The Student Room Group

Advanced higher Spanish and French

I'm currently choosing my subjects for S6 and I'm unsure what to choose for my 4th subject. I'm going to take advanced higher spanish, higher business, Italian (maybe) since its gonna be a more informal class with no exam and I was thinking of taking advanced higher french? I want to do international business with languages in Uni and I'm already doing higher french. I got a B in my prelim but I prefer Spanish and seem to be better at it. Is it too much to do two language advanced highers when Uni's only look for highers anyway or does it give you a better chance of getting in if you have advanced highers? This is assuming i wont need to resit any highers. Please help :smile:
Heeyaaa

I am not sure about Spanish at all, as I have not learned it yet! However, I am an Advanced Higher French student (almost done!). But yes, if you get into advanced higher languages you're in for a lot of work! Firstly, you will be looking at more mature themes, such as the family (in-depth - civil marriage, divorce, role of women) and the environment, as examples. Also you will be reading 2 pieces of French literature and writing folio pieces on them both in English and in French, and speaking about them in your oral exam. Having a B at least in Higher is a definite, because yes it is a difficult course and if you are finding any grammar/learning vocab difficult right now then you are expected to do them in Adv. H! Also, the difficulty you have will depend on the amount of classes a week you get of it, as I have only received 2 classes a week of French, meaning that I have had to work a lot on my own and also come in after school for extra learning. However, Advanced Highers in whatever you are wishing to pursue in university are definitely worthwhile, as they allow you to get a taster of the sort of difficulty of work you may receive, and also allow you to try independent learning a bit more. To be honest, I think in the case of languages that yes, taking Advanced Highers in the languages may actually improve your likelihood of getting in, maybe not in other subjects' cases, but languages yes, because it would mean that you enter uni with a lot better knowledge and understanding of the languages, and also the fact that you have wished to pursue them into a more difficult, and not entirely necessary level shows your dedication!

I do two advanced highers at the moment - french and history. The only thing I will say is you may have to really watch your time management with homework, as although I do not get a lot of homework for French, History I constantly get essays. So that may be the case only with history, but I suppose it depends on your teachers and how often they feel like dishing out homework.

Hopefully that may have slightly given you some food for thought, but if you want to know any more I'd be glad to help :biggrin: Good luck!
Hi,
I'm in S6 now (only 3 weeks left!) and I study AH French and Spanish. For French I have only 2 days with teaching and Spanish is an online course so there's no teacher. I would say it is definitely a lot harder than higher but definitely not impossible and if you really like the subject it helps.
and if you can cope with doing French and Spanish right now then it's not too much harder, only when there's clashing deadlines for big things but really it's manageable and enjoyable and I'd recommend you do them both!
Reply 3
Original post by hattiemcbinky
Heeyaaa

I am not sure about Spanish at all, as I have not learned it yet! However, I am an Advanced Higher French student (almost done!). But yes, if you get into advanced higher languages you're in for a lot of work! Firstly, you will be looking at more mature themes, such as the family (in-depth - civil marriage, divorce, role of women) and the environment, as examples. Also you will be reading 2 pieces of French literature and writing folio pieces on them both in English and in French, and speaking about them in your oral exam. Having a B at least in Higher is a definite, because yes it is a difficult course and if you are finding any grammar/learning vocab difficult right now then you are expected to do them in Adv. H! Also, the difficulty you have will depend on the amount of classes a week you get of it, as I have only received 2 classes a week of French, meaning that I have had to work a lot on my own and also come in after school for extra learning. However, Advanced Highers in whatever you are wishing to pursue in university are definitely worthwhile, as they allow you to get a taster of the sort of difficulty of work you may receive, and also allow you to try independent learning a bit more. To be honest, I think in the case of languages that yes, taking Advanced Highers in the languages may actually improve your likelihood of getting in, maybe not in other subjects' cases, but languages yes, because it would mean that you enter uni with a lot better knowledge and understanding of the languages, and also the fact that you have wished to pursue them into a more difficult, and not entirely necessary level shows your dedication!

I do two advanced highers at the moment - french and history. The only thing I will say is you may have to really watch your time management with homework, as although I do not get a lot of homework for French, History I constantly get essays. So that may be the case only with history, but I suppose it depends on your teachers and how often they feel like dishing out homework.

Hopefully that may have slightly given you some food for thought, but if you want to know any more I'd be glad to help :biggrin: Good luck!

Thank you so much for your advice! I have picked both for S6, hopefully I get good enough marks to go through with them :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by JasmaineVaughan
Hi,
I'm in S6 now (only 3 weeks left!) and I study AH French and Spanish. For French I have only 2 days with teaching and Spanish is an online course so there's no teacher. I would say it is definitely a lot harder than higher but definitely not impossible and if you really like the subject it helps.
and if you can cope with doing French and Spanish right now then it's not too much harder, only when there's clashing deadlines for big things but really it's manageable and enjoyable and I'd recommend you do them both!

Thank you for the advice! Usually I managed to cope with both but I just done my Spanish speaking on Friday which my teacher was really pleased with but I have my French one on Wednesday and I'm really struggling to remember half of my questions :/ I've chosen both and I'll give them a shot in S6, I think I'll drop French if I can't cope!
Original post by Saaaaam
Thank you so much for your advice! I have picked both for S6, hopefully I get good enough marks to go through with them :smile:

All the very best! It's always good to see fellow language-lovers ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending