The Student Room Group

We need to get rid of the "chav" culture

It's a drain on the UK, it's a drain on society, it's a drain on our culture. It's just awful.

Most anti social crimes in the UK are committed by these morons, lets be tougher on them!

They stand for the "working class"? No they don't. I'm working class and I despise them.

It's about time we clamped down on these scumbags. All they do is drink or do drugs. They don't have jobs. The way they go on is appalling. It's time we clamped down.

Oh, and the thing that annoys me. "Oh, they need a cuddle. They just need support." No they don't. They need a kick up the arse. They need a prison sentance. They need a reality check.

These people are ruining this country by playing the "were working class" card.

Scroll to see replies

I really hope you're just a troll . The word "chav" is really offensive, it's a derogatory term.
I live in upper-middle class Surrey and everyone uses the term "chav" to describe people who live in council houses and engage in the behaviours you described. However nobody would reject these behaviours if the people in question were wealthy/
Being tough does not work and will not work. The US has some of the toughest prisons in the world and has one of the highest re-offence rates.
Most "chavs" come from rough areas, have difficult home lives and little future prospects. By labelling and insulting them you are excluding them from a society which they already feel alienated from. What they really need is good education, youth projects and financial/social support.
There is a culture in this country of using 'chavs' as a scapegoat. They were not born that way, society made them that way.
They don't stand for the working class but a majority of them come from poor working class backgrounds.
It is high time our society took a more progressive and tolerant attitude.

I'm not entirely sure why I bothered writing this as no doubt you'll disagree with me and continue to preach ignorance.
Reply 2
Original post by EleanorKeats
I really hope you're just a troll . The word "chav" is really offensive, it's a derogatory term.
I live in upper-middle class Surrey and everyone uses the term "chav" to describe people who live in council houses and engage in the behaviours you described. However nobody would reject these behaviours if the people in question were wealthy/
Being tough does not work and will not work. The US has some of the toughest prisons in the world and has one of the highest re-offence rates.
Most "chavs" come from rough areas, have difficult home lives and little future prospects. By labelling and insulting them you are excluding them from a society which they already feel alienated from. What they really need is good education, youth projects and financial/social support.
There is a culture in this country of using 'chavs' as a scapegoat. They were not born that way, society made them that way.
They don't stand for the working class but a majority of them come from poor working class backgrounds.

I'm not entirely sure why I bothered writing this as no doubt you'll disagree with me and continue to preach ignorance.

Cry me a river. Chavs are scum. Stop trying to justify their behaviour in true Labourite fashion by blaming the normal members of society. Labour created this mess when they decided that letting scumbags live off other people's money was acceptable. When you subsidise idleness and degenerate culture you get more of it.

Instead of defending people like this, give them the kick up the arse they need, get them employed, and the rest will fall together.
Reply 3
Original post by Barksy
Cry me a river. Chavs are scum. Stop trying to justify their behaviour in true Labourite fashion by blaming the normal members of society. Labour created this mess when they decided that letting scumbags live off other people's money was acceptable. When you subsidise idleness and degenerate culture you get more of it.

Instead of defending people like this, give them the kick up the arse they need, get them employed, and the rest will fall together.

Yeah, I hate bosses and landlords too.
Reply 4

Your the type of person who prohibts change. Like the poster said below. Cry me a river. They deserve that label. For example, I've seen some turn upto interviews in tracksuit bottoms, and wonder why they don't get the job.

Society didn't make them that way. They have money to drink, smoke, do drugs and buy good clothes.

These people need a good kick up the arse, not people like you.

Edit: If you live in surrey, in an upper class neighborhood you have no idea how much impact these people have. Not unless you've experienced it personally.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by uktotalgamer
They need a kick up the arse. They need a prison sentance. They need a reality check.

This won't work for the vast majority of chavs.
Reply 6
Original post by Fullofsurprises
'Chav', the legitimised insult used to describe the poor, a group considered fair game for any kind of humiliation by the right-wing press. The Sun and the Mail make money by attacking this group. They are owned by offshored oligarchs who live in billion-dollar mansions and think up new ways to insult British poor people. Great.

