The Student Room Group

Cheapest way from london to birmingham

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marcusfox
Well, Advance tickets are operator specific, and since the operators that do EUS-BHM do not do MYB-BMS, then the Advances will be very much different.

There won't be any more cheap Advances available on this route during peak time unless you book pretty much 12 weeks ahead, but if she is on a £6 Advance, it will be booked train only, so it hardly matters if the train is peak time or not.

If the OP has a railcard, then she can travel on an Off Peak Ticket at any time, provided she is travelling on Virgin (notwithstanding some other exceptions not relevant in this case).

OK, but it really matter which operator it's with? BHM-EUS is either Virgin/London Midland whereas BMS-MYB is Chiltern, however I have managed to get £6 advances on all 3 operators.

The OP didn't state whether a booked train only would suffice, or whether they needed a peak/offpeak ticket.

I was only trying to offer my opinion.
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
OK, but it really matter which operator it's with? BHM-EUS is either Virgin/London Midland whereas BMS-MYB is Chiltern, however I have managed to get £6 advances on all 3 operators.

The OP didn't state whether a booked train only would suffice, or whether they needed a peak/offpeak ticket.

I was only trying to offer my opinion.

Yes, and it was very helpful :smile:
Reply 22
I would recommend megabus me and my cousin went and it cost us £9.50 each that was a return aswell, very cheap and coaches are nice and clean too
Reply 23
go by coach book your tickets online about 2 weeks in advance you can get a funfare. funfares are exclusively available online, and the earlier you book, the more likely you are to benefit from the best prices. funfares are only available as e-Tickets or m-Tickets.

e-Ticket is your National Express ticket which you print yourself (make sure you have access to a printer from the computer you book your tickets from)

m-Ticket is your National Express ticket sent directly to your mobile phone as a text message for a booking fee of just 50p.
Original post by Damask-
No, it's much cheaper to book online before hand and to book a specific train rather than get an anytime ticket. If you get the train a lot, a 16-25 railcard would save you a lot of money in the long run though they cost £28. Cheapest fares are normally before 8am or 11am-1pm, and then after 7-8pm. If you can be flexible with returning later, you'll save money.

...Not entirely sure why I got negged for this.

we'll give you some positive rep to make up for it :-)
May I suggest walking?

Quick Reply

Latest