Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Discuss the view that the value of art is its capacity to imitate or represent our experience?

Can someone explain the question to me? And also give me your point of view of this question?

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Something's value is the value that it ads to yours or someone elses life.
    Does x make my life better (even in the smallest degree)? If yes then x has some value.

Discuss the view that the value of art is its capacity to imitate or represent our experience?

My view of art is that I feel pleasure/happy/nice from looking at good artwork - and thus artwork is a good way of adorning my home. However the question suggests that some people think that arts value is in it's capacity to imitate or represent our (human) experience. I think that the question is asserting that art possesses the potential (capacity being the most that it can hold/do) to depict humanity not just as we were (history) but as we are now (reality) - who we really are and what we're really like.

What's the value in this?
    Which paintings are like this (history, reality, demographics, whole)?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.