Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    HELLO.

I am looking to apply for accommodation atm. But theres the big debate on catered/selfcatered & sharedbathroom/ensuite.

Which would you choose and why??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Catered and ensuite.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'm in catered halls, in a single study with shared bathroom. Basically, I was happy to pay a bit extra for someone else to cook (and clean!) especially for the first year when I'm still settling in to uni life. I'm perfectly happy with the arrangement, I share a loo and shower with 3 other people and I've got a sink in my room for face washing and everything. If you're worried about privacy, getting an ensuite room would be a bit more private, but as long as you're OK with popping down the corridor in your dressing gown then that's not a problem Food-wise, don't expect haute cuisine in catered halls, but certainly here at Nottingham it's reasonably nutritious and there's lots of variety.
    Having said all that, I've got lots of friends from self-catered accommodation who are having just as much fun, you just have to plan your meals and everything, and it can be substantially cheaper.
    Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind catering for myself as i doubt the food will be any good but i'd strongly go for an ensuite. The thought of sharing shower/toilet with more than 1 person makes me ill just thinking about it and i've heard many horror stories.

ReputationRep:
    Im thinking of going catered. The big decision is shared bathroom or ensuite I really cant decide! I would hate to share with unclean people!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hart1995)
    Im thinking of going catered. The big decision is shared bathroom or ensuite I really cant decide! I would hate to share with unclean people!
    I'd go ensuite then. There's no guarantee you won't end up sharing with some really grim person who leaves the bathroom in a state... I'm lucky, my corridor-mates are all pretty hygienic!
    EDIT - that said, our bathroom is cleaned daily. It'd be worth checking your chosen halls' cleaning schedule with regards to this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex193)
    I'd go ensuite then. There's no guarantee you won't end up sharing with some really grim person who leaves the bathroom in a state... I'm lucky, my corridor-mates are all pretty hygienic!
    EDIT - that said, our bathroom is cleaned daily. It'd be worth checking your chosen halls' cleaning schedule with regards to this
    That is a good idea haha, I hope its easy to find!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Self catered because we're all going to have to cook for ourselves eventually and might as well start now - it's cheaper, too. But I really hate the idea of sharing bathrooms with strangers after reading nightmarish threads on TSR (at least for second year and later you choose the people you live with so it's not as bad) and I'm a bit of a clean freak so I'm going ensuite if all goes to plan.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at going en-suite and self-catered. I'd hate it if anyone was unclean or anything!

ReputationRep:
    It guess it would be nice to not have to go from bathroom to your room in a towell haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would say en-suite and I'm quite happy to be self catered

ReputationRep:
    Self catered, because I can cook quite well and not eating meat would rather restrict my options in catered halls.

Shared bathroom because despite having some fairly feral flatmates in first year our bathrooms were always pretty clean, and it's just not worth paying the extra £30pw that my uni charges for an en suite (that's enough for food all week and a cheap night out!)

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.