspx

http://www.superdrug.com/haircare/ch...l/invt/217165/

I also tie my hair back at night or braid it loosely to prevent knots in my hair forming.
    I also use argan oil and Loreal Mythic Oil because my hair is so dry it looks dull.
    And I sometimes use oil (coconut usually but I'm gonna try avocado) on a weekend before washing my hair.

And I've cut down the blow drying to four days a week. No matter what you do to your hair, the blow drying will add to the damage so try and limit it.

ReputationRep:
    Aussie have a really good range, i think they're called 3 minute miracle? and I'd say if you're going to wash and blow dry your hair everyday use conditioner daily and use heat defense spray as well as that conditioner as I've found that when I've relied on conditioners for heat protection my hair's always suffered (the new loreal heat defense sprays are really good and the tresseme ones are pretty good too)

Plus it's already been said but, if your hair doesn't get too bad when you skip a wash, try leaving it for a day (even if it's just every now and then if you're not going out that/the next day) and using a dry shampoo on the roots. this has really improved my hairs condition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliza.anne)
    I would avoid blow drying daily, that much heat is just terrible for your hair. When I'm going to be applying heat to my hair I use Trevor Sorbie Straightening Addict shampoo, conditioner and the protect, flatten and shine spray. Boots usually have deals on so they're a bit cheaper. I always find my hair comes out a lot smoother and seems less damaged when I use these products.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you, I hate not blow drying my hair, it's part of my routine now but I am going to cut down. Do you think a heat defence spray/serum before blow drying would make a difference or should I just avoid using a hair dryer as much as possible? I have to be careful using a lot of products on my hair as it's thin and can look a bit flat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    My hair is just like yours!

I've stopped shampoo-ing my hair for a start every day. I shampoo once/twice a week and use a conditioner instead.

I use the following:
    http://www.johnfrieda.co.uk/homecolo...nditioner.aspx

http://www.superdrug.com/haircare/ch...l/invt/217165/

I also tie my hair back at night or braid it loosely to prevent knots in my hair forming.
    I also use argan oil and Loreal Mythic Oil because my hair is so dry it looks dull.
    And I sometimes use oil (coconut usually but I'm gonna try avocado) on a weekend before washing my hair.

And I've cut down the blow drying to four days a week. No matter what you do to your hair, the blow drying will add to the damage so try and limit it.
    I wish I could go a day w/o washing my hair but it gets so limp and flat looking if I forgo a shampooing Thank you for the links, I will give the Charles Worthington product a try Would argan oil (what is that exactly? ) work for me? I'd be a little worried that it might make my hair greasier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paigiey)
    Aussie have a really good range, i think they're called 3 minute miracle? and I'd say if you're going to wash and blow dry your hair everyday use conditioner daily and use heat defense spray as well as that conditioner as I've found that when I've relied on conditioners for heat protection my hair's always suffered (the new loreal heat defense sprays are really good and the tresseme ones are pretty good too)

Plus it's already been said but, if your hair doesn't get too bad when you skip a wash, try leaving it for a day (even if it's just every now and then if you're not going out that/the next day) and using a dry shampoo on the roots. this has really improved my hairs condition
    I used to love Aussie products! But I found after a while, even they dried my hair out :s So you think I should use conditioner every day (or every day I blow dry)? along with a defense spray? I always worried conditioning too much would make my hair flatter/more limp but I guess I need to use it daily to help the drying.

ReputationRep:
    I used to love Aussie products! But I found after a while, even they dried my hair out :s So you think I should use conditioner every day (or every day I blow dry)? along with a defense spray? I always worried conditioning too much would make my hair flatter/more limp but I guess I need to use it daily to help the drying.
    Have you thought of trying a protein treatment, it makes your hair stronger. If you do it once in a while your hair shouldn't be too limp after a moisturising deep condition

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely try using a conditioner every time you wash but if it does make your hair limp I've got a trevor sorbie thickening leave in conditioner. I think it works really well, definately makes my hir feel thicker plus it has added heat protection and I was really impressed considering how fairly priced it was... makes my hair quite shiny too
    But I'd definitely invest in a heat protection spray too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paigiey)
    I'd definitely try using a conditioner every time you wash but if it does make your hair limp I've got a trevor sorbie thickening leave in conditioner. I think it works really well, definately makes my hir feel thicker plus it has added heat protection and I was really impressed considering how fairly priced it was... makes my hair quite shiny too
    But I'd definitely invest in a heat protection spray too
    Wow that sounds perfect lol I'll be giving that a try, thank you for the reccomendation! Do you know if there's actually a difference hetween heat protection sprays and heat protection serums?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heirloom)
    Have you thought of trying a protein treatment, it makes your hair stronger. If you do it once in a while your hair shouldn't be too limp after a moisturising deep condition

