Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know how to do the actual titration but its the table that I need help on. I don't know how to do it. could someone tell me how to make the table, that will be so helpful

I heard that you should include, initial reading, final reading, titre reading (something like that) but dont know what to include in them.

ReputationRep:
    For each run - initial volume, final volume, difference in volume (i.e. titre), all labelled with the same units at the top of the columns (normally cm^3).
    You'll have at least 4 rows - the trial, and the three actual runs (or however many it takes to get concurrent titres). Label them as Trial, 1, 2 and 3.
    I never included the average as part of the table itself, I just did the calculation and gave the value directly underneath.
    Hope this helps!
    EDIT - my teacher was always really keen on us doing the table inside a box, not with open sides. Helped keep everything neat and tidy!

ReputationRep:
    Your table would appear, albeit with carefully drawn lines courtesy of a ruler, look like this:

Initial reading (cm3) Final reading (cm3) Difference (cm3)

You're reading from the titre so you could include "titre" in the headings though I doubt it would be necessary. I'm not sure whether an average is required but I'm sure you'll be able to deduce how to add that in for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Things to keep in mind:
    - Keep a 'trial' column.
    - Don't redraw the table and continue lines down the page - use a rubber - Examiners don't like it
    - Always keep units and keep them consistent (cm^3)
    - Titre is the final reading-initial reading
    - When you average, refer to it as the mean
    Your columns should read: Trial | 1 | 2 | 3
    Your rows should read:
    Initial Reading (unit)
    Final Reading (unit)
    Titre (unit)
    Average (unit)
    Or any combination of this table. Providing it has those basic components, you're away.
    - Don't include your trial in your average, obviously!

ReputationRep:
    oh thanks guys. hopefully I do good. And I heard that you have to put your answers in 1dp or was it 2? e.g. if the solution in your titre stopped at 23.2cm^3, would you write it down as 23.2 or 23.25/23.20 (.25 if it looks more than halfway to 23.4, .20 if it looked less than halfway to 23.2cm^3)
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by TwlilightLoz)
    oh thanks guys. hopefully I do good. And I heard that you have to put your answers in 1dp or was it 2? e.g. if the solution in your titre stopped at 23.2cm^3, would you write it down as 23.2 or 23.25/23.20 (.25 if it looks more than halfway to 23.4, .20 if it looked less than halfway to 23.2cm^3)
    You should always record measurements appropriate to the accuracy with which you have measured. If you measure something to 2 decimal places you should NEVER record it to 1 dp.

So, for example, a burette reading of 22.20 ml must NOT be recorded as 22.2 ml as this gives an incorrect idea of the degree of accuracy.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was a degree of precision if it's 22.2 and 22.20?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done the Thiosulphate ISA about rates of reaction?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 16, 2013
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.