Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Words/ phrases that annoy you Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madam, I'm Adam)
    People who describe themselves as 'A bit OCD' when they are just average levels of clean and tidy. Gets right up my nose. Also 'amazeballs' should be banned.
    So true about the OCD thing! It's the same as when people describe things as 'depressing'.

ReputationRep:
    There are so many in this thread I agree with so strongly.

The incorrect use of the word literally is one of my particular pet peeves, as is 'banter'.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when people write how're, e.g. how're you?
    It makes absolutely no sense!

ReputationRep:
    Peng.
    Hench
    Reem

-_-

I don't mind most other things actually, everything else I can laugh at. Not those.

I hate the phrase "bone idle" as well. My mum used to say it in her scariest voice when she thought we were being lazy, probably why I dislike it so much.

Wait, how could I forget? My pet hate in terms of slang words is by far the trend where pretty much everyone I knew was like "Aw, it's gonna be moist!" Moist. NO. YOU'RE USING IT WRONG.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoghurtlover)
    While studying A levels, well in AS History to be exact I'd be working in a group of chavs were if you were to voice a different opinion to them or disagree on the slightest thing they'd blurt and AND WHAT,

Still bugs me something stupid to this day, thankfully they flunked by December.
    AND WHAT

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holby_fanatic)
    I hate it when people write how're, e.g. how're you?
    It makes absolutely no sense!
    If does make a bit of sense to be honest.

ISN'T = IS + NOT

HOW'RE = HOW + ARE

It's just grammatically incorrect and strange to look at.

The word "banter" has been horribly overused and nowadays it's never just a conversation, it's sick banter instead. The offspring like "banter bus" and phrases like "can't hack the banter" are just as bad.

I find the word cringe disgusting too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    Have you seen David Mitchell's Soapbox?
    Yep. Could agree with him more

ReputationRep:
    "Life isn't fair", I know it's try but it's depressing being reminded about from parents etc :sad:

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.