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I didn't vevn know protein treatments existed :O I've just done a quick google and had a look at a few products that have good reviews

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I hate not blow drying my hair, it's part of my routine now but I am going to cut down. Do you think a heat defence spray/serum before blow drying would make a difference or should I just avoid using a hair dryer as much as possible? I have to be careful using a lot of products on my hair as it's thin and can look a bit flat
    I think it would help possibly, but maybe you should avoid using the blow dryer as much as poss. Especially as you have quite thin hair, I understand having a routine but maybe if you're not going out one day let it dry naturally? Or blowdry it every other time you wash your hair? I think that'd make a big difference

ReputationRep:
    Nothing is going to remove your split ends, unfortunately. You need to have a trim to get the hair healthy again, and THEN begin a new hair routine. Using conditioning treatments when the damage has already been done will make it look / feel better in the short-term, but in the long-term, that hair is broken now and will continue growing split. So, the first thing you need to do really is get it cut. Sorry - I know how frustrating it is, especially if you like having long hair, but getting it trimmed is the only way to get it healthy in the long-term.

Once you've got it trimmed, TRY and get a new routine in place that involves less heat! Start washing your hair every other day instead of every day. On the days where you don't wash it, use Baptiste Dry Shampoo - I use a mix of two to make it look freshly washed. One is the "hint of colour", the other is "volumising XXL". Combined, they'll boost your hair and get rid of any greasiness. Your hair only "needs" washing every day because it's got used to it.

When you wash your hair, use a good quality shampoo. Don't rub the scalp too much or lather it up excessively, doing this makes hair break easier especially if it's already delicate. I recommend only using conditioner on the ends of your hair, as this helps to prevent build up. Rinse your hair with cold water before you get out the shower, it closes the cuticles and helps it to look smooth and less frizzy. (It's hard to do this on cold wintery mornings, but it really does make your hair look better. And, bonus, it helps you to wake up )

Minimise the amount of heat you expose your hair to by letting it air dry and gently towel-drying it for a while to get most of the water out. Avoid combing or brushing it when it's wet, don't rub it too hard with the towel, don't sleep with wet hair, don't tie it up very tightly, etc. These things all cause damage!

Once a week, use an intense conditioner. Percy & Reed and Aussie do some really good intense hair treatments. The best product though is coconut oil - works absolute wonders on hair. Argon oil is supposed to be really good too, I haven't got around to trying it but it's supposed to be fab.

Hope this helps! I know it's difficult to stop heat-treating your hair, but honestly, it's worth it! I used to blow-dry and straighten my hair every day, but I eventually got it cut it short, and stopped treating it so badly. My hair has grown really quickly (much quicker than before), looks healthier, more volume, etc. So try and give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could go a day w/o washing my hair but it gets so limp and flat looking if I forgo a shampooing Thank you for the links, I will give the Charles Worthington product a try Would argan oil (what is that exactly? ) work for me? I'd be a little worried that it might make my hair greasier?
    Try diluting the shampoo and rubbing it between your hands first before applying to the hair otherwise it's too drying. I tend to do this in summer a lot where I have to shampoo my hair everyday from all that yucky sweating.

It's an oil from Morocco. Bit on the pricey side but I only use it 2/3 times a week and use a small amount. At the roots yes, but I only use it on my hair starting about near the end of my ears to the ends. Focus oils on the tips of hair.

I wash my hair everyday though. Just not always with shampoo. I just use warm water to rinse through my hair and if my hair's greasy I use the Charles Worthington masque. It never makes me hair greasy. even at the roots

ReputationRep:
    About a month ago I had TERRIBLE hair. I've had extensions for about 7 years, weaves and micro rings, and when I last had them taken out, they ripped out so much of my own hair! The hair that was left was patchy, dry, brittle and generally horribly damaged. I invented my own regime and less than a month later my hair's soft and in good condition, and it's grown so much!I know this by my roots-I had terrible roots less than 3 weeks after starting to take care of my hair. It's a bit long to type here but my latest (I think!) tumblr post details what I did, I'll link you. All relatively inexpensive, no fancy products apart from when I do wash my hair (only once or twice per week)I used Paul Mitchell Shampoo.
    http://sugarmouse0707.tumblr.com/

ReputationRep:
    Try diluting the shampoo and rubbing it between your hands first before applying to the hair otherwise it's too drying. I tend to do this in summer a lot where I have to shampoo my hair everyday from all that yucky sweating.

