Why do people think crisps are bad?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
yellowcopter
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
They're really not bad at all, 1 packet a day is perfectly fine for a healthy lifestyle.

Walkers Cheese & Onion has:

7.7g Fat
0.6g Saturates which is fair, not the best, but isn't that bad at all
6.0g monounsaturated good fat
1.0g polyunsaturated good fat

130 Calories
0.30g salt
0.7g sugar
Hopple
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Everything's fine if you just have a bit and do other healthy stuff. Jessica Ennis on her regime would still be healthier than most even if she had a cigarette, a beer, a burger and a packet of crisps a day.
benjamez
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Crisps aren't that bad, but they're not great either. Crisps are generally better than chips, and if you have them in smaller packet sizes it restricts how much you eat. The worst thing about crisps is the additives in the flavourings and some can have high salt levels. There are definitely more unhealthy foods you can eat.
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by yellowcopter)
They're really not bad at all, 1 packet a day is perfectly fine for a healthy lifestyle.

Walkers Cheese & Onion has:

7.7g Fat
0.6g Saturates which is fair, not the best, but isn't that bad at all
6.0g monounsaturated good fat
1.0g polyunsaturated good fat

130 Calories
0.30g salt
0.7g sugar
They are not 'bad' as such however, they're not brilliant. At the end of the day it's all about your goals when looking at what's good/bad to eat. I'm currently cutting at the moment and consuming a mere 2,000 calories a day. Considering I'm looking at eating about 190/200 grams of protein and a similar/if not less amount of carbohydrates then I don't really want to be consuming 1/20th of my calories on something which doesn't provide me with much nutrients. Granted I would much rather fit them crisps into my calories rather than binge on it and exceed my macros/calories however, I would benefit a lot more from snacking on some beef jerky or fruit. Once again it's all about your goals and incorporating treats into you diet.

Can you have a packet of crisps withoout hindering your progress, of course. However, one packet of crisps everyday would push my progress back because I simply don't have enough room for it (apart from refeed days).
Mark85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by benjamez)
The worst thing about crisps is the additives in the flavourings and some can have high salt levels. There are definitely more unhealthy foods you can eat.
Which additives specifically in crisps do you think are unhealthy to consume in the amount of, say, 1-2bags per day?

Saying that crisps have high salt levels is kind of ridiculous since this really depends on what you eat in the rest of your diet. It also depends on how much you sweat. I eat mostly unprocessed, fresh foods that are generally low in sodium. Therefore, especially on days where I will sweat a lot through running or training etc. I need to eat something that has a significant amount of salt in it. Typically, I just add table salt to my normal food but if I were to only rely on Walkers Cheese and Onion as in the OP - I would need to eat about 10 bags to get the sodium I need.

Very few foods are healthy or unhealthy. It is all about the context of your overall diet.

People seem to take statements that "Too much salt can be bad" or "Too much saturated fats are bad" or "Too many carbs are bad" and think that the correct logical inference is that they should have as little as possible of these things. This is because people are ******ed mother****ers.

I mean, think about it for one second. Let us take the most basic macronutrient of all: Water. Clearly, too much water is extremely detrimental to health. We all know the story of Leah Betts and then overdosing on water can lead to a swift and untimely death. Therefore, according to the logic of people as mentioned above - we should all strive to drink as little water as possible. We should all walk around dehydrated as hell with tongues like leather slippers until we drop dead of dehydration.

Healthy means getting amounts of all nutrients in an appropriate range. It is really as simple as that. If you take something that is an essential nutrient like salt; saying that salty foods are a priori unhealthy is as ******ed as saying water or vegetables are unhealthy.
iJess
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm reading this now whilst eating my 3rd packet of walkers cheese and onion today but then I had an eating disorder so think it's better for me to put on a little weight than to be underweight and back how I used to be. That's how I look at it
benjamez
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mark85)
Which additives specifically in crisps do you think are unhealthy to consume in the amount of, say, 1-2bags per day?

Saying that crisps have high salt levels is kind of ridiculous since this really depends on what you eat in the rest of your diet. It also depends on how much you sweat. I eat mostly unprocessed, fresh foods that are generally low in sodium. Therefore, especially on days where I will sweat a lot through running or training etc. I need to eat something that has a significant amount of salt in it. Typically, I just add table salt to my normal food but if I were to only rely on Walkers Cheese and Onion as in the OP - I would need to eat about 10 bags to get the sodium I need.

