Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Words/ phrases that annoy you Watch

ReputationRep:
    WHAT words/phrases can't you stand because they sound horrible or make you shiver !

I don't like slang words mainly because I don't know what they mean nor understand the person saying them!

I don't like the phrase 'omnomnom' when people post pictures of their food on FB/ Twitter? WHY?

MY sister can't the stand the word 'bivvy'

So what about you, which words don't you like and WHY?

ReputationRep:
    Haters, hating on things, swag, have got something, your/you're, fairs.

Rage inducing.

ReputationRep:
    Swag/swaggy.

What is this I don't even. I blame Bieber for the proliferation of this word.

And what is reem? I'm seeing it everywhere and nobody can tell me what it actually means. Who invented this word? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    'What do?' for 'what shall we/I do?'

My friend's boyfriend says it and she started to as well, pisses me off to no end.

ReputationRep:
    anyone who says "epic win/epic winning" or "cool beans" and anyone who uses "xD", "xP" in chats.

ReputationRep:
    This is an old one, but people are STILL doing it

using the term "Then" when the proper term is "Than"

ie "I like coffee more then tea"

GRRR so annoying :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Vulgar terminology for classifying someone as beautiful these days. :grumble:

ReputationRep:
    YOLO :mad:

ReputationRep:
    'my bad'

ReputationRep:
    whennnnnn peopleeeee addddd extraaaa unnecessaryyyyyy letterssssss forrr noooooo reasonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.a.u)
    YOLO :mad:
    #YOLO #SWAG

"Who needs grades when you got swag" - AQA parody on twitter

had me in tears

ReputationRep:
    'Wagone'/'wag1' and 'scran'. Wouldn't call the former a word, but that's Manchester for you. :ashamed2:

ReputationRep:
    It's annoying when people use the word 'awesome' to describe everything

ReputationRep:
    People with the intelligence of a potato who say "u mad bro?"

ReputationRep:
    'Lad' and 'banter', when used as excuses for acting like an idiot/being insulting.

ReputationRep:
    I'll just make a list of all the words I heard growing up in East London on a daily basis. I'm embarrassed to admit, yes, at times I did use some of these phrases
    :zomg: thankfully, never again!! Ever!! And I've managed to change my accent so I sound well spoken, thankfully. You wouldn't be able to guess I'm from Hackney originally.

These are all the phrases I can't stand:

Oi, bruv, is it doe, you get me, blud, mandem, goonz, bare, peng, buff, peng a ling, chung, lipz, sket, ****, sweetmate, da endz, leng, gyaldem, yardies, bredrin, hench, sick, dench, skeen, bumberclart, ting, free yard, fam, bun etc. Ergh I'm so happy I don't live in Hackney anymore! I'm sorry but Jafaican is never a nice or attractive accent.

Other phrases that annoy me slightly, is over use of the word 'epic', once is fine, but if someone says, 'But like yah, that was like, so epic, so I was like yah, and then it was just epic how epic we where in our epicness.' it's like their just saying the word epic, just for the sake of saying it, that's a bit annoying tbh. As is the overuse of the word like, eg 'he was like, oh my god, and I was like, really? Because that is like so not cool or epic, like do you know what I mean?!'
    Oh and when Americans use the word 'rad' that is annoying, even more annoying when a brit tries to use it, eg 'so I went to the pub down at uni the other day. It was totally rad.' The words reem and wel jel also irratate me.

And YOLO!! That is soooo annoying. People who repeat 'At the end of the day though' also make me cringe a bit. Oh and when girls say 'he's well fit!' or call each other ****s. Oh and when people say hashtag amazeballs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polkadot2)
    WHAT words/phrases can't you stand because they sound horrible or make you shiver !

I don't like slang words mainly because I don't know what they mean nor understand the person saying them!

I don't like the phrase 'omnomnom' when people post pictures of their food on FB/ Twitter? WHY?

MY sister can't the stand the word 'bivvy'

So what about you, which words don't you like and WHY?
    'Allow / allow that' , 'Sick' , 'Safe', 'Sound' and hearing people say 'lol'. I don't know why these things get my nerves but they do.

ReputationRep:
    WhEnZ Ppl TalK LiKe DIs

ReputationRep:
    Amazeballs and lush, I shudder when people say them. Ugh, I feel bad for writing them!

ReputationRep:
    "Who are you to judge?"

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.