No-one uses the word to describe the poor. They use it to describe those types. The fact you would suggest that is actually quite insulting to poor people.
Reply 7
'Chav', the legitimised insult used to describe the poor, a group considered fair game for any kind of humiliation by the right-wing press. The Sun and the Mail make money by attacking this group. They are owned by offshored oligarchs who live in billion-dollar mansions and think up new ways to insult British poor people. Great.

Chav = Council House and Violant
They are simply a product of what society has become . Many drink to escape the grim reality that the chances of them escaping the cycle their forefathers have been in is slim . At this point its more slim then ever , even with education no one is guaranteed a occupation , unemployment rates higher then ever .

Whereas upper class / middle class (in some aspects) get everything handed on a plate to them , education works in their favor , getting a job is pretty simple as your family has social capital and links , education and specifically university is pushed within their families .
Reply 9

I concur with Barksy above.

I have friends that you would consider poor. They're not chavs. They don't act like complete tosspots who have no respect for other people.
Reply 10
Original post by Lala_1234
Chav = Council House and Violant

It probably comes from the word "charver" or "chavi".
Reply 11
Original post by Kibalchich

That really is a poor attempt and you know it.
Reply 12

give it a break.
have you ever actually met a chav?
they are the most horrible people in the world. they don't read the paper, so they won't even know about this "humiliation".

you are not helping things at all with this attitude
Reply 13
0% Benefits :smile: - Thats unrealistic though and causes problems to the vulnerable members of society like disabled people.

Making people work for their benefits is a better solution, things like community service, helping charities, volunteering etc
Reply 14
What is this bullshit thats its a term used to describe the poor? My parents live in one of the best areas of their town and there are plently of middle class people who are called chavs.

Its the way they act, talk, go out of their way to cause trouble and cant bothered to do anything with their life. It doesnt necessarily mean poor. At least not where i come from.
Reply 15
Original post by Barksy
That really is a poor attempt and you know it.

Poor attempt at what? I'm agreeing with you!
Original post by Kibalchich

Ridiculous statement. Bosses had to start at the bottom before working their way up, just because they're about 20 years further on with their life than the graduates doesn't mean they are living off other people's work - they've done their graft and are working at stuff that most people wouldn't even be able to comprehend. Landlords have to buy their property in some way, most of them saved their arses off and purchased a house to let so fair play to them. Again, they had to work hard to get the money together for the house in the first place so they aren't living off other people's work. Your statement is like expecting to be able to have free car rental because it's not acceptable that the company who own the car are living off other people's money.
Reply 17

Most chavs are given an education, but believe they don't need it, as in most cases their parents will have dropped out of school and are living off of benefits.
What the country needs to do is re-think its benefits system so that people can only have benefits for a limited amount of time.
Or, have a benefits card so that the council can monitor what they are spending their money on (e.g. alot of people living off of benefits have HUGE tv's, the newest iPhone, and smoke and/or drink etc. All of these are luxuries, they do not need them)
Reply 18
Original post by uktotalgamer
In response to a different thread. This is why your the worst poster on this forum.

What? Because someone else makes a ridiculous statement, I'm the worst poster? :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by hothedgehog
Ridiculous statement. Bosses had to start at the bottom before working their way up, just because they're about 20 years further on with their life than the graduates doesn't mean they are living off other people's work - they've done their graft and are working at stuff that most people wouldn't even be able to comprehend. Landlords have to buy their property in some way, most of them saved their arses off and purchased a house to let so fair play to them. Again, they had to work hard to get the money together for the house in the first place so they aren't living off other people's work. Your statement is like expecting to be able to have free car rental because it's not acceptable that the company who own the car are living off other people's money.

Like Gina Rhinehart? or Richard Branson? People like that you mean? Do me a fucking favour.

Latest