Very few foods are healthy or unhealthy. It is all about the context of your overall diet.

People seem to take statements that "Too much salt can be bad" or "Too much saturated fats are bad" or "Too many carbs are bad" and think that the correct logical inference is that they should have as little as possible of these things. This is because people are ******ed mother****ers.

I mean, think about it for one second. Let us take the most basic macronutrient of all: Water. Clearly, too much water is extremely detrimental to health. We all know the story of Leah Betts and then overdosing on water can lead to a swift and untimely death. Therefore, according to the logic of people as mentioned above - we should all strive to drink as little water as possible. We should all walk around dehydrated as hell with tongues like leather slippers until we drop dead of dehydration.

Healthy means getting amounts of all nutrients in an appropriate range. It is really as simple as that. If you take something that is an essential nutrient like salt; saying that salty foods are a priori unhealthy is as ******ed as saying water or vegetables are unhealthy.
You've spiraled off on your own point here. I never said crisps were unhealthy, I just said why they might considered to be. Considering most people these days don't exercise enough and eat a lot of salty foods, adding crisps to the mix will be unhealthy for them, even if the crisps themselves are not.
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They aren't bad but in my opinion it is simply empty calories.
Rybee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not the fat content that is bad with Walkers Cheese & Onion.

It's the fact they make your breath stink of **** and others have to put up with it.
Mark85
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by benjamez)
You've spiraled off on your own point here. I never said crisps were unhealthy, I just said why they might considered to be. Considering most people these days don't exercise enough and eat a lot of salty foods, adding crisps to the mix will be unhealthy for them, even if the crisps themselves are not.
I said that there is no point in talking about the nutrient content of one food that people eat as part of their diet and saying whether it is good or bad on those grounds. Neither is the appropriate answer IMO. Unless you take a food that really has more of one nutrient then you need in a day, then you can't really say it is bad for you.

So whilst you are being diplomatic and saying why people think they might be 'unhealthy' is because they contain roo much salt - I am saying that such people are ******ed, especially in light of the fact that the most popular brand of crisps has less than a twentieth of most people's daily salt requirement in it.
Hustler-1337
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rybee)
It's not the fat content that is bad with Walkers Cheese & Onion.

It's the fact they make your breath stink of **** and others have to put up with it.
sh*t flavoured crisps? What on earth...

Have a chewing gum after or rinse your mouth with some water.

As for the question, crisps eaten in moderation are fine, the odd one or two a week should be fine. Eating crisps daily however can be unhealthy as the fat/oil in the crisps all add up. Here's a link breaking down the nutrition of crisps and how it can affect you if you eat a packet a day for a year: http://www.realfitness.org/2011/07/how-bad-are-crisps/
Mark85
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hustler-1337)
Eating crisps daily however can be unhealthy as the fat/oil in the crisps all add up.
Rubbish.

Most adult men are recommended to have about 90g of fat a day including around 30g of saturated fats.

According to the information provided a bag of crisps has less than a tenth of the total fat and less than a thirtieth of the saturated fat. Depending on energy needs and what else you need, most people could easily fit a bag or three of walkers into their daily food intake quite healthily.

That website is ******ed since it assumes that you would eat crisps and all of the food you need for the day. If you just eat crisps as part of the food you need for the day like a normal person then you are fine.

What you are saying about all of the fat adding up is ******ed. Does this mean I shouldn't drink 3litres of water a day since it adds up to 21L over a week which is a potentially fatal amount?
Mullah.S
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
if you are doing this everyday, eating crisp, with you're numbers you posting

after 3.6 month you have doing drink one whole one of this

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/veg..._in_tesco.html

also, deep fried potato that is becoming hard from frying is cancerous
is becoming carcinogenic.
so you more being likely to getting cancer.

is not being worth doing the risk for me.
Mark85
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This 'logic' is ******ed. The same argument applies to

120 calories of carrots a day
120 calories of chicken a day
120 calories of cucumber a day
120 calories of any food a day.

BRB chucking out all of my veg since the portion of green beans I have most days is making me put nearly a stone a year of fat on my frame.

