Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

We need to get rid of the "chav" culture Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't like them either, you get them in Clifton and Nottingham and where I used to live (Hampshire). Southampton in Hampshire doesn't have that many though.

They need to reset the benefit system as well as many other things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Algorithm69)
    What a crock of arse. The definition of a chav, for people who are not idiots (i.e. people who have actually come into contact with them) does not simply extend to "wearing different clothes" or "doing different things for fun". Most people define a chav as someone who almost certainly has broken the law, has several ASBOs, is antisocial, uneducated, dirty, uncouth, racist, sexist, are benefit spongers etc. Where on earth are you getting your ideas about what constitutes a chav?
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    agree with this, you clearly don't understand the definition of a chav.
    Lol at trying to tell someone with her location listed as Stoke that they have never come into contact with a 'chav'. :rolleyes:

If you were asked to describe a picture of a person wearing a tracksuit, wearing hooped earrings/lots of make-up, shaving head (gender dependent), you would probably include the word chav. You are assigning those characteristics to a person based on their clothing. That is discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Lol at trying to tell someone with her location listed as Stoke that they have never come into contact with a 'chav'. :rolleyes:

If you were asked to describe a picture of a person wearing a tracksuit, wearing hooped earrings/lots of make-up, shaving head (gender dependent), you would probably include the word chav. You are assigning those characteristics to a person based on their clothing. That is discrimination.
    No, that is not discrimination. That is prejudice.
    It's pretty stupid to say we shouldn't judge people at all on their style. Every day we judge people (sometimes subconsciously) on how they present themselves. But how you present yourself often can say a lot about your personality. So is there anything really that wrong with this?

ReputationRep:
    And it's been refuted multiple times. It doesn't matter that there are a few middle class 'chavs'. The label 'chav' is overwhelmingly linked with working class culture and it is a way of insulting that whole section of society without being outright classist.
    I'm working class. I don't act like a tosser.

Chav isn't classist. I think you'll find that most who are against chavs are from the working classes who realise what scumbags these people are.

Stop chasing a mute point. Because that's what it is. That isn't what this thread is about.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty stupid to say we shouldn't judge people at all on their style. Every day we judge people (sometimes subconsciously) on how they present themselves. But how you present yourself often can say a lot about your personality. So is there anything really that wrong with this?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AaronHarding123)
    Working class people aren't 'chavs'.
    There is another social class below working class people called the 'underclass'. They are the 'chavs' of society and are generally associated with the Jeremy Kyle show and have extremely low IQ's. You shouldn't prejudge a whole social class when you know nothing about them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're arguing that poor people are thick? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktotalgamer)
    You do on here.

ReputationRep:

Chav isn't classist. I think you'll find that most who are against chavs are from the working classes who realise what scumbags these people are.

Stop chasing a mute point. Because that's what it is. That isn't what this thread is about.

I don't act like a tosser.

uktotalgamer

About me
    I troll. U got dat dere trolled.

Interests
    Trololololol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    Yes.
    really? so if you were an employer and someone came for a job interview dressed as a clown you would take them just as seriously as someone in business dress?

ReputationRep:
    really? so if you were an employer and someone came for a job interview dressed as a clown you would take them just as seriously as someone in business dress?
    Well that's a pretty dramatic shift of the goalposts isn't it.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's a pretty dramatic shift of the goalposts isn't it.
    You said it was a problem that we judged people based on dress.
    This comes under that category surely?

ReputationRep:
    You said it was a problem that we judged people based on dress.
    This comes under that category surely?
    You can't say it's perfectly fine to judge people by the way they dress just because you can think of one specific situation where it's considered appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    You can't say it's perfectly fine to judge people by the way they dress just because you can think of one specific situation where it's considered appropriate.
    No, if someone came to a job interview dressed like a chav, you could judge them on it. It shows they didn't even put the effort in to look presentable. That's just one other example.

ReputationRep:
    No, if someone came to a job interview dressed like a chav, you could judge them on it. It shows they didn't even put the effort in to look presentable. That's just one other example.
    'One other example'? But.. it's the exact example you gave before? I don't even know where you're trying to go with this point to be honest. Yeah, people get judged in job interviews based on how they dress. That doesn't mean they should be judged for it in day to day life.

ReputationRep:
    So you agree that being classified as a chav is as much about clothing as it is about attitude and behaviour?