It's an oil from Morocco. Bit on the pricey side but I only use it 2/3 times a week and use a small amount. At the roots yes, but I only use it on my hair starting about near the end of my ears to the ends. Focus oils on the tips of hair.

I wash my hair everyday though. Just not always with shampoo. I just use warm water to rinse through my hair and if my hair's greasy I use the Charles Worthington masque. It never makes me hair greasy. even at the roots
    Sorry for jumping in here! But do you find that even if your hair is looking greasy, washing it with just warm water and no shampoo still makes it look better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliza.anne)
    I think it would help possibly, but maybe you should avoid using the blow dryer as much as poss. Especially as you have quite thin hair, I understand having a routine but maybe if you're not going out one day let it dry naturally? Or blowdry it every other time you wash your hair? I think that'd make a big difference
    Right, that's what I'm going to do then - cut waaaay back with the blowdryer, it isn't really a neccesity when I'm staying in, as I say, it's just routine now so that should be an easy change. And I will condition and use heat protection spray when I do blow dry, thank you for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilie18)
    Nothing is going to remove your split ends, unfortunately. You need to have a trim to get the hair healthy again, and THEN begin a new hair routine. Using conditioning treatments when the damage has already been done will make it look / feel better in the short-term, but in the long-term, that hair is broken now and will continue growing split. So, the first thing you need to do really is get it cut. Sorry - I know how frustrating it is, especially if you like having long hair, but getting it trimmed is the only way to get it healthy in the long-term.

Once you've got it trimmed, TRY and get a new routine in place that involves less heat! Start washing your hair every other day instead of every day. On the days where you don't wash it, use Baptiste Dry Shampoo - I use a mix of two to make it look freshly washed. One is the "hint of colour", the other is "volumising XXL". Combined, they'll boost your hair and get rid of any greasiness. Your hair only "needs" washing every day because it's got used to it.

When you wash your hair, use a good quality shampoo. Don't rub the scalp too much or lather it up excessively, doing this makes hair break easier especially if it's already delicate. I recommend only using conditioner on the ends of your hair, as this helps to prevent build up. Rinse your hair with cold water before you get out the shower, it closes the cuticles and helps it to look smooth and less frizzy. (It's hard to do this on cold wintery mornings, but it really does make your hair look better. And, bonus, it helps you to wake up )

Minimise the amount of heat you expose your hair to by letting it air dry and gently towel-drying it for a while to get most of the water out. Avoid combing or brushing it when it's wet, don't rub it too hard with the towel, don't sleep with wet hair, don't tie it up very tightly, etc. These things all cause damage!

Once a week, use an intense conditioner. Percy & Reed and Aussie do some really good intense hair treatments. The best product though is coconut oil - works absolute wonders on hair. Argon oil is supposed to be really good too, I haven't got around to trying it but it's supposed to be fab.

Hope this helps! I know it's difficult to stop heat-treating your hair, but honestly, it's worth it! I used to blow-dry and straighten my hair every day, but I eventually got it cut it short, and stopped treating it so badly. My hair has grown really quickly (much quicker than before), looks healthier, more volume, etc. So try and give it a go.
    Thank you so much for this, that is unbelievably helpful I did worry that I'd need a trim, my hair isn't particularly long (about shoulder length) but I reckon a good few inches will need to he chopped off I will take all your advice on board, I didn't realise things such as excessive lathering and scrubbin the scalp made a difference :eek: so I will work on this too. First things first, go to the hairdressers :/ I've never really taken great care of my hair, so this will be a shake up. New hair and a new routine!

ReputationRep:

Thank you, will take this on board I'll try just rinsing my hair with either no shampoo at all (which will feel very odd!) Or very diluted shampoo. And I'll give the oil a good think too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaHillier)
    Sorry for jumping in here! But do you find that even if your hair is looking greasy, washing it with just warm water and no shampoo still makes it look better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some days it's fine and I only run v warm water through my hair but that's a rarity. I use my Charles Worthington masque thingy sometimes. Often though I tend to just stick with just warm water. It does feel greasy still but it tends to look less. I massage the roots well though. I've used aloe vera gel too. It was a little drying but on my gross roots it was okay.

Thank you, will take this on board I'll try just rinsing my hair with either no shampoo at all (which will feel very odd!) Or very diluted shampoo. And I'll give the oil a good think too.
    If your hair is really greasy I'd go with the diluted shampoo. My hair is only light/medium greasy the day after. I tend to wash my hair everyday only because I feel really weird and gross if I don't!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.