Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Not sure how good of an idea it would be to do a degree which effectively prepares you to apply for medicine (from their website). What happens if you don't make it again? Will student finance help fund a second degree if you change your mind? Will employers look favorable on the degree if you decide to give up on medicine? Try and apply strategically, and prepare really hard for your interviews, getting lots of mocks in before the big day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtomicMan)
    Not sure how good of an idea it would be to do a degree which effectively prepares you to apply for medicine (from their website). What happens if you don't make it again? Will student finance help fund a second degree if you change your mind? Will employers look favorable on the degree if you decide to give up on medicine? Try and apply strategically, and prepare really hard for your interviews, getting lots of mocks in before the big day.
    Thanks for this, its helpful. I did ask them the same thing and they said its like any other..and everything i have seen your read suggests this to be true.
    We all know there are 1000's of students doing a BSc only to get into medical or dental school as a graduate. So what do they do if they dont get in? These guys are not saying they have a magic formula, just that they might be a better option then whats out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigling)
    Excuse me but that post was months ago. I found a few testimonials saying to avoid the place and that it was a scam. Also I said "bull****" to they don't know how many go on to a UK medical school (more like they don't want to tell), which is what the OP quoted them as having said. I stand by that sentiment wherever an organisation "doesn't have" important statistics which may decide whether you invest or not.

Ahh ok..that was before their BSc launch then, i remember seeing that too. But now when I call, they have all the stats and they are good.

And medipathways have published no statistics on how many of their students with BBB at A-levels secure a position in a medical school in the UK... Why might that be?
    But thats cos you cant get in with BBB, everyone knows that. They dont let you into the premed unless you have AAA now. If you have less than that you can do their BSc. Sounds logical to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigling)
    How does the medical school which runs the courses have nothing to do with them? The knowledge that many have graduated with fairly useless degrees after being led to believe they would gain a qualification enabling them to work in the UK, and a Dean who seems to be all but a crook... It would bother me, I want to point it out to others that is all.

Fair enough if you don't have the grades and need a degree. But even under these circumstances, I would be cautious of a self-professed degree for "getting into medicine" over an alternative. That, however, is more speculative. Remember the OP I was originally addressing is amongst those who already has AAA and stands to gain little from a degree qualification (in terms of getting into medicine).

The transfer option seems to be a very expensive way of getting advice on your standard UCAS application...
    Sure, if you think that some of them might be crooks, thats your opinion i guess. But it doubt he is, and even if he was, it would not concern me because the UK medical/dental schools would not be considering any of their graduates if the course or individuals running it are not up to scratch.

The transfer option is expensive, but if it gets you into UK medical school, then who cares. Still much cheaper then doing a whole 3-years and still be nowhere. And I dont think they just help with UCAS etc for 16k, its actually the first half of their BSc. in case you dont get in. This is why I think it works really well for those that want to do a BSc and also maxmise chances for UK medical or dental school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1kita)
    But thats cos you cant get in with BBB, everyone knows that. They dont let you into the premed unless you have AAA now. If you have less than that you can do their BSc. Sounds logical to me.
    Let's ignore the BSc option here because these are two completely different options (that's not to say the BSc option is actually worth considering seriously either).

If you already had AAA at A-Level, why the bloody hell would you spend thousands of pounds on doing a Pre-Med year with these people?

All they could possibly help you with is getting a better UKCAT or BMAT score, writing a better personal statement, performing better at interview, if this is even what they do, and they do not stand to make you any better at these things than some independent preparation will. If all they do is give you science teaching for a year the only thing it could possibly help you with is the BMAT, which most people do not do, and which someone with AAA at A-level should stand to do perfectly well in already.

If they do help you with the other things, they won't be aiding your application any more than if you were to just do the normal preparation anyone with a brain does if they're reapplying - buy a book off Amazon for the UKCAT, get a mock interview if necessary, write a better personal statement and get people on TSR to check it. They won't help you with getting extra work experience/voluntary work either, which is arguably one of the bigger things that gets people in the second time round, beyond simply applying more wisely to universities that suit your strengths, which this Pre-Med course cannot help you any more with than some quick perusing of TSR/the internet in general.

As for the 2-year BSc now - in case you missed someone else pointing this out, the only way this happens is by making you attend uni virtually the whole year round. This would, however, be fine if you were happy to do that.

I've checked what they say about the course and it seems OK in terms of content etc, but it can only be deemed equivalent to a regular Biomedical Science degree if it will be accepted as readily by employers/postgraduate admissions and so on, which we have absolutely no idea about.

