Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I've put on 16lbs...Oops. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Free.Help)
    I usually prefar lifting than cardio...Is it better for losing weight or is cardio? I know you should do both, but is one better than the other?
    As stated above, you should look to do both. I'd probably suggest 70% cardio, 30% lifting. So do your runs, jogs, bike rides etc and end and beginng the sessions with streches or simple callanetics.

Then on days you don't do cardio, lift! Squats with weights, resistance machines, dumbells etc. If your serious about lifting (which you should be), look into some beginners routines like Starting Strength.

Remember that exercise is wasted if you do not have a good diet. Calculate your TDEE and minus 300-500 calories from this to create your deficit. A protein-ridden diet with good amounts of fat and a reasonable amount of carbs goes a long, long way to weight loss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    The motivation has to come from within yourself. From reading your post it sounds like you, personally, honestly do not care about your weight gain and hence you'll likely always struggle to find the motivation to do anything about it until you genuinely care.
    Oh I do care otherwise I wouldn't be doing anything about it. It's hard becuase I've always been slim no mattar what I ate, nowsuddenly it's catching up with me so I have to change a habit I've had for 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandabär)
    You can get 7 portions of small pizza and chips with mayo, and a coke for £10?

I need the number of your takeaway if all of that costs less than £1.50.
    I get any food from takeaway free anytime I want. I have friends in high places

Why was I negged..Jealous?

ReputationRep:
    Eat healthier foods that will fill you up for longer. Whenever you get bored and want to snack, stop yourself and drink a glass of ice cold water or if that doesn't fill you up snack on some celery or fruit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarmouse)
    Personally I find it easier to think about getting healthy rather than losing weight, because when I try to lose weight I find myself thinking 'Ah sod it, I'm not THAT fat' but if I think about health, I can't find an excuse-I need to eat healthy and exercise and feel I'm doing something good, rather than NOT doing something I like.
    Myfitnesspal is really good I agree, used that a couple of times.
    I put on loads of weight when I first went to uni, just drank far too much beer !
    Yeah, that's what I do too! I think, well, I'm not that fat and my friends all say you're still skinny so I think forget it!

ReputationRep:
    Oh I do care otherwise I wouldn't be doing anything about it. It's hard becuase I've always been slim no mattar what I ate, nowsuddenly it's catching up with me so I have to change a habit I've had for 5 years.
    You can't always eat what you want and not put any weight on. I was able to eat **** until I was 18 then started putting weight on and weighed 11st 8. Now I only eat 3 small meals a day with no snacks and weight just under 9 stone. It's achievable, you need to start caring about how your body looks and the amount of crap you're putting into your body. Amongst other things, fast food and carbs won't be doing any favours for your heart.

ReputationRep:
    That's true too, people seem to think that unless you're noticeably overweight, then you shouldn't bother exercising or looking after yourself..Or if you lose weight, they show concern even if you're nowhere near underweight and are just being healthy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FallonSmith)
    Eat healthier foods that will fill you up for longer. Whenever you get bored and want to snack, stop yourself and drink a glass of ice cold water or if that doesn't fill you up snack on some celery or fruit.
    Don't overdo on the fruit though. As healthy as they are, they contain a lot of sugar, which people sometimes forget.

ReputationRep:
    I get any food from takeaway free anytime I want. I have friends in high places

Why was I negged..Jealous?
    I didn't neg you. Check your points balance- I doubt it has gone down by 5.

ReputationRep:
    You could try Slimming World if you don't want to count calories etc. It definitely works, I lost over a stone on it. You get 'free food' which you can eat unlimited amounts of - fruit, veg, eggs, low fat yogurt, potatoes/pasta/rice etc. Milk/cheese and bread/cereal - you choose one of each and then weigh that out, you get one of milk/cheese and one of bread/cereal a day. So you can't eat loads of bread, loads of cheese etc. Recommended you have at least one third of every meal in fruit/veg and you eat that first so it fills you up. So easy, not hassle at all, you don't really have to count anything (you get 'syns' which is for like chocolate etc but you ONLY have to 'count' your treats). Look into it anyway, so easy and it works so well because you end up eating loads of fruit/veg/lean meat etc

ReputationRep:
    just think about how ****ty you feel about how you look.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.