Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciara mullan)
    yeah whats the name of the group thanks
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/598270750207041/

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing physical education and staying in denton holme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone! I'm hoping to start studying 'Working with children and families' in September this year at Fusehill Street. Apparently It's a new course so I'm still unsure! I have never been to Cumbria before so I'm excited to see what is in store for me..... Is it close to anything? Shops? Where is everyone staying?

ReputationRep:
    You staying at Carrock halls? It's a nice campus! This is the course am doing as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcunni1)
    Hello Everyone! I'm hoping to start studying 'Working with children and families' in September this year at Fusehill Street. Apparently It's a new course so I'm still unsure! I have never been to Cumbria before so I'm excited to see what is in store for me..... Is it close to anything? Shops? Where is everyone staying?
    Fusehill Street is the main campus, 15 minutes walk to town centre though only about from main drinking and take away area and across the road from the uni is a Spar, nearest large supermarket is about 25 minutes walk(big Tesco) there is a smaller Tesco in town centre.

There is a uni bar though its tiny and closes early but has cheap drink but the on site cafeteria is expensive

Carlisle in itself is what you make of it, it has a lot of chavs though none really in the student area

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am also studying primary education with QTS at fusehill street campus. Would be really nice to get to know some people before i go.

This is my facebook so feel free to add me - [Redacted by a mod - please use the pm system to exchange personal details]

Jess xxxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm also doing primary education with QTS!! I'm so excited!! Do you have your accommodation sorted?! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Emily, I've applied for Cumbria too found out yesterday they've accepted 😆 I'd be on the same campus as you as I'm doing policing, investigation and criminology... What course you studying??

By the way I'm Emma xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi ive got a place for adult nursing through clearing at fusehill campus starting in march, although im really happy ive got the place Im used to living in a place with lots to do and half decent night life, can anyone advise if they've still have a good uni experience as a student there, all I see is bad reviews about night life

Sarah xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Im living in carrock halld anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sazzah)
    Hi ive got a place for adult nursing through clearing at fusehill campus starting in march, although im really happy ive got the place Im used to living in a place with lots to do and half decent night life, can anyone advise if they've still have a good uni experience as a student there, all I see is bad reviews about night life

Sarah xxxx
    I moved a few years ago but not much has changed.

Carlisle USED to be amazing with multiple clubs, a union bar near the museum, a cocktail bar that had dirt cheap drinks and free bbqs but it got ruined by lazy students.

What happened was there used to be the Fusehill campus that only did teacher training and nursing, and a small beautiful campus part of the cathederal that did the courses like business and law, they built a new campus on the Fusehill site and only used the old beautiful one for admin, problem was that was where the union bar was and the cheap cocktail bar as well as 2 minutes walk from a beautiful bar that had a basement which was candlelit and old victorian building.

All 3 of the bars next to the old campus closed because they went from being packed every weekend and also multiple times during the week to everyone just going to the local Walkabout which is 5 minutes walk from the Fusehill campus, which just plays the usual awful chart music and no actual club music.

There also used to be a nightclub next to bus station which was a little chavvy but was massive and a excellent night out, and next to the Tesco was a club split into 3 sections, one was open for over 50 years and had people like the Beatles and the Rolling Stones play there in the past, says a lot when it closed as people preferred to go to awful places like Walkabout and Wetherspoons and when I was at the uni people were so lazy that I remember a 18 year old guy who had spiked up hair and loads of moisturiser on notice it was barely spitting with rain, and go to his friends "oh I am not walking in this, lets get a taxi" and like I say its literally 5 minutes walk to the bar! there is one on campus but its tiny and no one goes there really.

Concrete is a downstairs club but not that big and the drinks are so weak, they do things like a cocktail and a shot for £2, but one time I went in after having 3 cans of lager before getting there, 12 shots, and 12 cocktails and wasnt even tipsy!

There really is not much left now apart from clubs full of underage or loud students getting in fights, or pubs full of old men and chavs which is a shame as it used to be a excellent place for a night out.

The only great thing about Carlisle is the takeaways are dirt cheap and the only other place I have ever lived in the UK that comes close is Dumfries 35 miles away and they are dirt cheap like kebab chips and can for £4.50 and homemade chilli sauce.

Heres a tip, NEVER go on a night out on the last weekend of a month i.e pay day as thats when you get fights so bad they actually barricade off the road to traffic and have police vans ready, its best at the quiet times like Tuesdays and Thursdays and never walk down London Road late at night(thats when you get the chavvy guys wanting fights and harssing women)

I know theres also been people getting mugged in broad daylight on pay day weekends or when theres a football match on.

This is worst case scenario though, I lived there for almost 2 years aged 17, a year and a half aged 20 and a year when I was 28 and had no problems apart from random guys making nasty comments about my looks or calling me a freak(I am a nerdy autistic guy)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimcwitch)
    Hello! I've just chosen Cumbria as my firm choice for primary education. Who else has applied to, or firmed, Cumbria? I'd be on the Fusehill Street campus so it'd be really nice to know some more people who may go there too!

Emily xx
    Hey I'm going, I'm studying biology at fusehill street come September.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.