Not only that, but the course has evidently not even been approved yet, as pointed out on their site.

To make matters even worse, the finance situation has not been sorted yet, but they ever-so-optimistically state that funding through Student Finance could cover up to 50% of yearly tuition and living costs. Where exactly are you going to get the rest of the money?

That is in no way cheaper or easier than doing a standard three-academic-year degree that is already established, approved, accepted by employers and postgraduate admissions and which you don't have to cough up thousands of pounds up front for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Let's ignore the BSc option here because these are two completely different options (that's not to say the BSc option is actually worth considering seriously either).

If you already had AAA at A-Level, why the bloody hell would you spend thousands of pounds on doing a Pre-Med year with these people?

All they could possibly help you with is getting a better UKCAT or BMAT score, writing a better personal statement, performing better at interview, if this is even what they do, and they do not stand to make you any better at these things than some independent preparation will. If all they do is give you science teaching for a year the only thing it could possibly help you with is the BMAT, which most people do not do, and which someone with AAA at A-level should stand to do perfectly well in already.

If they do help you with the other things, they won't be aiding your application any more than if you were to just do the normal preparation anyone with a brain does if they're reapplying - buy a book off Amazon for the UKCAT, get a mock interview if necessary, write a better personal statement and get people on TSR to check it. They won't help you with getting extra work experience/voluntary work either, which is arguably one of the bigger things that gets people in the second time round, beyond simply applying more wisely to universities that suit your strengths, which this Pre-Med course cannot help you any more with than some quick perusing of TSR/the internet in general.
    This is why I would do it:
    1. To Confirm a place to study abroad: eg: Caribbean Medical schools, who would not otherwise be able to take me on directly
    2. Just incase I dont get in, I can still finish off a recognised BSc in just 1 more calendar year, and then re-apply as a graduate.
    3. Having AAA doesn't mean I will necessarily get into UK med school. Having a premed course shows I have enhanced my academic ability and cope with University education, rather then just spend a whole year swotting for BMAT and UKCAT.
    4. All of the above gives a sense of confidence when applying, rather then be left out in the rain a year later.

As for the 2-year BSc now - in case you missed someone else pointing this out, the only way this happens is by making you attend uni virtually the whole year round. This would, however, be fine if you were happy to do that.
    I know I and most of my friends who are in a similar position, would be totally happy with that

checked what they say about the course and it seems OK in terms of content etc, but it can only be deemed equivalent to a regular Biomedical Science degree if it will be accepted as readily by employers/postgraduate admissions and so on, which we have absolutely no idea about.
    So far all medical and dental schools in theUK I have contacted say it is accepted. Thats all I need to know for now.

only that, but the course has evidently not even been approved yet, as pointed out on their site.

To make matters even worse, the finance situation has not been sorted yet, but they ever-so-optimistically state that funding through Student Finance could cover up to 50% of yearly tuition and living costs. Where exactly are you going to get the rest of the money?

That is in no way cheaper or easier than doing a standard three-academic-year degree that is already established, approved, accepted by employers and postgraduate admissions and which you don't have to cough up thousands of pounds up front for.
    As they have only just been approved, this is standard practice and then course will be fully approved in a few weeks, which is when I will be able to apply via UCAS.

As for costs, I did the sums and its definitely cheaper cos you are saving a year of your life and living expenses. And if I qualify for their bursary, then the entire BSc will cost me just 12k. There isn't a uni in the country that can come close to that.

Hope this was useful.

ReputationRep:
    I have learnt that the ones to object to Medipathways courses are ones that have already committed to a standard 3-year BSc, there may be an element of jealousy or sour grapes...because these opportunities were not about when they did them...
    Why else would they be spending so much time on this forum just to **** a course off which has nothing to do with them,,?

Either that, or they work for TSR and are actively engaging and controversial issues to spark more debate...some of them have been on here for years....lol

Very odd, but....Interesting....

ReputationRep:
    If you are so dead set on doing this course why did you bother starting the thread?

ReputationRep:
    1. To Confirm a place to study abroad: eg: Caribbean Medical schools, who would not otherwise be able to take me on directly
    2. Just incase I dont get in, I can still finish off a recognised BSc in just 1 more calendar year, and then re-apply as a graduate.
    3. Having AAA doesn't mean I will necessarily get into UK med school. Having a premed course shows I have enhanced my academic ability and cope with University education, rather then just spend a whole year swotting for BMAT and UKCAT.
    4. All of the above gives a sense of confidence when applying, rather then be left out in the rain a year later.
    Why the hell would you want to go to a Caribbean medical school? Do you know anything about them or the job prospects? Do you actually have any idea about this stuff? Because it seems like you're desperately trying to come up with reasons for the sake of not losing the argument, by talking out of your arse.