You only put on that fat if you consistently overeat by 120 calories a day. If you follow the 'logic' you used through, you would eat nothing since it all adds up to something over the year.

Any calorie dense, nutrient poor food isn't a good idea to be eating regularly (anything more than once a week). They raise your blood sugar like hell, too.

Eat an apple.
Crisps are about the same as apples on the insulin and glucose indices. You don't have a clue what you are talking about.

BRB a bit of starch and oil is sending my blood glucose rocketing.

The fact is that people like you automatically assume that things like crisps can't fit into a healthy diet and then having no logic or reasoning capacity try to back up their assumption with nonsensical rubbish that doesn't even make sense.
Mark85
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Let me make it simple. You said that crisps are bad because they are 120 calories and 120 excess calories per day leads to ~.8 stone weight gain per year.

The same logic applies to 120 calories of any food. Therefore that specific part of your argument is ******ED. Replace, crisps with 'apple' in that paragraph and it still makes sense.

Choosing two apples over a packet of crisps obviously leaves you better off. A calorie from fruit is essentially a "better" calorie than one from the carbohydrates in processed sugar and flour, saturated fats and salts, not only because the fruit contains a variety of nutrients, but also because the volume and fibre of fruit and vegetables will keep hunger at bay.
Apples are a poor example since they have minimal nutritional value. Mainly just sugar, water, vitamin C and a bit of fibre mostly in the peel.

In any case the main point is that whether you need the extra fibre or vitamin C or not depends on what you eat in the other 2300 calories you have a day. You need a certain amount of nutrients per day and then just a certain amount of energy. If you get all the nutrients you need from your food then it doesn't matter where they come from. Therefore, it makes no sense to say that crisps are healthier than an apple or not.

It is the diet as a whole that must be evaluated. If I need extra fat and salt on a given day, it is healthier for me to eat crisps than an apple since the former would be providing nutrients I need not present in the latter.

You can sit here and argue all you want. It's pretty obvious I'm right - whether I explained it in a way which you deem 'logical' or 'illogical' matters little to me.
You clearly don't have a clue. You get the facts wrong and you get logical argument wrong. You are basically the kind of ****** who propogates this type of tripe due to ignorance.

You aren't even able to debate your point since you lack the ability to comprehend the exact criticism and respond instead with generalities that aren't specific to the argument in hand.
tooosh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Did you actually look at the nutritional list in the OP? You're complaining about 0.6g of saturated fats?

Saturated fats are essential for testosterone production and some other things. The link between sat fats and heart disease has been in controversy for a long time.
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Aren't healthy for you at all? Strong statement. I would like to see how one fairs with zero saturated fat and salt in their diet. I'd guess a coma of some sort followed by onset of death.

You couldn't pry away butter from my dead hands. I loooove a knob of butter in beans, on toast, in cakes... butter butter butter!!
Bobs_06
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've been addicted to crisps, previously eating a large packet a day. However, the most compelling argument for me to stop having them is that they contain ACRYLAMIDE. This is a TOXIC CHEMICAL and a NERVE POISON that is formed when you heat in high temperatures carbohydrates. It is a known fact by scientists and health organisations, just not something advertised or known widely by consumers. The reason is that the crisps industry is huge in the UK compared to anywhere else in Europe and this knowledge would be so damaging to the millions in its consumer market.

So acrylamide is not that uncommon in other deep fried foods, but in crisps it's 100s of times higher than safe doses, so definitely cancerous.

Argument 2: Trans fats are formed again when you deep fry the fats in crisps. They are the worst thing to put in your stomach and almost impossible to digest.

Argument 3: tooth decay - crisps are one of the worst foods to eat, even worse than chocolate , as they stick to your teeth for hours so if you eat them, make sure you brush and especially floss.

Argument 4- type 2 diabetes. If you have a bag every day and then eat other insulin- spiking foods, (such as wheat based bread, doughnuts, muffins, sugar treats, pizza, cakes, etc.) then your diabetes risk is skyrocketing. Crisps are formed by starches which almost immediately are processed into sugars in the body. Potato in general has one of the highest GIs ever, for those who don't know- it raises your blood sugar the most compared to other foods. So you get your sugar high, then sugar low, and meanwhile you're overproducing insulin which eventually leads to insulin- resistance and finally type 2 diabetes.

