Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm English, and I'm still deciding on where I should firm. I live within 20 minutes of one of my choices, but Queen's is the other place I'm looking at and I'm worried about costs. I get a £4588 a year loan, but looking a budgets has me spending a good 2k over that.

So, background over, I was wondering how easy (or difficult) it is to get part-time work in Belfast (or in the uni itself) for me to supplement my living cost loan?

ReputationRep:
    This is what I need to know! How you planning on getting from England to Belfast..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DigeriDoobie)
    This is what I need to know! How you planning on getting from England to Belfast..?
    Glad I'm not alone :P
    Probably by coach/train to London and then catching a flight, you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jahlila)
    Glad I'm not alone :P
    Probably by coach/train to London and then catching a flight, you?
    Yeah brother, probably the same. Coach to Londons not bad from where I am. You know roughly how much them flights are gunna be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DigeriDoobie)
    Yeah brother, probably the same. Coach to Londons not bad from where I am. You know roughly how much them flights are gunna be?
    Depends, Flybe or British Airways?
    Flybe ~ £68 to Belfast and £38 back.
    A return ticket with BA (if you're flying by BA you might as well get a return, as they'll let you spread it across a few months) = £57 each way.

Flybe is cheaper, but you can take extra luggage with BA (3kg extra - so 23 kg - in baggage and 20kg in hand luggage - with the extra limitation saying you have to be able to lift it into the compartments above by yourself).

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Keep checking the QUB SU website - job advertisements for flexible student employment in SU run bars and shops normally go up in July/August! Even if you aren't sure if you'll get into Queen's between waiting on results and finishing exams it can do no harm applying anyway

http://www.qubsu.org/

Plus, you should check sites such as Student Beans etc as they advertise student jobs. Other than that, do some research for shops and bars in Belfast and see if they advertise any student employment - it might be a shot in the dark but it could work! Stranmillis, Botanic, University Area, City Centre and Lisburn Road would be the handiest locations for student jobs! Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cmca1)
    Hi! Keep checking the QUB SU website - job advertisements for flexible student employment in SU run bars and shops normally go up in July/August! Even if you aren't sure if you'll get into Queen's between waiting on results and finishing exams it can do no harm applying anyway

http://www.qubsu.org/

Plus, you should check sites such as Student Beans etc as they advertise student jobs. Other than that, do some research for shops and bars in Belfast and see if they advertise any student employment - it might be a shot in the dark but it could work! Stranmillis, Botanic, University Area, City Centre and Lisburn Road would be the handiest locations for student jobs! Hope this helps!
    That helps a lot! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I'm from England (...well actually live in Thailand at present but permenant address is in Norwich) and was about to ask the same question, glad to see it's already been answered. From what I've been hearing, the weekends are pretty empty and I was thinking that might be a good time to earn some money. Also - I hope I'll get to meet people who also stay the weekends as well. So I suppose my question now would be; what are the pay-rates for part time work around the university area (...say working as a bartender or customer service)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simonwoods)
    I'm from England (...well actually live in Thailand at present but permenant address is in Norwich) and was about to ask the same question, glad to see it's already been answered. From what I've been hearing, the weekends are pretty empty and I was thinking that might be a good time to earn some money. Also - I hope I'll get to meet people who also stay the weekends as well. So I suppose my question now would be; what are the pay-rates for part time work around the university area (...say working as a bartender or customer service)?
    Probably £6/7 per hour! Student Union jobs are flexible and since they're basically jobs in University owned shops and bars, they won't expect you to work long hours etc.

But there are also lots of bars, shops and restaurants in the area too

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.