No-one gets rejected for Medicine with AAA because their ability to cope with university-level education is in question. People also don't get let in just for swotting UKCAT/BMAT for a year and that is not the alternative plan of action, but nice strawman.

What are you talking about? Doing just about anything on a gap year that isn't sitting inside your room the whole time gives you an increased sense of confidence. For example, getting a job, doing some voluntary work and work experience, going travelling. All acceptable alternate plans to screaming 'help, I can't cope with not being in full-time education for a year, hold my hand so I don't have to do any thinking or planning of my own and I'll pay you thousands of pounds'. If you don't get in upon reapplying and decide to do a different degree, you will at least have a strong chance at a different career later on, instead of looking like you were unable to let go of something and move on for a while.

I know I and most of my friends who are in a similar position, would be totally happy with that

So far all medical and dental schools in theUK I have contacted say it is accepted. Thats all I need to know for now.
    And if you don't get in? Does anywhere else accept it for any other career? Or are you genuinely so convinced you'll get in that you're willing to jeopardise any other career you might later decide to try instead?

As they have only just been approved, this is standard practice and then course will be fully approved in a few weeks, which is when I will be able to apply via UCAS.

As for costs, I did the sums and its definitely cheaper cos you are saving a year of your life and living expenses. And if I qualify for their bursary, then the entire BSc will cost me just 12k. There isn't a uni in the country that can come close to that.

Hope this was useful.
    If you're this wrapped up in the costs of a degree you have no real grasp of how Student Finance works. How are you going to pay for the parts you have to pay up front? And the living costs not covered by the 'up to 50%' student loans? What if you get barely anything or absolutely nothing in the way of their bursary?

It is clear all you want is to tick a box so you can continue applying to Medicine ad infinitum. If you fail to get in and suddenly wake up to your need to pursue something else, you might then learn what it is that people look for in a university education - and realise you wasted your chance at university. Grad Entry admissions rarely care about where you got your degree from - but this is not the case anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hello :) :))
    hey

I've recently received my last rejection from medical school. Receiving grades AAA, completing tonnes of medical related work experience, completing and still doing 2 years of voluntary work with a charity organisation and having outside interests, I have been rejected for the second time. I even completed a very productive gap year consisting of lots of travelling and more work and work experience! Disheartened, I have been looking at many alternative routes. One that caught my eye was the medipathway premed course.

http://medipathways.com/premed.html

I was wondering if anyone knew much about the course and the statistics of students that got into medical school in the UK after completing it. Or if anyone actually did the course and is now in a UK medical school because of it?

They said that last year 77% of their students got into medical school but those stats include medical schools abroad. I have phoned them to ask how many got into a UK medical school but they said they didn't have the statistics for that. I do not want to apply for the course and study it if my only chance to study medicine is abroad, which I can't afford. (20000 euros a year!)

Would really appreciate some advice!

Thanks
    I wouldn't recommend such a course. I know somebody who did it up in Bradford, but to no avail. I recommend you apply to uni's in Europe- provided you have good financial backing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliciaBrown90)
    I have learnt that the ones to object to Medipathways courses are ones that have already committed to a standard 3-year BSc, there may be an element of jealousy or sour grapes...because these opportunities were not about when they did them...
    Why else would they be spending so much time on this forum just to **** a course off which has nothing to do with them,,?

Either that, or they work for TSR and are actively engaging and controversial issues to spark more debate...some of them have been on here for years....lol

Very odd, but....Interesting....
    No-one has reason to '**** off' a commercial course other than to point out gaps in logic and information on behalf of those praising it in order to protect the many gullible and desperate applicants who read the Medicine subforum on TSR who will not necessarily be experienced enough to work out what is what.

On the other hand, there are two reasons to doggedly defend a course - if you've decided you're going to do it and you don't want people to realise what might be wrong with it and judge you/your choices, or if you're being paid to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    If you are so dead set on doing this course why did you bother starting the thread?
    I am not dead set on this, but I want to meet other like-minded students who are also up for these courses...
    I just need a 'smoking-gun' reason not to do this course, and so far no-one has found anything that is strong enough to say this course is a bad idea..

Try harder boys

ReputationRep:
    I am not dead set on this, but I want to meet other like-minded students who are also up for these courses...
    I just need a 'smoking-gun' reason not to do this course, and so far no-one has found anything that is strong enough to say this course is a bad idea..

