The Student Room Group

Should I take A-level French

I love french but i don't really have natural aptitude for languages. In year 10 i put in no work (resigned myself to the idea i was the worlds worst linguist) and came out with straight B's, but in the last 6 months I've started to love it and I got 2 A*s and an A in recent speaking and writing (but its just memerization isn't it). If i put in a lot of effort i can probably overall get an A (actual exams are where i'd lose marks), but i'm still not sure if that's good enough to take it to A level, I mean there'd be kids in my A level class that'd have got an A* at gcse with little effort. Anyone else in/has been in my situation, advice??? thanks- sorry for rambling :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mariaellie
I love french but i don't really have natural aptitude for languages. In year 10 i put in no work (resigned myself to the idea i was the worlds worst linguist) and came out with straight B's, but in the last 6 months I've started to love it and I got 2 A*s and an A in recent speaking and writing (but its just memerization isn't it). If i put in a lot of effort i can probably overall get an A (actual exams are where i'd lose marks), but i'm still not sure if that's good enough to take it to A level, I mean there'd be kids in my A level class that'd have got an A* at gcse with little effort. Anyone else in/has been in my situation, advice??? thanks- sorry for rambling :smile:

Firstly a level is a big step up from gcse but don't panic cause if you put in the work you'll be ok. I got an A grade at gcse and after working my ass off got a B grade at a level. Having a language is very rewarding and can set you apart from other job applicants in the future and the overseas opportunities are not to be sniffed at. Don't put yourself down because your grades show that you ARE good with the language and admit youself you enjoy it. I say a definite a level to choose! :biggrin:
Reply 2
thanks :smile: congratulations on your grade! did you take it to a2?
Original post by mariaellie
thanks :smile: congratulations on your grade! did you take it to a2?

I did yeah :smile: Sorry I should have posted it clearer :P
I got a B grade as my A2 result :smile:
I really enjoyed the subject :')
Reply 4
I got an A in the end; turned out full ums on the exams :eek:but the controlled assessments got heavily moderated, nontheless I'm taking it next year :biggrin:. I'm probably gonna be "working my ass off" like you did, i was wandering if you had any advice/tips for next year? Thanks :smile:
A-level French is a big jump from GCSE. I say if you were to pick French, start preparing yourself NOW. Practise your grammar, learn lots of vocab, watch French films and read French books/newspapers. However, French is a very good subject. If you enjoyed GCSE, then I'm sure you will enjoy A-level. I enjoyed it. I got a B in my AS and I'm gonna do it for A2. If you pick it, you are gonna need to start putting effort if you want to pass, beacause although it's enjoyable, it's reeeeaaally hard and one of the hardest subjects on the list. so be prepared.
Reply 6
Original post by joyce-diana
A-level French is a big jump from GCSE. I say if you were to pick French, start preparing yourself NOW. Practise your grammar, learn lots of vocab, watch French films and read French books/newspapers. However, French is a very good subject. If you enjoyed GCSE, then I'm sure you will enjoy A-level. I enjoyed it. I got a B in my AS and I'm gonna do it for A2. If you pick it, you are gonna need to start putting effort if you want to pass, beacause although it's enjoyable, it's reeeeaaally hard and one of the hardest subjects on the list. so be prepared.

That's 100 percent the truth

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest