Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hey, I'm currently in year 12 thinking about applying to study either chemistry or pharmocology. I've got a couple of questions that I need answering, any help is appreciated

    1. what kind of work experience would be beneficial and look good on applications? I've already done a week in a hospital as I wanted to study medicine at the time but is there any related to pharmocology that'd be better?

    2. I've got my ears pierced and stretched, I was planning on gradually shrinking them down so when I went for interviews for medicine they'd be normal piercings/closed but would stretched ears be frowned upon when applying for pharmacology?

    Thanks again

    I'm in year 13 at the moment, holding 4 offers for chemistry - UCL, Imperial, Reading, and QMUL (Pharm. chem).

    Personally, I didn't have any work experience :rolleyes:. The only thing that I mentioned was that I did three weeks assisting a science teacher in my old secondary school - pretty easy to get a placement like that. Before I decided to do chemistry, I wanted to do pharmacology and I was told that working in a pharmacy would be as relevant as it gets really. That's why science students have it a bit easier than med students

    As for the stretched ear/piercings, I have both of mine stretched to 20mm and no one seemed to care I did hide my septum ring though, just to be on the safe side haha!
    •  Official Rep

     Official Rep
    Hi xelijahrrx,

    To answer your questions, any work experience looks great, even if it isn't related to chemistry or pharmacology. Make sure you relate your experience to transferable skills that you gained and how those skills will help you on your course.

    As far as your piercings go, different institutions have different views on them. More prestigious universities may frown upon them, although that may not be a deciding factor on if your application is successful or not. Others welcome people with a more unique appearance as it provides a wider variety of students at the university. See what type of universities you will want to apply for and go from there.

    I hope this helps you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2013


students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.