Try harder boys
    At this point I don't think anyone here is arguing against it for your sake, but rather that of everyone else who will read this thread. In fact I dare say most of us would rather you kept your misinformed arrogance and learned the hard way. Hindsight is 20/20.

ReputationRep:
    No-one has reason to '**** off' a commercial course other than to point out gaps in logic and information on behalf of those praising it in order to protect the many gullible and desperate applicants who read the Medicine subforum on TSR who will not necessarily be experienced enough to work out what is what.

On the other hand, there are two reasons to doggedly defend a course - if you've decided you're going to do it and you don't want people to realise what might be wrong with it and judge you/your choices, or if you're being paid to do so.
    Come on mate, you have sent over 5000 posts, you practically live on here!...you seriously saying that your only motive is to help younger students?! lol Are you really the voice of medical admissions?
    You really think all students reading your posts are 'gullible and desperate'!

How much are they paying you? Maybe I should move over to your side and at least make something...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliciaBrown90)
    Come on mate, you have sent over 5000 posts, you practically live on here!...you seriously saying that your only motive is to help younger students?! lol Are you really the voice of medical admissions?
    You really think all students reading your posts are 'gullible and desperate'!

How much are they paying you? Maybe I should move over to your side and at least make something...!
    If you don't know how this site works, don't make stupid comments.

5000 posts since 2005? Not sure that's really indicative of me 'living' on here, now is it?

Edit: And to address your point, yes, my only motive is to help younger students. The same motive of most others who post in the university subforums a lot. Though admittedly wiping the floor with little whippersnappers displaying arrogance far beyond their experience can provide some degree of stress relief.

ReputationRep:
    At this point I don't think anyone here is arguing against it for your sake, but rather that of everyone else who will read this thread. In fact I dare say most of us would rather you kept your misinformed arrogance and learned the hard way. Hindsight is 20/20.
    Haha, and you think I am here to get you to drop out of what ure doing and consider applying with me? lol Who's the one with the misinformed arrogance now.

ReputationRep:
    Does no one else think it's strange that not one of the people who are in this thread saying how wonderful this course is has a post count higher than about 10?
    Maybe I'm just cynical from too many years on the internet but it looks like medipathways have just made loads of accounts to try and make their course look good.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, and you think I am here to get you to drop out of what ure doing and consider applying with me? lol Who's the one with the misinformed arrogance now.
    Where exactly have I suggested that's what I took away from your posts? I've already stated, repeatedly, that your misinformation can put other people in a bad situation. I am perfectly capable of making my own decisions, thanks. And since you seem to be way off the mark yet again - just so you know, my situation has absolutely no link to any of the routes into Medicine we've been talking about. I have, however, done my research into these routes in the recent past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnBoradfield)
    Im a AAB student who has not secured a place for the second time and I dont think you understand how frustrating it is not to get in. I think that you dont appreciate the fact that there are students such as myself who have had extreme difficulties at getting in and you are attacking the option I am taking this year. In 2 years I will have a degree that I can use for post graduate entrance and finally wipe the slate clean as I marginally missed on straight AAA's. So its getting me to were I want to get via post graduate entrance and it doesn't cost me 3 years but 2. I dont know if you are a medical student, agent, advisor, TSR or parent but you need to remember that this is perfect for students such as myself.
    It's not 'getting you where you want to get' if you don't get in via Grad Entry. You don't know whether that'll happen or not. If you don't, where will you be with that degree? What is your plan? Do you have any idea how your degree will place you when competing against others to carry out that plan? Or do you not even have a plan beyond that? This is my point. This course is for people who appear to have no realistic backup plan.

I think that if you are not going to give advice to everyone considering that there are more than 1 set of students (AAA"s) who didn't get into medical school, then you are being biased and being closed minded to the fact that we exist and have dreams of being medics one day.

I would appreciate open advice not just directed at AAA's.

REMEMBER WE EXIST

AAB'S
    Everything I said that wasn't about alternatives to the Pre-Med year applies to people with other grades. The Pre-Med year is only for those with AAA and that is the only reason AAA reapplicants were mentioned. I'm not quite sure how you missed that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    Does no one else think it's strange that not one of the people who are in this thread saying how wonderful this course is has a post count higher than about 10?
    Maybe I'm just cynical from too many years on the internet but it looks like medipathways have just made loads of accounts to try and make their course look good.
    I know, weird isn't it! I was thinking that TSR have bought in their 'Demigods' (lol) to make sure 'gullible & desperate' students are listening to them only and make TSR look good, rather than using their own common sense and calling up the Universities, as they should be.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.