Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Applied to a grammar school and they want to interview me Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically i have an interview next week at this school for sixth form i want to study biology chemistry history and english lit and i was just wandering what sort of questions (and answers if possible) could they ask:yes: so yeah anybody whos had this kinda experience please let me know thank you in advance
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I havent had this experience, but i'd imagine the most common questions would be why do you want to study there, and why those subjects....there is no right or wrong answer to these, but show enthusiasm and read up a bit on the school (maybe it's a school that is very strong in science? if so, say that as a reason) an important thing to remember is that it isnt just about your academic side that they want to know about, it's also your personality and whether you're right for that school so make a good impression, be friendly but smart and you'll be fine

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Courtney.)
    I havent had this experience, but i'd imagine the most common questions would be why do you want to study there, and why those subjects....there is no right or wrong answer to these, but show enthusiasm and read up a bit on the school (maybe it's a school that is very strong in science? if so, say that as a reason) an important thing to remember is that it isnt just about your academic side that they want to know about, it's also your personality and whether you're right for that school so make a good impression, be friendly but smart and you'll be fine

good luck
    Thanks i really need to get my answers straight shud i talk about being an anti bullying ambassador and taking part in the diana award will this help in any way?? I also have a small business selling cupcakes will they be interested in my entreprenurial side? i wanted to say that im choosing this school because i want to experience the learning of a grammar school compared to the state school im in what could i add to that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If they ask you about yourself/things you currently do then definitely! A lot of schools try to do what they can to beat bullying so that's definitely a big plus in your favour. All of what you said there is really good when they ask about your free time so it's definitely worth mentioning because it will make you stand out against other candidates umm add something about that school which is different from other grammar schools, such as it's status/reputation/have a look at league tables in that area etc and maybe you know someone who goes/went there?

ReputationRep:
    If they ask you about yourself/things you currently do then definitely! A lot of schools try to do what they can to beat bullying so that's definitely a big plus in your favour. All of what you said there is really good when they ask about your free time so it's definitely worth mentioning because it will make you stand out against other candidates umm add something about that school which is different from other grammar schools, such as it's status/reputation/have a look at league tables in that area etc and maybe you know someone who goes/went there?
    Okay so this is my answer for the reasons why i want to apply
    1.you offer excellent enrichment facilities such as the EPQ and DofE which our school doesnt i believe that coming to a grammar school will enhance my academic ability, i believe that studying here will help me make wise choices for my future.
    2. I have read that majority of your students are accepted at russel group universities and i feel that coming to this school and being taught by teachers that are passionate about the subjects as the students will help me reach my goals in life

This is what i have got so far am i ovr doing it or is that alright???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wont lie, that's the perfect answers to give, it's not over doing it at all, as they'll want enthusiasm so they know you REALLY want to go to their school you'll be fine good luck and let me know how you get on!

ReputationRep:
    I go to a grammar school, I wasn't interviewed because I got in, in year 7, but this would be my advice:

• Know the school. Know it's house system if it has one, what's special about it, that kinda stuff. A browse of their website should work.
    • Know why you wanna go there. There are loads of grammar schools - what's special about this one? You'd have to be able to show that you really want to go to their school, and what's drawn you particularly there.
    • Show that you're worthy to get in If you know that you have the potential to do great, show them!
    • Show that you plan to get involved Show how you plan to get involved. Examples are prefecting, getting involved in house competitions, running clubs, joining school sports teams, anything to show you aren't just there to get the grades and do a runner. Show that you'll be a great fit for their 6th form!
    • Lastly, know what you plan to do in the future They'll want to know your goals, and that you're realistic and dedicated. Think about potential career choices, how your A Levels fit with those choices, and what your aspirations are in the future.

I'm sure you'll be fine though. Don't worry, talking to some of the new guys that joined my year last September, it wasn't that bad, and I don't understand how some of them even got past interviews - some don't talk at all.

Good luck on the interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazmasetro)
    I go to a grammar school, I wasn't interviewed because I got in, in year 7, but this would be my advice:

• Know the school. Know it's house system if it has one, what's special about it, that kinda stuff. A browse of their website should work.
    • Know why you wanna go there. There are loads of grammar schools - what's special about this one? You'd have to be able to show that you really want to go to their school, and what's drawn you particularly there.
    • Show that you're worthy to get in If you know that you have the potential to do great, show them!
    • Show that you plan to get involved Show how you plan to get involved. Examples are prefecting, getting involved in house competitions, running clubs, joining school sports teams, anything to show you aren't just there to get the grades and do a runner. Show that you'll be a great fit for their 6th form!
    • Lastly, know what you plan to do in the future They'll want to know your goals, and that you're realistic and dedicated. Think about potential career choices, how your A Levels fit with those choices, and what your aspirations are in the future.

I'm sure you'll be fine though. Don't worry, talking to some of the new guys that joined my year last September, it wasn't that bad, and I don't understand how some of them even got past interviews - some don't talk at all.

Good luck on the interview
    I wont lie, that's the perfect answers to give, it's not over doing it at all, as they'll want enthusiasm so they know you REALLY want to go to their school you'll be fine good luck and let me know how you get on!
    Thanks guys
    This really helped had the interview today it went great she asked about my future career plans my favourite sport and extra curricular stuff im doing and then i asked her few
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.