The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hamijack
Lol, these guys are Australian mate.

Happens in the UK as well bro.
Reply 21
Original post by uktotalgamer
Happens in the UK as well bro.

Thats why need more men like the guy in the video.
Reply 22
Original post by Damask-
How is that 'slutty?' I agree that they were out of control and should have been thrown out and it's completely unacceptable to act like that in public places, but it has nothing to do with the idea that a woman's self worth should be based solely on the amount of sex she has, or in this case how she dresses. (Which is also, like, really gross and misogynistic. :rolleyes:)

If the genders had been reversed, it wouldn't have been a girl saying to a load of drunken guys "Stop acting like players," it would have been "Stop acting like idiots."

"Players" and "idiots" are interchangeable.
Funny how girls act stupidly in public and they get called sluts (youtube comments saying they should be punched and raped, wtf?), yet a bunch of idiotic boys can do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5AYYjd7s64 and everyone says how hilarious it is??
That guy committed an assault by grabbing her, and could have been arrested. They were behaving stupidly, and definately should have been kicked out, but he didn't do the right thing here. He instead just behaved like a complete moron.
(edited 11 years ago)
i fail to see how they were acting like "sluts"

"oh these girls are being drunk and disorderly and just being general idiots..why dont i belittle them and judge their worth on a random assumption about how much sex they have rather than their actual shitty behaviour" ¬.¬
He also committed an assault by touching them. Personally i think he just escalated the problem and didnt really help at all, everyone knows there's little point in arguing with drunk people.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by uktotalgamer
This is British Culture now. It's not acceptable as a culture, but you have to accept it, because this is what it is. Look at all the pictures of Chav's you see. That is culture now. A shoddy excuse for it mind.

I thought they were Aussies? :confused:
Original post by Care-Free
i fail to see how they were acting like "sluts" "oh these girls are being drunk and disorderly and just being general idiots..why dont i belittle them and judge their worth on a random assumption about how much sex they have rather than their actual shitty behaviour" ¬.¬

Original post by Damask-
How is that 'slutty?' I agree that they were out of control and should have been thrown out and it's completely unacceptable to act like that in public places, but it has nothing to do with the idea that a woman's self worth should be based solely on the amount of sex she has, or in this case how she dresses. (Which is also, like, really gross and misogynistic. :rolleyes:)

If the genders had been reversed, it wouldn't have been a girl saying to a load of drunken guys "Stop acting like players," it would have been "Stop acting like idiots."

It's an epithet aimed at women sure. But whether you agree with the usage of the term or not, the rationale is that they were mounting the counter and sliding themselves toward the staff wearing very little and whilst clearly drunk and disorderly. I think she actually got off lightly for being a female, if it were a drunk man making a similar advance towards an innocent female shop-worker, I can almost guarantee he'd have his arse handed to him within minutes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by redpanda41
Funny how girls act stupidly in public and they get called sluts (youtube comments saying they should be punched and raped, wtf?), yet a bunch of idiotic boys can do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5AYYjd7s64 and everyone says how hilarious it is??

It isn't a double standard but nice try though. You cannot compare a very funny and kinda idiotic thing a group of guys do (your video) with an idiotic and unfunny thing a group of girls do (OPs video) and yell double standards. If the girls in the OPs video kicked the guy in the balls and had him doubled over, people would've found it funny.

Also, in the video you linked, if girls were doing it, it'd still be funny.

1. They're not semi naked and making drunken advances towards innocent members of the opposite sex.

2. The first comment on the video calls them out for being "a bunch of fuckers" with 30 upvotes.
Original post by Care-Free
He also committed an assault by touching them. Personally i think he just escalated the problem and didnt really help at all, everyone knows there's little point in arguing with drunk people.

Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
That guy committed an assault by grabbing her, and could have been arrested. They were behaving stupidly, and definately should have been kicked out, but he didn't do the right thing here. He instead just behaved like a complete moron.

Disagree. These girls should not be treated any differently to anyone else. They're mounting the counters, making advances toward the staff, are drunk and disorderly as well as damaging the property by throwing their food all over the place. Let's be clear about this: they're breaking the law.

