Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    [Deleted]

ReputationRep:
    Corporate lawyers need a degree in law or the graduate diploma in law. But the work they do and the work management consultants do is quite different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SC96)
    To keep it short, I want to have a future career in either corporate law or business management (such as marketing, operations management, etc.).

I take IB Economics, IB Business, and IB English at Higher levels, and have good grades in all of them (7-7-6).

Either way, I am planning to take undergraduate Law in the UK, at the likes of Oxford/LSE/UCL. And I then plan to gain some work experience afterwards, and get an MBA in business in the USA.

My question is, how efficient is this? Will it be worthwhile getting an undergrad law degree in the UK, if my ultimate goal is to become a corporate lawyer or a businessman? Could I make better use of that time with another type of degree?

I was told by trustworthy surroundings, as well as some counselors, that my choice was a good one. However, I'm not sure if LLB in Jurisprudence/Law is truly the best track to take, considering I do not aim to practice Law in its pure form.

Any opinions? I will post more relevant information upon request if necessary! Thanks to everyone

-SC96
    Warwick has a law and business 4-year degree that might suit.

Being a corporate lawyer will teach you to be a corporate lawyer. Being a businessman will teach you to be a businessman. With the exception of highly quantitative or technical roles, you will receive on-the-job training for your job. What employers care about is that you went to a decent uni and did well there in a relatively solid subject. So, I wouldn't worry about how the degree prepares you for the job.

As to whether you could make a better use of time with a different degree, that is for you to work out. It depends on what you enjoy. Keep in mind that, on a law degree, you have to do subjects as disparate as equity and criminal law; land law and EU law. Make sure you enjoy more than one aspect of law and your motivation is not solely vocational - otherwise the degree will be quite painful to get through. Your jurisprudence tutor will still demand a high standard of work from you, whether or not you only like contract and would rather watch paint dry than study jurisprudence.

All this being said, whatever you do, don't spend your undergraduate degree studying just Business Administration. (Admittedly, a personal bias but one that is also confirmed by some employers.)

ReputationRep:
    MBAs are not particularly useful for corporate lawyers. If you want to do an MBA with a view to becoming a businessperson then you might be better off studying something like economics or finance. You can certainly do an MBA after being a lawyer for a bit but it is not the most common route.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.