The Student Room Group

Need advice-JSA and college

I'm looking at applying for a few courses with my local college yet unemployed and claiming JSA. I have read already on this forum that I can study 15 hours or so. Yet I am wanting to study at least two p/t courses which would add up to more than 15 hours (don't need a Physics degree to work that one out! :tongue:) so I would like to understand the potential charge if anybody knows (its not exactly something I can ring the civic centre to inquire about..) before I go and do anything silly.

Would like facts if possible and not theory in this instance, thanks to anybody who knows in advance.
JSA is about proving how you spend your time looking for jobs and being available for interviews/jobs. Studying should be no different if you were working and studying in your spare time. You are quite entitled to put down one course but JSA needs to show your committment to getting a job. You should be able to ask them directly how it impacts you directly if you were to take up the studies.
Original post by L1Qu1D
I'm looking at applying for a few courses with my local college yet unemployed and claiming JSA. I have read already on this forum that I can study 15 hours or so. Yet I am wanting to study at least two p/t courses which would add up to more than 15 hours (don't need a Physics degree to work that one out! :tongue:) so I would like to understand the potential charge if anybody knows (its not exactly something I can ring the civic centre to inquire about..) before I go and do anything silly.

Would like facts if possible and not theory in this instance, thanks to anybody who knows in advance.

I was on JSA and could only study for 15 hours per week, if I studied more than that I would lose my JSA. Also if you do take part in part time study, the job centre will expect you to quit your course if a suitable job came up for you.

They can, and will, find out how many hours you're doing in college. As your on JSA you'll pay less fee's and will have to prove that you're on JSA - they will likely contact the job centre. When I was on JSA they asked for information on my course, including names etc of people at the college, who they contacted to confirm my hours etc.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending