Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So my situation is rather difficult guys, I have been attending this school past 5 years, and everyone in my year got to talk with their Career's Advisor, they came out all happy and confident on where they want to go, whereas I missed my opportunity and subject choices came out now, and I still don't know what to choose!

I can't focus myself on one thing, I always dreamed of a career in Medicine, Dentistry - but hey, I never managed to be confident enough to keep on Chemistry, that's why I don't think I will bother. I do like Biology though, I do. My Double Award Science results at GCSE (first year modules - A*A*A*) so I can't say I did bad, but not good enough in my own head to believe I'll manage to keep a good grade up.

What came next? ICT - I was always interested in ICT, I did do rather good in this subject as well - A*. I decided to think of combining it with Maths, Physics and Business Studies - which I got all A*s in. But when I think about it, I don't think it's a strong combination, and I just can't see any interesting or wealthy degrees I will come out with after my university studies.

Can anyone help me?

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Physics
    Maths

Chemistry and Biology will be good for medicine and maths and physics for if you decide to go into computing. I don't think you need computing a level to study it at university, maths and physics will be more respected/ useful and can open more degrees if you decide you want to do something else

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheScientist_)
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Physics
    Maths

Chemistry and Biology will be good for medicine and maths and physics for if you decide to go into computing. I don't think you need computing a level to study it at university, maths and physics will be more respected/ useful and can open more degrees if you decide you want to do something else

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That looks like I will have a lot of workload, I don't think I can manage - I'm more of a listening learner and doing work at home isin't my strongest attribute. I mean, I could manage with those, until I see Chemistry in that list.

ReputationRep:
    Biology, Physics, Maths, ICT? Keeps some medicine open (most need Chemistry) but keeps ICT open too! Maths and Physics are really strong A levels- a lot of courses will take Maths and having a range might inspire you to do something more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheScientist_)
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Physics
    Maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I second this.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but I don't think I can cope with all three Science's and Maths included, yet alone three subjects would be difficult - not even mentioning four. Regarding The Biology, Physics, Maths, ICT - what kind of medical degree would be open for me? I can't really see anything that does not require Chemistry with that. I mean, I would be more than happy to keep these 4 subjects (and Polish included as 5'th)

ReputationRep:
    If you want to keep a medical degree open, you do chemistry. No one finds it easy but it's rewarding. If you're so hung up on doing medicine then simply do it

Do something like

Physics/Biology
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Computing/a subject you like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by borysek01)
    I'm sorry, but I don't think I can cope with all three Science's and Maths included, yet alone three subjects would be difficult - not even mentioning four. Regarding The Biology, Physics, Maths, ICT - what kind of medical degree would be open for me? I can't really see anything that does not require Chemistry with that. I mean, I would be more than happy to keep these 4 subjects (and Polish included as 5'th)
    Some universities (a very select few) will allow you to have EITHER chemistry OR biology. A few more will allow you to have Biology A2 and Chemistry AS as the entry requirement for medicine

ReputationRep:
    Harsh truth. If you'd not think you'll be able to handle 3 sciences and maths at A Level, you definitely won't be able to handle a medicine degree...

Or even any other degree.

ReputationRep:
    Biology
    Physics
    Maths
    Economics- Its better looked upon by uni's than business studies!

I have seen your not keen on chemistry but if you want to do medicine, chemistry is a must

ReputationRep:
    My science teacher said to me that if you're going to take biology a level, you should definitely take chemistry too as it helps with understanding and what not. But I took neither so I can't really say if that's true. Also many people say chemistry is easier than physics but I guess it depends on your strengths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What was it that made you loose your confidence with chemistry? I'm currently doing it at AS level and yes there is quite a lot to learn but if you have a good memory it's fine. I hear people say that chemistry is a really hard A level but it's really not too bad.

Also doing three sciences isn't a massive workload, in fact I may go as far as to say I have a smaller workload than some of my friends who take essay based subjects such as history and english.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    What was it that made you loose your confidence with chemistry? I'm currently doing it at AS level and yes there is quite a lot to learn but if you have a good memory it's fine. I hear people say that chemistry is a really hard A level but it's really not too bad.
    Nothing really, I got my A* in Chemistry at GCSE, 1 mark away from full UMS marks - not bad at all. I'm just not confident and I can't say I enjoy it as much as two other sciences. I had a chat with my careers advisor yesterday - we came across these three subjects:

Maths
    Physics
    I.C.T

and still think about the forth. Would you say I would open myself up if I chose Chemistry (maybe even drop it after finishing AS) and still be able to get into a medical course?

ReputationRep:
    You would need Chemistry A level for medicine. I would not pick ICT or computing, I picked computing and it's just complete waste of time, you don't learn anything even remotely useful and universities do not see it as a "hard subject". I do regret not picking chemistry instead of computing but I couldn't have predicted how pointless the computing A level was and during Year 11 I was set up on doing a computer science degree. I find physics okey especially if you do mechanics in Maths, and have been told by many people chemistry is easier than physics. (During year 11, I was repeatedly told chemistry was the hardest A level, so that was further motivation to pick computing instead).

Remember that the 3 sciences and maths overlap somewhat, which makes it much easier to understand topics and see the relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by borysek01)
    So my situation is rather difficult guys, I have been attending this school past 5 years, and everyone in my year got to talk with their Career's Advisor, they came out all happy and confident on where they want to go, whereas I missed my opportunity and subject choices came out now, and I still don't know what to choose!

I can't focus myself on one thing, I always dreamed of a career in Medicine, Dentistry - but hey, I never managed to be confident enough to keep on Chemistry, that's why I don't think I will bother. I do like Biology though, I do. My Double Award Science results at GCSE (first year modules - A*A*A*) so I can't say I did bad, but not good enough in my own head to believe I'll manage to keep a good grade up.

What came next? ICT - I was always interested in ICT, I did do rather good in this subject as well - A*. I decided to think of combining it with Maths, Physics and Business Studies - which I got all A*s in. But when I think about it, I don't think it's a strong combination, and I just can't see any interesting or wealthy degrees I will come out with after my university studies.

Can anyone help me?
    Biology
    Physics
    Maths
    Business Studies

Don't do Chemistry - not all universities need it for Medicine, and it's no fun at A level if you're not 100% sure you want to do it. Doing Business Studies in combination with your other subjects won't weaken your application, and it'll give you a break from Science/ Maths as it's predominantly essay based - shows you're a more well rounded individual

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.