Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Does anyone agree in saying that ALPS should be of less influence at A-level? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So yet another depressing day for my academic route, apparently I'm not allowed to retake/remark/request my paper back due to my ALPS being at a C grade.
    If you don't know what ALPS is, it is basically a prediction/target based off your gcses and I believe your induction tests in sixth form. At GCSE the vast majority of grades I got were B's and C's, at A-level in January I got A(Maths) B(Economics)C(History), my economics teacher is happy for me to resit even though my ALPS was a C, for history a lot of my year group got C's, and what I find really disturbing is there ''enthusiasm'' to spam remarks/resits/requests of the exam paper back for A grade ALPS students who got C, but a C grade ALPS student who got a C is just denied all of this?

I think ALPS caters waay too much to those who are good at gcse, a-levels should not be based off gcse's but unfortunately my case is one of the very ''special cases'' that ALPS does not take into account, and my teacher blindly follows it and it just frustrates me so much when A grade students are constantly pushed whilst they say to me ''you got a C, thats your ALPS, we can't help you''

I've said it for everything my ALPS has affected everything, I had to self-study a fourth a-level because my ALPS/GCSEs, I got less attention because of my ALPS/GCSEs and now I'm denied access to resits in the summer.

Does anyone agree that ALPS are not a clear measure of a-level success?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    So yet another depressing day for my academic route, apparently I'm not allowed to retake/remark/request my paper back due to my ALPS being at a C grade.
    If you don't know what ALPS is, it is basically a prediction/target based off your gcses and I believe your induction tests in sixth form. At GCSE the vast majority of grades I got were B's and C's, at A-level in January I got A(Maths) B(Economics)C(History), my economics teacher is happy for me to resit even though my ALPS was a C, for history a lot of my year group got C's, and what I find really disturbing is there ''enthusiasm'' to spam remarks/resits/requests of the exam paper back for A grade ALPS students who got C, but a C grade ALPS student who got a C is just denied all of this?

I think ALPS caters waay too much to those who are good at gcse, a-levels should not be based off gcse's but unfortunately my case is one of the very ''special cases'' that ALPS does not take into account, and my teacher blindly follows it and it just frustrates me so much when A grade students are constantly pushed whilst they say to me ''you got a C, thats your ALPS, we can't help you''

I've said it for everything my ALPS has affected everything, I had to self-study a fourth a-level because my ALPS/GCSEs, I got less attention because of my ALPS/GCSEs and now I'm denied access to resits in the summer.

Does anyone agree that ALPS are not a clear measure of a-level success?
    Just enter yourself in for exams they can't stop you, it's your qualification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Just enter yourself in for exams they can't stop you, it's your qualification.
    Yeah its true but then I have to pay my way through education whilst A/A* -grade GCSE students get all the wholehearted support... and it just feels I'm picking up all the pieces every time, every single month my teachers say you can't do that, because of your GCSEs, for any matter at all.

ReputationRep:
    We have ALIS at my school, they predicted me B/Cs when I need A's for uni? xD Surely telling your teacher that you need a higher grade to get into uni would make them change their mind (even if that's not the case, just lie )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LRJ)
    We have ALIS at my school, they predicted me B/Cs when I need A's for uni? xD Surely telling your teacher that you need a higher grade to get into uni would make them change their mind (even if that's not the case, just lie )
    Surely A2 predictions are based on how you done at AS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Surely A2 predictions are based on how you done at AS?
    They're not for me :s
    They were set in stone from the start of year 12:

ALIS .....13... 12.. What I got in year 12
    Maths - ...B.... C...........B
    Geog - ....B.... B/C .......A
    Chem - ...B/C..C/D ........A
    Business - B ...B ..........A

It's not a great system, I tend to ignore them and make my own predictions it's more motivating

What are predictions like at your school?

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.