The Student Room Group

Loss of motivation

I know I have no right to moan about anything and I know I've brought this on myself but I don't know what to do. I'm in my first year at University. I was doing well in the first semester. I really enjoyed my classes and had made some friends but then after Christmas, something odd seemed to happen. I just sort of lost the motivation to go to class. My attendance dropped until it became very low. I'd miss weeks at a time. I just felt that I didn't want to be at University any more. There were days I'd lock myself in my room and just think to myself whether University was for me. I decided I had to continue but then I found out just how behind I was and it just pushed me back into that depressed mood. I don't even know whether I'll be allowed to retake the year. If I get kicked out, my parents will kill me. I feel like I've just wrecked my life and I don't know what to do. Any advice?
Stop caring what your parents think. If they're angry at you for hating what you're doing, they aren't exactly nice people.

Do you actually enjoy your subject, ignoring your feelings towards your course?
Original post by SilvoSurfer
I know I have no right to moan about anything and I know I've brought this on myself but I don't know what to do. I'm in my first year at University. I was doing well in the first semester. I really enjoyed my classes and had made some friends but then after Christmas, something odd seemed to happen. I just sort of lost the motivation to go to class. My attendance dropped until it became very low. I'd miss weeks at a time. I just felt that I didn't want to be at University any more. There were days I'd lock myself in my room and just think to myself whether University was for me. I decided I had to continue but then I found out just how behind I was and it just pushed me back into that depressed mood. I don't even know whether I'll be allowed to retake the year. If I get kicked out, my parents will kill me. I feel like I've just wrecked my life and I don't know what to do. Any advice?

I dropped out in January and loss of motivation was one of my reasons for doing so, I just realised I'd made a massive mistake and couldn't see myself being there for another 3 1/2 years. Everyone says oh you'll regret it and that it's the only way to get anything out of life. BS. If you've done everything you can, work, friends and social-wise, and have spoken to people there ie your course director, counsellors etc and you know what you do want to do instead, go for it. It's you that's got to live with whatever decision you make at the end of the day. Good luck :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by MangoFreak
Stop caring what your parents think. If they're angry at you for hating what you're doing, they aren't exactly nice people.

Do you actually enjoy your subject, ignoring your feelings towards your course?

I do like it but I'm not entirely sure what made me lose the motivation. I want to continue but at this rate, it's looking like I'll be kicked out.
Reply 4
Original post by MissCellaneous94
I dropped out in January and loss of motivation was one of my reasons for doing so, I just realised I'd made a massive mistake and couldn't see myself being there for another 3 1/2 years. Everyone says oh you'll regret it and that it's the only way to get anything out of life. BS. If you've done everything you can, work, friends and social-wise, and have spoken to people there ie your course director, counsellors etc and you know what you do want to do instead, go for it. It's you that's got to live with whatever decision you make at the end of the day. Good luck :wink:

I want to try and continue but it's looking like it's too late. The damage has been done.
I want to try and continue but it's looking like it's too late. The damage has been done.

What do you study?
Reply 6
What do you study?

Computing.
Computing.

So am I right in thinking there's loads of reading and practical work? That'd obviously mean more to catch up on, but if you like it and want to finish it then make an appointment with someone at the uni and tell them how you're feeling. And one with a doctor might be a good idea to see if you might have mild depression. Just an idea.
Reply 8
It's never too late to pick it up, it just takes a lot of hard work. Everyone gets behind at some point and the longer it's left the more motivation is needed to get the job done!
The best thing to do is sit down with a bru, get a piece of paper and look at everything you need to learn/revise and write them all down. Then look when your exams are and plan what you're going to do and when you're going to do it. I'm only at college and i was in a similar situation to you where i just didn't go to lessons or college and left all my work untill I just thought I can't leave the work anymore. In the end i haven't done as well as i could of done but i'm still averaging ABB which is all I need!
Good luck, you can do it!!!!!! :smile:

ps. the best thing to do is remove yourself from the place where you tend to get down and think about everything. For me getting on a bus and going to a library in a different town does it.
Reply 9
Original post by lukesmith94
It's never too late to pick it up, it just takes a lot of hard work. Everyone gets behind at some point and the longer it's left the more motivation is needed to get the job done!
The best thing to do is sit down with a bru, get a piece of paper and look at everything you need to learn/revise and write them all down. Then look when your exams are and plan what you're going to do and when you're going to do it. I'm only at college and i was in a similar situation to you where i just didn't go to lessons or college and left all my work untill I just thought I can't leave the work anymore. In the end i haven't done as well as i could of done but i'm still averaging ABB which is all I need!
Good luck, you can do it!!!!!! :smile:

ps. the best thing to do is remove yourself from the place where you tend to get down and think about everything. For me getting on a bus and going to a library in a different town does it.

Thanks for that. I'll try my best.
Reply 10
So am I right in thinking there's loads of reading and practical work? That'd obviously mean more to catch up on, but if you like it and want to finish it then make an appointment with someone at the uni and tell them how you're feeling. And one with a doctor might be a good idea to see if you might have mild depression. Just an idea.

Yeah I plan on going to have a chat with someone. I'm not too sure about going to the doctors though.
Yeah I plan on going to have a chat with someone. I'm not too sure about going to the doctors though.

Just thought they could give you something to help but if it's only come on recently and not too serious there's probably no need, loads of people feel the same way. You've only got about 10 weeks left right?
Reply 12
Just thought they could give you something to help but if it's only come on recently and not too serious there's probably no need, loads of people feel the same way. You've only got about 10 weeks left right?

Less than that I think.
Less than that I think.

Even better! Finish the 1st year then work out your next move, if you want to continue or not.

Quick Reply