Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Does not going on a field trip stop getting you an A? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr DaMan)
    I sat 4A in January and I agree, Unit 2 was a stepping stone and the field study did help. Regardless, I still think you can do well without going on the field study, it's simply harder. If people don't go on the field study or have the motivation to work they likely won't be successful at A Level anyway.
    I would agree, but even if you do well and don't attend the fieldwork and then go further with geography, you will struggle at degree level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miz_mixy)
    So we have this field trip that's supposed to help us with the skills paper for geography, and the few of us that aren't able to go for certain reasons have been told that there's no way we can get an A for our AS grade.
    Is this true??
    Does the skills paper rely THAT much on hands on experience or can you read around it/ get taught enough to pass it properly?
    Your teacher is being very harsh saying that.

I wont lie however, it will make a difference not going as you wont get the experience of physically doing the research and collecting the information and data but as long as a class mate can let you use their notes then you should have all the essential information. Really you teacher should provide all those who don't go with the esential information.

I recommend researching the place your class is going to and the internet, look on google maps so you can get a feel for the place as well as long as you understand all the information they collected you should be fine.

As I said the field trip is more for the experience than anything else, don't be put off and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r0siedunning)

I recommend researching the place your class is going to and the internet, look on google maps so you can get a feel for the place as well as long as you understand all the information they collected you should be fine.

As I said the field trip is more for the experience than anything else, don't be put off and good luck!
    Agree it is more the experience, however still think you learn very important skills, that you won't get from research. I personally, and know several others who say the same thing, is never research where you're going on fieldwork as it can cause bias, but obviously if you're not going it is the only thing you can do.

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks for all the responses guys!

(Original post by Dr DaMan)
    Also, @OP, if you do AQA the AS Field Study exam is only worth 60 marks out of 200 so slipping up on it isn't too big of an issue, you will easily make up for it with a good performance in Unit 1.
    And yepp I'm doing AQA! Ah Thankyou, that's definitely reassuring!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.