Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Does subjectivity piss you off? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Everything is subjective, granted.

But it seems due to this everybody thinks all must acknowledge, heed, or care about their opinions.

Is subjectivity to some extent overrated?
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree that everything is subjective; there appear to be objective facts about the world, for example that 1 = 1, or that in some sense we exist.

If we're talking about morality, then I think people often believe that morality is subjective too eagerly and on the back of unsound reasoning, for example by failing to recognise the distinction between moral intuition and morality itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I don't agree that everything is subjective; there appear to be objective facts about the world, for example that 1 = 1, or that in some sense we exist.
    Everything is subjective by virtue of all things being subjectively perceived.
    If we're talking about morality, then I think people often believe that morality is subjective too eagerly and on the back of unsound reasoning, for example by failing to recognise the distinction between moral intuition and morality itself.
    Morals don't exist. And?
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by assured)
    Everything is subjective by virtue of all things being subjectively perceived.
    And if an objective truth existed, how would we perceive it?

Morals don't exist. And?
    Don't they?

ReputationRep:
    All persons view objective phenomenon subjectively.

And what are morals? Anything goes in life.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    All persons view objective phenomenon subjectively.
    If this is true, then it implies the existence of objective phenomena.

And what are morals? Anything goes in life.
    Morals are the criteria for determining whether a given action is right or wrong. You might be right that 'anything goes', but it is not necessarily the case that 'anything that goes is right'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    If this is true, then it implies the existence of objective phenomena.
    All phenomena are subject to an individual. Why is this patent fact so difficult to absorb?

Morals are the criteria for determining whether a given action is right or wrong. You might be right that 'anything goes', but it is not necessarily the case that 'anything that goes is right'.
    "Anything goes" is the default and only viable position.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    All phenomena are subject to an individual. Why is this patent fact so difficult to absorb?
    I have not denied it, but you are making the claim that all that exists exists subjectively, which it does not appear to (merely objective phenomena are observed by a subject).

"Anything goes" is the default and only viable position.
    I am not sure I agree that 'anything goes' is the only viable position, in fact I think a society that governed itself by such a rule would be quite inviable.

ReputationRep:
    Not viable according to whom? Is your own opinion the absolute benchmark of reason?

ReputationRep:
    I see you're getting in as many threads as you can before your inevitable ban. What's this, account number 10?
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Not viable according to whom? Is your own opinion the absolute benchmark of reason?
    And here I thought you were soliciting people's opinions because you wanted them, rather than so you could accuse them of believing them to be 'benchmark of reason'.

ReputationRep:
    You like to state your opinions as facts. I'm not frankly here to read some person's life treatise.

ReputationRep:

But it seems due to this everybody thinks all must acknowledge, heed, or care about their opinions.

It really does depend on the subject. But usually no because I think it is always good to know other people's opinions even if you don't agree with them because it helps you develop your own beliefs and values

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polkadot2)
    It really does depend on the subject. But usually no because I think it is always good to know other people's opinions even if you don't agree with them because it helps you develop your own beliefs and values
    A person develops his or her own values by themselves. Others' beliefs are not absolutely required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    x
    :rofl: look, this thread has been made for us :mmm:

ReputationRep:

Yes, subjective opinions are often given far to high credibility (e.g. climate change skeptics, creationists) even when their opinion goes against the objective facts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjm600)
    Yes, subjective opinions are often given far to high credibility (e.g. climate change skeptics, creationists) even when their opinion goes against the objective facts.
    That's not the point.

In common society, people expect that others must take note of what they think merely since they hold a "right" to an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Four Queue)
    I see you're getting in as many threads as you can before your inevitable ban. What's this, account number 10?
    As soon as he ended a sentence with "And?" I said to myself oh look, it's this guy again :facepalm2:

OP do you seriously have nothing better to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desdemonata)
    As soon as he ended a sentence with "And?" I said to myself oh look, it's this guy again :facepalm2:

OP do you seriously have nothing better to do?
    So idiosyncrasies are evil? Are you autistic and don't get how human beings are structured?

ReputationRep:
    So idiosyncrasies are evil? Are you autistic and don't get how human beings are structured?
    You use these words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.

So creating multiple accounts and the same damn thread over and over again is an idiosyncrasy, is it, rather than insanity, where you do the same thing but expecting different results?

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.