If a black man were to enter an establishment and acted similarly - perhaps by throwing glasses on the floor or mounting the counter, he would most likely be apprehended pretty quickly. And you know what - it would be right for people to subdue him (and in the process, make physical contact). He clearly hasn't harmed them, nor is he doing what he is with the intention of harming them.

The notion that these people deserve special treatment for no reason other than because they're female (and probably because they're white too) is an abhorrent double standard.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ice Constricter
It isn't a double standard but nice try though. You cannot compare a very funny and kinda idiotic thing a group of guys do (your video) with an idiotic and unfunny thing a group of girls do (OPs video) and yell double standards. If the girls in the OPs video kicked the guy in the balls and had him doubled over, people would've found it funny.

Also, in the video you linked, if girls were doing it, it'd still be funny.

If girls did what those boys did there would be about a gazillion articles in the Daily Mail by now bemoaning the state of todays womenfolk. Also men act like prats all the time on nights out and you never get the kind of moral outrage when women act a little rowdy - because when boys do something utterly idiotic they're just being 'lads', when girls do it they're bitches or sluts (has 'slut' just become a general insult now?). Women are judged far more harshly for stupid behaviour than men, generally.
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Disagree. These girls should not be treated any differently to anyone else. They're mounting the counters, making advances toward the staff, are drunk and disorderly as well as damaging the property by throwing their food all over the place. Let's be clear about this: they're breaking the law.

If a black man were to enter an establishment and acted similarly - perhaps by throwing glasses on the floor or mounting the counter, he would most likely be apprehended pretty quickly. And you know what - it would be right for people to subdue him (and in the process, make physical contact). He clearly hasn't harmed them, nor is he doing what he is with the intention of harming them.

The notion that these people deserve special treatment for no reason other than because they're female (and probably because they're white too) is an abhorrent double standard.

When exactly did I say that they should be treated differently? Are you kidding? Don't dare put words in my mouth pertaining to the effect that I'm a racist or a sexist. I'm neither.

Neither girl was behaving violently or aggressively. They were behaving idiotically. The man had absolutely no right, either legally or in my opinion, morally, to lay a finger on them. If they had been behaving aggressively, that would have been fair. But they weren't. That's just assault.

The staff members should have told them to leave, and if they had refused, called the police. It's not for a random civilian who clearly fancies himself a bit of a hero to commit a crime.

You don't need to physically harm someone for it to be an assault, as frightening someone or cutting their hair can be classed as an assault.
1. They're not semi naked and making drunken advances towards innocent members of the opposite sex.

2. The first comment on the video calls them out for being "a bunch of fuckers" with 30 upvotes.

1) No, they're acting like utterly idiotic, spoilt little *****, damaging property, making shop workers lives even harder than usual, getting milk on innocent people's clothes, wasting everybody's time. And even worse, doing it multiple times and specifically to get 'Youtube famous'. At least the women have the small excuse of being incredibly drunk (not that you should ever behave in that manner; but it's not exactly a rare occurence for drunk people to act like idiots, is it?)

2)It has over 400 likes to just over 100 dislikes, plus loads of people saying how funny it is and how everyone should just 'lighten up', cos hey, who cares what the consequences of someone's actions are as long as you find it funny, right?
How were they being "slutty"? They were being drunk and very irritating yes but the man didn't do anything to sort out the situation, he was just needlessly aggressive and it didn't achieve anything. The girls didn't give a shit, he just escalated the situation. Everyone involved acted like children.
When exactly did I say that they should be treated differently? Are you kidding? Don't dare put words in my mouth pertaining to the effect that I'm a racist or a sexist. I'm neither.

Neither girl was behaving violently or aggressively. They were behaving idiotically. The man had absolutely no right, either legally or in my opinion, morally, to lay a finger on them. If they had been behaving aggressively, that would have been fair. But they weren't. That's just assault.

The staff members should have told them to leave, and if they had refused, called the police. It's not for a random civilian who clearly fancies himself a bit of a hero to commit a crime.