Argument 5 - overstimulates areas of hunger in the brain. Hence you overeat in excess.

6. Damages unborn babies in the womb, can lead to delayed brain development, type 2 diabetes and heart desease.

So conclusion- most people look at the calories or fat and say- oh, they're not so bad for me! That's just the superficial stuff. Look at the hidden dangers. For me, 4 years of uni eating crisps and other unhealthy foods gave my flat stomach flab which I'm busting my ass off to lose now. It also gave me IBS and super sensitive stomach which now it's taken me years to heal. So if you eat crisps- my advice is get the small packet, avoid Pringles at any cost(voted the worst crisps in terms of content) and just have them couple of times a month as a treat.
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Strong bump

(Original post by Bobs_06)
I've been addicted to crisps, previously eating a large packet a day. However, the most compelling argument for me to stop having them is that they contain ACRYLAMIDE. This is a TOXIC CHEMICAL and a NERVE POISON that is formed when you heat in high temperatures carbohydrates. It is a known fact by scientists and health organisations, just not something advertised or known widely by consumers. The reason is that the crisps industry is huge in the UK compared to anywhere else in Europe and this knowledge would be so damaging to the millions in its consumer market.
It's not a nerve poison, it is toxic in high doses, but so is anything. The dose makes the poison

It is also not addictive

So acrylamide is not that uncommon in other deep fried foods, but in crisps it's 100s of times higher than safe doses, so definitely cancerous.
There is no human evidence that the doses of acrylamide found in crisps and other foods is a carcinogen. There is evidence in mice that acrylamide is, but that was at high doses and not necessarily in normal conditions

Argument 2: Trans fats are formed again when you deep fry the fats in crisps. They are the worst thing to put in your stomach and almost impossible to digest.
Please provide actual papers on this.

Fun fact - you've written nonsense, it is digestable; high amounts aren't good for you, that said, however as a small part in a decent diet and they're not a problem

Argument 3: tooth decay - crisps are one of the worst foods to eat, even worse than chocolate , as they stick to your teeth for hours so if you eat them, make sure you brush and especially floss.
Please provide actual proof

Again thats a fallacy, any processed sugar in excess is bad for your teeth.

Argument 4- type 2 diabetes. If you have a bag every day and then eat other insulin- spiking foods, (such as wheat based bread, doughnuts, muffins, sugar treats, pizza, cakes, etc.) then your diabetes risk is skyrocketing. Crisps are formed by starches which almost immediately are processed into sugars in the body. Potato in general has one of the highest GIs ever, for those who don't know- it raises your blood sugar the most compared to other foods. So you get your sugar high, then sugar low, and meanwhile you're overproducing insulin which eventually leads to insulin- resistance and finally type 2 diabetes.
Insulin spiking and ill health are not correlated in any human studies. Potatoes have low GIs; it's in a processed form that they can have high GI.

There however is no evidence that low GI foods are any better than bad

Examples of high GI foods - fresh fruit

Examples of low GI food - pizza and anything high in fat

Fat people get type 2 diabetes

Argument 5 - overstimulates areas of hunger in the brain. Hence you overeat in excess.
6. Damages unborn babies in the womb, can lead to delayed brain development, type 2 diabetes and heart desease.
Crisps don't come hunting in the blood stream for babies. Please provide proof of this - you've just invented this nonsence

So conclusion- most people look at the calories or fat and say- oh, they're not so bad for me! That's just the superficial stuff. Look at the hidden dangers. For me, 4 years of uni eating crisps and other unhealthy foods gave my flat stomach flab which I'm busting my ass off to lose now. It also gave me IBS and super sensitive stomach which now it's taken me years to heal. So if you eat crisps- my advice is get the small packet, avoid Pringles at any cost(voted the worst crisps in terms of content) and just have them couple of times a month as a treat.
If you have true IBS, it probably wasn't your diet, although high fat foods aren't going to help your symptoms.

You're slandering pringles for no good reason; "voted" c'mon science please.

You're not fat because you were addicted to crisps, you were fat as you ate too much for the amount you moved

Now put your tin foil hat away
Adam19851
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Crisps are not bad as long as you eat them after a proper food,They cant replace a proper food.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (431)
56.64%
I don't have everything I need (330)
43.36%

Watched Threads