Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

the highest level of study I have attained was A Levels which I did well in, but I went straight into work following that and haven't studied in the 9 years since I left school.

I'm 27 now and have just started a course in Software Engineering with the Open University, but I'm a bit concerned about my productivity.

I will spend say, 14 hours over two days doing the reading/practical for a module, and I take good detailed notes and understand all the concepts...But if you asked me what I'd learned the following day, although I could pick out scraps of knowledge and general themes, I would struggle to recount much of value. Is this normal or am I just particularly untalented at storing new information?

I think what I'll have to do is spend a lot of time going over notes, paraphrasing them, maybe spider diagramming etc.

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that not everybody can retain everything from a whole weeks reading after one read through. I'm just a very inexperienced student!

Hope you can advise!

ReputationRep:
    Make an image in your head and then write it down--that helps me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conure)
    Hi all,

the highest level of study I have attained was A Levels which I did well in, but I went straight into work following that and haven't studied in the 9 years since I left school.

I'm 27 now and have just started a course in Software Engineering with the Open University, but I'm a bit concerned about my productivity.

I will spend say, 14 hours over two days doing the reading/practical for a module, and I take good detailed notes and understand all the concepts...But if you asked me what I'd learned the following day, although I could pick out scraps of knowledge and general themes, I would struggle to recount much of value. Is this normal or am I just particularly untalented at storing new information?

I think what I'll have to do is spend a lot of time going over notes, paraphrasing them, maybe spider diagramming etc.

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that not everybody can retain everything from a whole weeks reading after one read through. I'm just a very inexperienced student!

Hope you can advise!
    Perfectly normal - you must revise for something to stay in your long term memory. I forgot the exact figure (oops), but when you study something for the first time, walk out the classroom, you will forget 80% - you have to revisit the work (then you might forget 60% and so on) and do something called over learning/spaced learning.

You have to start off revising the material everyday for a while. Then once a week. Then monthly. 6 monthly - something on those lines to maintain what you have learnt.

Also you must do something call active learning. Just reading old notes will not help things stick in long term mem.

Before you even worry about memorising stuff - you must fully understand them first.

Dont forget diet and sleep.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have this a lot, that's why if I learn something on day 1, and day 2 I will learn something else, I always start day 2 with a recap of what I did on day 1.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have the same problem. Try to use different methods to memorize. For example take notes, read the notes, try to write the notes down form your mind, speak the notes on your mp3 player, listen to the notes,...

ReputationRep:
    I look like a bit of a psycho when I study because I need to say things out loud for anything to stick longer than 2 days. Write notes really helps but try to engage with what you write down or else you'd just be wasting time. (I keep on doing this, especially when I have to revise topics I absolutely detest).

Highlight the important points if you think that helps them stand out. (just don't end up highlighting the whole page)

Try to draw "virtual" mind maps in your head and make meaningful connections. Also, don't just try to stuff a whole heap of information in your head, retrieve them too. That involves testing yourself or asking someone else to test you.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.