Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Diabetes/Health Problems Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've just applied for my provisional for the first time. I'm a diabetic and so as such checked the box stating so. It mentioned something about the health department but nothing else yet when I search on google it says something about a form but always seems to link to people newly diagnosed with type 2 rather than type 1.

Do I wait to be contacted by the DVLA or is there something I need to do?

AW
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen this yet?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's the form I mentioned. I applied via direct.gov and checked the box stating I am a diabetic, I was given no further communications during or after the application on whether I needed to do anything further such as fill in the form hence me being confused

They should send you the form to fill out (or a letter telling you where you can find it) before they process your application. You won't get a provisional license without it.

ReputationRep:
    If your type 1 you definetly need to inform the DVLA (insulin puts you at risk of hypoglycemia) and you will most likely be put on a 3 year medicly restricted license (i.e every 3 years your doctor has to tick a box to say you can continue to drive)

If your type 2 usually you dont need to inform the DVLA however if you are on pills / injections which put you at risk of hypoglycemia then you do and are in the same pot as type 1s for driving. I cant remember the specific medications that do this (injections always will, some of the tablets do)

You are always recommended to take your blood sugar before driving and if your on a long journey every 2 hours that you are driving for, if your sugar is <5.0 mmol/l then you should eat something before you drive (not the usual 4.0 or 3.5 for hypoglycemia).

The reason they do this is so they can check with your doctor that you can still control your blood sugars and you are aware when they are too low. If you are unaware or are at risk of severe hypo's then that can lead to you passing out behind the wheel etc.

If you do not declare it to the DVLA and you are involved in an accident where your medical conditions could be a factor (police / insurance WILL make it a factor if they can) then you can be charged with Driving under the Influence of Drugs (Driving ban + hefty + i think a criminal conviction). Presciption drugs and illegal substances all fall under this law.

Source: Just went through the whole process myself with type 1 diabetes.

PS: You can print of the form and mail it to the DVLA, it is a DIAB1 form, be VERY careful of your answers as the DVLA like to be dicks with your license if they can.

ReputationRep:
    I'd discovered that online anyway, do I need to fill the form in myself or will it be sent out to me? I ticked the box on my direct.gov application saying I have diabetes, have also recieved my identity check letter from the DVLA as well but nothing else.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.