You don't need to physically harm someone for it to be an assault, as frightening someone or cutting their hair can be classed as an assault.

I disagree. It is complete, categorically, point blank unacceptable to drunkenly mount a counter that divides you and the staff and start sliding towards the innocent staff member whilst exposing yourself to him/her. It is dangerous to have drunk people in an establishment throwing their food and rubbish all over the place.

If an a 40+ black man were to drunkenly mount a counter, and make advances toward an innocent female member of staff whilst exposing his scrotum through his shorts - would you find that acceptable? Quite frankly, the notion that its one standard for some people, but for white, semi-attractive 20-something females, you are free to commit crimes without being touched is disgraceful.
1) No, they're acting like utterly idiotic, spoilt little *****, damaging property, making shop workers lives even harder than usual, getting milk on innocent people's clothes, wasting everybody's time. And even worse, doing it multiple times and specifically to get 'Youtube famous'. At least the women have the small excuse of being incredibly drunk (not that you should ever behave in that manner; but it's not exactly a rare occurence for drunk people to act like idiots, is it?)

I agree, they're massive wankers. But to respond to your initial sentiments, they're clearly not doing anything in a sexual manner. The two examples are not comparable.

2)It has over 400 likes to just over 100 dislikes, plus loads of people saying how funny it is and how everyone should just 'lighten up', cos hey, who cares what the consequences of someone's actions are as long as you find it funny, right?

Clearly, YouTube stats aren't exactly a good way of providing indications for public acceptance. I'd hazard a guess that if you show the average layman both clips, they'd find both unacceptable.

You will always find a bunch of idiots on the internet appreciating another bunch of idiots. It's not exactly a good enough indicator to legitimise the statement that 'this stuff is considered acceptable'.
(edited 11 years ago)
The only proper way to describe this angry man, doesnt get through TRS swearing filter,,,,, "what a behind/bottem hole"
I disagree. It is complete, categorically, point blank unacceptable to drunkenly mount a counter that divides you and the staff and start sliding towards the innocent staff member whilst exposing yourself to him/her. It is dangerous to have drunk people in an establishment throwing their food and rubbish all over the place.

If an a 40+ black man were to drunkenly mount a counter, and make advances toward an innocent female member of staff whilst exposing his scrotum through his shorts - would you find that acceptable? Quite frankly, the notion that its one standard for some people, but for white, semi-attractive 20-something females, you are free to commit crimes without being touched is disgraceful.

Why you're dragging race into this is beyond me, quite frankly.

You can disagree all you like, but the law is that he committed assault. Tough titty said the kitty.

The staff were entitled to call the police. If they don't have the guts to do that, civilians do not have the right to break the law.

Of course I would not not find that acceptable. I also do not find this acceptable. But I would not cheer on anyone who assaulted this hypothetical black man. I'd still say that they had committed an assault.
Why you're dragging race into this is beyond me, quite frankly.

Because you're laying down a standard for what is and isn't acceptable when I can be almost certain that you wouldn't have the same expectations for a 'person of colour'. It's your notion that "they can't possibly be dangerous because look at them! they're female, they're no threat" that is suspect here and the same paradigm carries over into race.

You can disagree all you like, but the law is that he committed assault. Tough titty said the kitty.

Do tell me which subsection of common assault this comes under? I'm not going to accept answer other than one that links to a law which accepts your claim that this man assaults them. Until then, your statement isn't true.

The staff were entitled to call the police. If they don't have the guts to do that, civilians do not have the right to break the law.

Civilians have a right to protect themselves and have every right to protect the sanctity of a public area. Being drunk and disorderly is not an acceptable crime to commit in a public area and people have every right to take reasonable measures to ensure their safety.

Of course I would not not find that acceptable. I also do not find this acceptable. But I would not cheer on anyone who assaulted this hypothetical black man. I'd still say that they had committed an assault.

Except simply touching someone who is committing a crime in a given establishment isn't assault. I'm waiting for your evidence.

Latest

Trending

Trending