This particular style is linked with working class culture so it is degraded and mocked. My clothing is not judged in the same way because I dress like a middle class person. We all dress according to our class or the class we aspire to be, but it is only people who dress like working class people whose clothing brings up images of anti-social and violent behaviour.

I'll think you'll find most people who are against 'chavs' are middle class, if only because the middle classes make up the majority of the population. You keep saying that it only applies to a select group of people, but that's not how it is applied. If a middle class person who dressed in a middle class way acted in the same way as 'chavs' supposedly act, he would not be called a chav. In fact, many middle class people do get drunk, make a mess and get violent with each other. But that's OK because they're middle class, right? They're not really like that, they're just having fun! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    'Chav', the legitimised insult used to describe the poor, a group considered fair game for any kind of humiliation by the right-wing press. The Sun and the Mail make money by attacking this group. They are owned by offshored oligarchs who live in billion-dollar mansions and think up new ways to insult British poor people. Great.
    Yeah. Except, it's not the poor. It's mostly an antisocial and lazy subsection of the poor, though the word is also often applied to certain rich (or, more often, just regular not-poor) people (though necessarily not ones who've earned their money through sustained hard work).

Chavs are scum by definition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    You do on here.
    Because I don't agree with your views? Grow up.

uktotalgamer

About me
    I troll. U got dat dere trolled.

Interests
    Trololololol
    That was from ages ago. I don't spend enough time on here to justify tailoring my profile for nerks like you to look at it.. Again, grow up.

So you agree that being classified as a chav is as much about clothing as it is about attitude and behaviour?

This particular style is linked with working class culture so it is degraded and mocked. My clothing is not judged in the same way because I dress like a middle class person. We all dress according to our class or the class we aspire to be, but it is only people who dress like working class people whose clothing brings up images of anti-social and violent behaviour.

I'll think you'll find most people who are against 'chavs' are middle class, if only because the middle classes make up the majority of the population. You keep saying that it only applies to a select group of people, but that's not how it is applied. If a middle class person who dressed in a middle class way acted in the same way as 'chavs' supposedly act, he would not be called a chav. In fact, many middle class people do get drunk, make a mess and get violent with each other. But that's OK because they're middle class, right? They're not really like that, they're just having fun! :rolleyes:
    I would argue that those who act like 'chavs' and are middle class do not randomly hit people with baseball bats, go 1 v 14 with some unsuspecting person, kick shades of ****e out of each other for being from a different town. This behaviour sits chav's apart. Yes. These middle class people may go on similarly, for example making noise while drinking, but at least their not violent with strangers.

The only reason that your making your point is simple. You've never really experienced a 'chav.' And you haven't. Otherwise you wouldn't be sticking up for the filthy scumbags.

ReputationRep:
    I would argue that those who act like 'chavs' and are middle class do not randomly hit people with baseball bats, go 1 v 14 with some unsuspecting person, kick shades of ****e out of each other for being from a different town. This behaviour sits chav's apart. Yes. These middle class people may go on similarly, for example making noise while drinking, but at least their not violent with strangers.

The only reason that your making your point is simple. You've never really experienced a 'chav.' And you haven't. Otherwise you wouldn't be sticking up for the filthy scumbags.
    Are seriously suggesting that everyone who is labelled as a chav hits people with cricket bats? That's blatantly not true.

And actually I have plenty of family members who would be considered chavs by many members of TSR. Not by your very narrow definition of chavs as people who commit GBH (although I do have a relative who held up a post office with a wooden gun... ), but the way it is usually applied to people.

ReputationRep:
    Well, considering 'chavs' properly-so-called don't work, or work as little as possible, and are uneducated (I don't mean not-formally-educated, I mean generally ignorant), I find it hard to see how someone who can properly be described as 'middle class' could be a chav. (Note, class =/= networth or income.)

"All chavs are poor" =/= and =/=> "All poor are chavs".

(Even accepting that 'all chavs are poor', which they're not.)

edit: a good deal of this debate seems to me to come down to irrelevant semantics. My definition of 'chav' might not match another's, but another's may not be necessarily pejorative, as mine is.

ReputationRep:
    Chav culture is the UK's manifestation of poverty and lack of education- wherever there are these two factors there will be crime, violence etc.

One does not simply get rid of poverty and poor-education. If there weren't 'chavs', then there would be a similar subculture tantamount to 'chavs' and a disgrace to the country all-the-same.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 18, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.