Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    I'm not saying communication isn't essential, it IS. However, there should only really be two categories in their selection process - can communicate effectively and cannot communicate effectively. Because, as long as the patient fully understands what you are saying, it doesn't matter how good you are and tbqh any scoring after that is essentially meaningless and completely subjective.

Yes doctors have to care, but as with communication, either you care or you don't. In my opinion, candidates should be assessed on their caring/communication/motivation as a tick-box exercise and then the actual ranking should be completely academic/cognitive. Also, with such high competition, I think more filters should be used such as what bands you get in Highers and definitely start giving out AAA/AAB conditions to Scottish students as well instead of unconditionals.
    Effectively is very subjective, plus communication has various different components. It's about personality and empathy too. Surely you will need to be someone they trust too and be someone worth confiding in. What if they can't speak English? All about emotions there buddy! How do you break the news to someone they have cancer? The patients doctors deal with are people and people are subjective.

Grades and UKCAT are the tick boxes. the degree will teach you the all the knowledge you need. Personality you can't teach! Your point about banding I agree with!

What area of medicine are you interested in? Research & academia or with patients?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.