Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Will the word "Dat" replace the word "That" in the future? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frusen)
    but 'dat' still remains as almost a word of mockery towards those who are below the 'average intelligence', and for that reason I don't regard it as an alternative spelling just yet.
    Um now i must think a bit, but ummm Sheakspeares English ( for example : thou art ) is very nice, but only for the people who are gifted with a keen sense for ancient language, but the ones who are not good in this, can be much more succesfull in life, while the other could be a unemployed poet?

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think 'dat' will replace 'that' - I rarely hear 'text speech' spoken and hardly any of my friends/people I know use it for written texts etc. Obviously, this doesn't represent everyone and is just my experience but I still don't believe 'that' could be replaced with 'dat.'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I don't really get what you're trying to say >.<

Most people in Shakespearean times could not read, and languages evolved fundamentally through sound changes (such as the Great Vowel Shift) rather than the written word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie027)
    No, I don't think 'dat' will replace 'that' - I rarely hear 'text speech' spoken and hardly any of my friends/people I know use it for written texts etc. Obviously, this doesn't represent everyone and is just my experience but I still don't believe 'that' could be replaced with 'dat.'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ha ha it saves one letter, hey, "Dat" is shorter then "That" thus more eficient and in the long run also energy saving ( evry bite on internet, represents also a physical money number on the bank cause bites cost energy ) ....

Ergonomics....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edwinemanuelposse)
    This month i read a lot of people, and also on on TSR UK that used the word "Dat" instead of "That"

U think this makes a chance to become the new oficial UK text spelling in the year 2030?
    I bloody well fu(king hope not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlatan?)
    Hahaha u try to fool the swearing filter of TRS UK, i also did that one day with the word poohhole, but somebody snitched me so i get 5 bad points on my TSR license.....

ReputationRep:
    Not in my vocabulary

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha u try to fool the swearing filter of TRS UK, i also did that one day with the word poohhole, but somebody snitched me so i get 5 bad points on my TSR license.....
    Fascinating story- must've been such a momentous occasion in your life.

ReputationRep:
    Fool? Shut your mouth you filthy little toe-rag. This thread is just as pointless as your pathetic, inconsequential existence on this planet.
    My soul is made of iron steel , dont feel a thing, could u be more rude please? Its nice to test it out sometimes if i can take the max of mental abuse hey !

Hit me !!!

ReputationRep:
    Avoiding the swear filter? Aint nobody got time fo dat

ReputationRep:
    My soul is made of iron steel , dont feel a thing, could u be more rude please? Its nice to test it out sometimes if i can take the max of mental abuse hey !

Hit me !!!
    You have nerve damage from when you were dropped on your head as a baby- why you can't feel or understand a thing.

ReputationRep:
    No, no, a million times no.

x

ReputationRep:
    Even if it does become an acceptable spelling in the language, I won't use it. No way. I'd do anything for love, but I won't do ...

ReputationRep:
    You have nerve damage from when you were dropped on your head as a baby- why you can't feel or understand a thing.
    Um well could it be a aural spectrum distortion also??? Most normal nerves heal pretty quick hey when u are a todler...

ReputationRep:
    It probably will because "th" is a rare sound, that's why foreign people from Paris to Pondicherry have so much trouble pronouncing it. Nowadays more foreigners speak English as a second language than actual indigenous Anglophones so you have to assume it's their way of speaking it that will take off, especially given how much better they are than us at making money and becoming world powers.

Not by 2030 though, maybe two more generations at the earliest, and another 150 years after that for the writing system to change.

ReputationRep:
    Oke i do that just to please u, u have a preference how i should die? Hang myself? Pills? Bridge? Higway? Train?
    Any of the above options are satisfactory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frusen)
    Actually, the English language has no regulating body, unlike academie francaise for French or svenska akadamien for Swedish which have commanded any changes to their respective language for many years.

Thus, to a certain extent you could say that there is no 'true' form of English, other than that which is in common usage and for which there is a general consensus of agreement. The insertion of the word 'like' in a sentence in order to allow the speaker to think was born purely of the public and yet we now find its extra use in dictionaries.

As said earlier, to me 'u' has now become a somewhat acceptable re-spelling of 'you' (though one which I would never use), but 'dat' still remains as almost a word of mockery towards those who are below the 'average intelligence', and for that reason I don't regard it as an alternative spelling just yet.
    Do you think the such a body should exist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Do you think the such a body should exist?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not sure. I kinda like the idea that a language changes because the people do, rather than change being forced upon it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.